Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Really more to the point--shitty drafting and development is what killed the Avs. Just think if Jost had panned out as a good two-way 2C or even halfway decent 3C how that would have affected the last 2 years at least. Would've allowed them to spend the assets they used on trying to upgrade the center corps on other areas.

Correction: They DEFINITELY would not have traded Toews, certainly not for the super-cheap price the Avs got for him.

The flat cap killed a lot of teams. Frankly it didn't hurt the Avs nearly as much as it hurt others.

This is about as old and repeated a phrase as "Zadorov is only __!"

Yeah, 2C, and drafting outside of the top 10 are big factors.

I'm not looking forward to this strategy of keeping 1st rounders at all.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Right

I wouldn't be surprised though, if this extends through the new year. That's just because then the management will actually have a better view of the future. What it holds for Landy and Nuke, how Rantanen and Drouin have played etc.

It will be hard to keep Rantanen cap wise if Landy and Nuke return. If Drouin at that point has played very well, he's open for an extension after new year as well (at least I think?). So going to be some hard decisions regardless.

I think they move Val out east next summer, if Landy has a solid season. They'll need to cut a big salary.

I can see him going to NYI. Maybe as a Nelson replacement. Roy would love him, Sorokin, Varly, and Romanov on the roster, and proximity to NYC which may appeal to Val.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
IMO, COVID is what really hurt the Avs. The reduced cap has all but destroyed their post Cup window. Had the cap been were it is now, 2 years ago, they likely have a lot better depth than they did the last 2 years.

That and Landy's injury has hurt them a lot more than we all realize.... and, of course, Nuke's stupidity hasn't helped.

100%. Avs just got screwed by the timing. Flat cap right when they had raises for Landy, Nate, and Toews, and pending UFA's like Kadri. Val possibly too in a year or so.

Byram as well to an extent. They had to make a cap choice between Toews/Byram/Girard, that they probably wouldn't have with a bigger cap.

Similar thing happened when the cap was first introduced, losing Forsberg, Foote, and Tanguay.

Doesn't have anything to do with the window narrative IMO. They'd be in a great place if they had Kadri at 2C, perhaps still Colton at 3C, and Ritchie to work in slowly for the future, with Byram as a possibility to take over Toews role as he ages.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Someone one the main boards mentioned that Dallas, Carolina, and Colorado are the only three teams behind Edmonton in the order who had enough capspace to make a claim for Lavoie, so that narrows it down further.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wonder if we see a prospect swap trade soon if they're unable to add someone via waivers.

That is, basically trade one of Olausson or Foudy (neither of whom impressed Bednar this preseason) for another teams reclamation prospect who has also passed through waivers already but might have a glimmer of upside with a change of scenery.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Someone one the main boards mentioned that Dallas, Carolina, and Colorado are the only three teams behind Edmonton in the order who had enough capspace to make a claim for Lavoie, so that narrows it down further.
I haven’t looked through those teams, but if they have anybody they can send down without waivers or willing to expose to waivers, they can make claims.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad