Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
In theory, pulling the rip cord would be great. It just ignores the reality of the market. There are only 2 types of goalies that are available right now. The first are the #3 sorts that teams don't want to lose, but didn't win a NHL job with them. Kolosov and Lyon types (I frankly would welcome Lyon with open arms, but I'm not under the illusion he's a legit starter). Those types don't solve the issue. They only add another Annunen type name, where George is clearly more talented than them.

The other type are guys like George. Guys who have been starters (and maybe not good ones) and struggled where teams are willing to pull the rip cord themselves. Elvis, Gibson, George, Grubauer. It is a pure bet that any of them regain form with a change of scenery. That would be the whole bet. I would probably investigate these, but the Avs have been typically hesitant to make these moves early and odds are it would be assets/cash wasted. Just would go against their MO.

Solution type guys only become available later in the season in offseasons. Markstrom could have been had last season (and the price was quite high), but it wasn't until Dec/Jan that things could really get moving. The teams that have these guys and would move them want to wait and see how their season pans out. At this point, nobody's hopes and dreams have been dashed... so teams will hold onto actual good players, playing at a high level for a while. Realistically, we're looking at January at the earlier. Maybe an odd situation plays out in December... but a couple months away from those guys.

With all of that, the Avs are going to try like hell to have Georgiev find his form. It likely won't work, or if it does, it'll only be for a short bit. They know he offers something the #3 sorts can't. The change of scenery guys might be an option, but odds are that is reshuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. So you push George in the meantime until a solution type guy becomes available.

All that said, and I'm certainly in the minority, I'd give Gibson a run if you could get Anaheim to retain ~2.5m. Swap George and Gibson with a sweetener. See if Gibson can find his motivation and game again.
Honestly with 3 years left at $6.4M and with his numbers the past 5 years - even though the Ducks have not been good - I don't think it should take a sweetener to acquire him unless they feel like OO or Foudy is a sweetener for them.

He's always injured too which is tough when you're backup isn't really established.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Honestly with 3 years left at $6.4M and with his numbers the past 5 years - even though the Ducks have not been good - I don't think it should take a sweetener to acquire him unless they feel like OO or Foudy is a sweetener for them.

He's always injured too which is tough when you're backup isn't really established.
Retention tends to cost, especially ownership as cheap as Anaheim’s.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
At what point does Georgiev's clear higher skill level/potential no longer outweigh his actual on-ice shit performances?

I get keeping him around if he was more talented than our backup. But I've got to ask the question...is he really?

Justus or the FNG should start Saturday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At what point does Georgiev's clear higher skill level/potential no longer outweigh his actual on-ice shit performances?

I get keeping him around if he was more talented than our backup. But I've got to ask the question...is he really?

Justus or the FNG should start Saturday.
When the the better options come available on the trade market. We need some teams to have the bottom fall out while having a goalie that is expendable or nearing the end of their contract. Binnington and Jarry are probably most likely. The highest end is if Silovs takes the net from Demko and Vancouver has the bottom fall out. That's the type of situation the Avs really need to happen midseason.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
When the the better options come available on the trade market. We need some teams to have the bottom fall out while having a goalie that is expendable or nearing the end of their contract. Binnington and Jarry are probably most likely. The highest end is if Silovs takes the net from Demko and Vancouver has the bottom fall out. That's the type of situation the Avs really need to happen midseason.
If we end up with Binnington I will start rooting for the Wild.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad