Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A situation to monitor is in Vancouver. If Demko returns and is ok, and both Lankinen and Silovs are "fine", they might be willing to let go of Lankinen.
I’d say he falls in that Lyon tier. Not really a solution… just flex sealing the dam

Grub was so much better than Georgiev when he was here….
Nah… that was all salary related. Grubi wanted the average proven NHL starter salary and Avs didn’t want to pay it. If he only wanted 3.5m per, he would still be here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well obviously, there are no solutions available. And probably won't be. At this point we are looking at career backups stepping up.
Agreed… which was my whole point, we have to wait this out until the season unfolds a bit. We can’t even realistically give the net to Annunen until the decision to move on from George is completely decided.

Reactions: LOFIN

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Agreed… which was my whole point, we have to wait this out until the season unfolds a bit. We can’t even realistically give the net to Annunen until the decision to move on from George is completely decided.
If management goes to Georgiev and tells him we want to evaluate Annunen for a stretch and by the way use the time to get your head on straight, what is Georgiev going to do, quit on the team? This is a contract year for him, and considering how things have gone for him, it looks likely that if he gets another NHL contract, it will be as a backup. He's less likely to get that contract if there are reports that he's been a poor teammate on two teams. He's probably looking at a starter role in Liiga next year unless he can either prove he's an NHL-caliber starter (unlikely) or prove he can be a good teammate and accept fewer games.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If management goes to Georgiev and tells him we want to evaluate Annunen for a stretch and by the way use the time to get your head on straight, what is Georgiev going to do, quit on the team? This is a contract year for him, and considering how things have gone for him, it looks likely that if he gets another NHL contract, it will be as a backup. He's less likely to get that contract if there are reports that he's been a poor teammate on two teams. He's probably looking at a starter role in Liiga next year unless he can either prove he's an NHL-caliber starter (unlikely) or prove he can be a good teammate and accept fewer games.
If he loses his net, he’s even more unlikely to get a contract. He’s known as a poor teammate and has never had a good backup mentality. He has caused issues in the locker room when being a backup and it hurt his play alongside losing his teammates. Teams won’t forget the issues from prior years even if he somehow accepts it.

There is just way more risk in sitting him than is worth it today. A couple months from now is likely a different story. The Avs have to be ready to move on from him to turn over the net.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have to make sure that Annunen is better than Georgiev first. Yesterday's game wasn't convincing, to say the least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We have to make sure that Annunen is better than Georgiev first. Yesterday's game wasn't convincing, to say the least.
I think it is less on Annunen than George. The decision has to first be on if George is the guy for this year? The answer is probably no, but you have to know that before moving away. He's way too volatile of a player, so you have to be willing to dump him in any manner possible if you move away from him. From that decision, you can turn to Annunen or any other available goalie. It isn't just Annunen. It is Annunen or Lyon or Elvis or Grubi or Kolosov etc etc.

Annunen can be worse than George and it still be the right decision to move away from George. Forcing it to one or the other narrows it artificially.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think it is less on Annunen than George. The decision has to first be on if George is the guy for this year? The answer is probably no, but you have to know that before moving away. He's way too volatile of a player, so you have to be willing to dump him in any manner possible if you move away from him. From that decision, you can turn to Annunen or any other available goalie. It isn't just Annunen. It is Annunen or Lyon or Elvis or Grubi or Kolosov etc etc.

Annunen can be worse than George and it still be the right decision to move away from George. Forcing it to one or the other narrows it artificially.
I don't know why you leave the door open for Georgiev to get his shit together though. He's too broken, he's never coming back from there...even the whole summer changed nothing. Yesterday he looked like game 1 against the Jets in round 1.

It would cost assets to "upgrade" to a guy like Grubauer, Gibson, Lyon or Elvis and the Avs shouldn't do that. If you pay assets get someone better.

The good news is since Georgiev' contract ends at the end of the season getting rid of his ass shouldn't be too hard...especially at the deadline. Until then just waive his ass and send him to the AHL like they did with Campbell. Or send him to a team that will waive his ass, for cap relief.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Annunen was on another planet of bad last night. He was somehow worse than George. Even the goal that got called back was an absolute stinker.

Avs have really backed themselves into a corner here, because of course they didn't adequately address the #3 goalie situation either, unless Mandolese is some kind of diamond in the rough.

I'm really not sure where to go from here, if the goaltending doesn't rebound significantly they'll be in a pretty substantial hole by December.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know why you leave the door open for Georgiev to get his shit together though. He's too broken, he's never coming back from there...even the whole summer changed nothing. Yesterday he looked like game 1 against the Jets in round 1.

It would cost assets to "upgrade" to a guy like Grubauer, Gibson, Lyon or Elvis and the Avs shouldn't do that. If you pay assets get someone better.

The good news is since Georgiev' contract ends at the end of the season getting rid of his ass shouldn't be too hard...especially at the deadline. Until then just waive his ass and send him to the AHL like they did with Campbell. Or send him to a team that will waive his ass, for cap relief.
You leave the door open because he's the only internal option with the talent to be successful at the rate the Avs need. If he can't figure it out the Avs will be forced into making a move. Right now, only the guys you listed are our there (Gibson might be worth it, but rest are similar risks). Actual solutions need time before they are available this season. Rolling with Annunen and Mandolese might be a death sentence.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Alright f*** it

Fowler (50% retained) + Gibson

for

Girard + Georgiev + Wood + Ritchie

Ducks get 6 years younger from Fowler to Girard, take back the lengthy Wood contract, get Georgiev to be a backup to Dostal for one year and get a high-end prospect in Ritchie.

Avs get someone to replace Girard for this season and next at a reduced cap hit and a starter who has shown he's capable of elite play IF he stays healthy. IMO Gibson's market has tanked over the years and even this might be a lot but sometimes you gotta go drastic.

Kovalenko IMO showed me in one game he can replace Wood on the 3rd line once the Avs top six players are healthy.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
When has a team last traded for a top level goalie mid season and won a cup?

Last TDL goalie hype I remember was Ryan Miller to STL and it ended up badly, STL paid A LOT and Miller was a lot worse than he was in Buffalo.

If we were to acquire a goalie mid season we should do that ASAP so the goalie can adapt.

Reactions: Balthazar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Last TDL goalie hype I remember was Ryan Miller to STL and it ended up badly, STL paid A LOT and Miller was a lot worse than he was in Buffalo.

If we were to acquire a goalie mid season we should do that ASAP so the goalie can adapt.
I’m sure there has been at least one since… but Roy here is a screaming example.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah for most goalies is takes a while to adapt to a new team/system.

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I’m sure there has been at least one since… but Roy here is a screaming example.

Yeah, I was thinking about Roy. But it was a long time ago and Roy was generational talent.

Would be fun to hear an example from the last 20 years. I couldn't think of one.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What’s tough for me is that there’s no way we couldn’t have just gambled on a goalie like Samsonov for what Vegas got him for. He has a similar skill set to Georgiev and he’s half the price. Not to mention we do well with former Caps goalies :naughty:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, I was thinking about Roy. But it was a long time ago and Roy was generational talent.

Would be fun to hear an example from the last 20 years. I couldn't think of one.
I can't think of a trade in the cap era (or since Roy)... guys from the minors like Binnington and Hill exist. Or guys stepping in as rookies or young goalies like Ward, Niemi or Crawford who were up for a whole season. It is pretty rare.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So when do we find the Georgiev replacement? Who’s actually someone the Avs can target cause I can’t watch this bum all year.
I expect the Avs are probably already in talks with some teams about getting a Georgiev replacement as soon as possible. Now this isn't going to be an 'amazing' replacement that's going to be awesome but I think someone that's just going to be steady enough to give them quality starts without necessarily going .920+ .

I think the Avs will turn to Washington once again. They have both Lindgren and Thompson in the last year of their contracts.

Lindgren was very good for them last season as their starter replacing Kuemper for 50 games. He's got 1 year left at $1.1M. (.911 on the Caps is quite an achievement)

Thompson asked for a trade from VGK so he could become a starter somewhere - which he got when he was traded to the Caps for two 3rd round picks. He started 46 games last year with a .908 sv % and 25 wins. He's been a steady back-up for a while now and was strong in the playoffs. He's only making 766k on the last year of his deal and will likely be looking to cash-in - after that insane D'accord deal.

So I don't know which one the Capitals will want to invest in to be their future starter but I could see the Avs trading for the other one. With Georgiev going the other way + some other incentive that's going to make the Caps say yes. At worst, George is their backup that rolls off the cap at the end of the season.

Otherwise, there are a few veteran goaltenders that maybe have several years left on their deal where a 1-for-1 deal for Georgiev makes it appealing just to move on from the guy they have signed long-term just to get away from the long-term cap hit. (Merzlikins, Varly, etc)

In any case, it's probably going to take some time but I have to believe that management is as fed-up and concerned with the goaltending as we are.

Lastly, I don't even know if it's possible but I expect that IF it is, the Avs will be pushing as hard as they can to bring Nabokov over as soon as his season is over (even if he did sign an extension or not - $$$$ can change things).

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I expect the Avs are probably already in talks with some teams about getting a Georgiev replacement as soon as possible. Now this isn't going to be an 'amazing' replacement that's going to be awesome but I think someone that's just going to be steady enough to give them quality starts without necessarily going .920+ .

I think the Avs will turn to Washington once again. They have both Lindgren and Thompson in the last year of their contracts.

Lindgren was very good for them last season as their starter replacing Kuemper for 50 games. He's got 1 year left at $1.1M. (.911 on the Caps is quite an achievement)

Thompson asked for a trade from VGK so he could become a starter somewhere - which he got when he was traded to the Caps for two 3rd round picks. He started 46 games last year with a .908 sv % and 25 wins. He's been a steady back-up for a while now and was strong in the playoffs. He's only making 766k on the last year of his deal and will likely be looking to cash-in - after that insane D'accord deal.

So I don't know which one the Capitals will want to invest in to be their future starter but I could see the Avs trading for the other one. With Georgiev going the other way + some other incentive that's going to make the Caps say yes. At worst, George is their backup that rolls off the cap at the end of the season.

Otherwise, there are a few veteran goaltenders that maybe have several years left on their deal where a 1-for-1 deal for Georgiev makes it appealing just to move on from the guy they have signed long-term just to get away from the long-term cap hit. (Merzlikins, Varly, etc)

In any case, it's probably going to take some time but I have to believe that management is as fed-up and concerned with the goaltending as we are.

Lastly, I don't even know if it's possible but I expect that IF it is, the Avs will be pushing as hard as they can to bring Nabokov over as soon as his season is over (even if he did sign an extension or not - $$$$ can change things).
The avs going back to the goalie mill of Washington once again would be funny lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad