Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think a lot of you guys have a ton of recency bias when it comes to Kadri. Yes, he was incredible during the cup run and became a core player during that season. But have you all forgotten what he was like before that? He was a complete net negative player, dragging down his linemates and wasting offensive chances. How were the Avs supposed to know which version of Kadri they were going to get long term, especially as age caught up with him? Signing 30+ year old players to big, long term deals is exactly how you guarantee our window closes at some point.

As much as I love him, I'm glad the Avs didn't give Kadri the deal he got in Calgary.

As for Manson, if they let him walk, they would immediately need to go looking for a replacement. It's not like you can easily just go out and find big physical top-4 right d who aren't complete liabilities offensively.

I think re-signing Manson was the right move, because it allowed the team down the line to deal from a position of strength - they could afford to trade whoever made the most sense out of Toews, Byram, Girard and Manson when the time came, leaving them still with a very solid top 4. And I personally don't blame them for not going with a top four of Makar, Toews, Byram and Girard.

So signing Kadri would be a mistake because he’s older and past his prime. But signing Manson, who was 30 and had an extensive injury history made sense because he filled a certain role? I understand letting Kadri go, but for the same reasons people didn’t want to bring Kadri back is the close enough to the same reasoning Manson shouldn’t have been brought back.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
So signing Kadri would be a mistake because he’s older and past his prime. But signing Manson, who was 30 and had an extensive injury history made sense because he filled a certain role? I understand letting Kadri go, but for the same reasons people didn’t want to bring Kadri back is the close enough to the same reasoning Manson shouldn’t have been brought back.
I think it was all a mistake and the Avs should've just started the rebuild the second that cup was lifted.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes, a Kadri re-sign would have been problematic on its own, obviously no one expected him to repeat his stellar career year and that deal would've aged like milk left outside. It just irritates me to no end that there was no Plan B whatsoever. They just threw up their hands and said "Eh, we'll just go with center-by-committee (again) and figure it out at the deadline," which of course they didn't.

And I don't believe for a second that the Avs truly believed Newhook would evolve into a viable #2 center. At least the coaches had to have known at that point. If management didn't, then they were either deluding themselves or are even worse at talent evaluation than I feared.

It's just stupid to me that the team won a Cup and followed up their title defense by failing to shore up the very weakness that, when addressed, directly led to their first championship in over 20 years.

Again, getting Manson was a great idea. Keeping him was not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, a Kadri re-sign would have been problematic on its own, obviously no one expected him to repeat his stellar career year and that deal would've aged like milk left outside. It just irritates me to no end that there was no Plan B whatsoever. They just threw up their hands and said "Eh, we'll just go with center-by-committee (again) and figure it out at the deadline," which of course they didn't.

And I don't believe for a second that the Avs truly believed Newhook would evolve into a viable #2 center. At least the coaches had to have known at that point. If management didn't, then they were either deluding themselves or are even worse at talent evaluation than I feared.

It's just stupid to me that the team won a Cup and followed up their title defense by failing to shore up the very weakness that, when addressed, directly led to their first championship in over 20 years.

Again, getting Manson was a great idea. Keeping him was not.
This.

The title defense was an abysmal effort. IMO the Avs approached it like "we'll have 6 kicks at this can, so we don't need to go hard after 2023." Which is how teams end up wasting away what they have left. The management gave it a great effort last season and tried... it just didn't work for various reasons. I fault that less. But even the most generous realize the time is ticking now.

Reactions: Pokecheque

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Handful is 5 unless you've been playing with fireworks or have a family tree that doesn't branch. In the world of availability of players 1-2 a year is a completely different realm than 5 a year. So it is twisting it quite a bit.

I've always stated you can get players, it just takes a willingness to pay the price. The Avs were not willing to pay the price for a long time, eventually they relented. Prior to trading Byram, I stated fairly often that he was the piece to use for that trade because he had the combo of expendability and value. Many scoffed at that idea. The Avs could have solved the 2C issue right after keeping Manson by trading Byram then. None of this would be talked about because they would have addressed the 2C spot immediately and not waited 1.5 seasons to do so.

The 2C spot is the primary issue. Avs thought they could buck history and cheap out on that spot. Which you can find a few times where it has happened. But generally (like 90++% of the time) you need to be strong down the middle in the NHL to contend for Cups. In the end, the Avs agreed. It just took them a while.

I am baffled that people are 100% okay with how the Avs approached things since the Cup. I don't blame them for last season as much. From where they were after 22-23 and the pieces they had... They tried and it just didn't work. 22-23 was a pretty epic failure that put 23-24 behind the curve, maybe to a point where it isn't recoverable for this core. If the Avs only win 1 Cup with this core, the 2022 offseason will be one of the largest reasons why.
A handful doesn't mean 5. It is not a representation of the number of fingers in a hand... It is a representation of a small quantity that fits in the palm of a hand, being synonymous to "a few". Using "a few", "a handful", "some" isn't twisting your words at all...

The Avs were without a 2C for one playoff run, which anyway was derailed by the absence of Landeskog and Nishuchkin. They wouldn't have won the cup that year anyway. The 2nd year they had Mitts. And I would argue that they are in a better position now with Mitts signed at $5.75M for 3 years than they would have been with Kadri at $7M for 5 more years...

I have been saying and agreeing from Day 1 that the Avs f***ed-up the trade deadline in Year 1 because they were supposed to acquire a 2C. Their failure has cost them a shot that year, which turned-out to be that they had no shot anyway because of Landeskog and Nichushkin. It still doesn't change the fact that they messed-up that trade deadline.

But they had their 2C in Year 2. So the Kadri decision isn't what will define the result of this team for the 5 years following that summer... It is the Landeskog injury 1st, then it is the Nichushkin debacle second. I would argue EJ refusing to waive comes before the Kadri decision... Then you can maybe get an argument about whether its Kadri or a handful of other elements are next in line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A handful doesn't mean 5. It is not a representation of the number of fingers in a hand... It is a representation of a small quantity that fits in the palm of a hand, being synonymous to "a few". Using "a few", "a handful", "some" isn't twisting your words at all...

The Avs were without a 2C for one playoff run, which anyway was derailed by the absence of Landeskog and Nishuchkin. They wouldn't have won the cup that year anyway. The 2nd year they had Mitts. And I would argue that they are in a better position now with Mitts signed at $5.75M for 3 years than they would have been with Kadri at $7M for 5 more years...

I have been saying and agreeing from Day 1 that the Avs f***ed-up the trade deadline in Year 1 because they were supposed to acquire a 2C. Their failure has cost them a shot that year, which turned-out to be that they had no shot anyway because of Landeskog and Nichushkin. It still doesn't change the fact that they messed-up that trade deadline.

But they had their 2C in Year 2. So the Kadri decision isn't what will define the result of this team for the 5 years following that summer... It is the Landeskog injury 1st, then it is the Nichushkin debacle second. I would argue EJ refusing to waive comes before the Kadri decision... Then you can maybe get an argument about whether its Kadri or a handful of other elements are next in line.

You have a background of twisting words, even clear sarcasm, to fit a gotcha sort of narrative that you create. 1-2 or a couple... accurate. Handful is, IMO, being deceitful. Given your history, I would say it is purposeful.

They had their 2C for a deadline push. Not the whole year. Which leads to different issues. It is a key position that is not nearly as easily able to be transitioned in at the end. Mitts played great, especially in the playoffs. But he did cost a key asset that if wasn't still here could have been utilized elsewhere. It isn't just Manson for Kadri, it is the extranous that is impacted to. Namely having to utilize Byram to get Mitts (and a 1st to get rid of RyJo).

Kadri isn't what will define. It will be the Avs lack of aggressiveness to fill their lineup weaknesses. They are far too willing to wait on young players to take over roles, when those young players are questionable to even fill those roles.

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
You have a background of twisting words, even clear sarcasm, to fit a gotcha sort of narrative that you create. 1-2 or a couple... accurate. Handful is, IMO, being deceitful. Given your history, I would say it is purposeful.

They had their 2C for a deadline push. Not the whole year. Which leads to different issues. It is a key position that is not nearly as easily able to be transitioned in at the end. Mitts played great, especially in the playoffs. But he did cost a key asset that if wasn't still here could have been utilized elsewhere. It isn't just Manson for Kadri, it is the extranous that is impacted to. Namely having to utilize Byram to get Mitts (and a 1st to get rid of RyJo).

Kadri isn't what will define. It will be the Avs lack of aggressiveness to fill their lineup weaknesses. They are far too willing to wait on young players to take over roles, when those young players are questionable to even fill those roles.
...and the 2nd used to get Eller

Reactions: henchman21

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean chances are the Avs don’t win the cup down Landy/Nuke, but that was already the case with no 2C. If they had a Kadri/Mitts guy at 2C like they should’ve they would’ve at least won a round or two. The crux of the whole situation is that the FO couldn’t have handled the post cup win seasons any worse. Last year was a step in the right direction but because of how they mishandled the 22/23 season they had to use a pretty major asset to fix the hole they ignored.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This.

The title defense was an abysmal effort. IMO the Avs approached it like "we'll have 6 kicks at this can, so we don't need to go hard after 2023." Which is how teams end up wasting away what they have left. The management gave it a great effort last season and tried... it just didn't work for various reasons. I fault that less. But even the most generous realize the time is ticking now.

I still blame our team doctors for not giving the GM a clear pathforward regarding landeskog. If we had known he'd be LTIR for all of reg season, the kadri deal would have been signed and we'd try to figure it out later.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Handful is 5 unless you've been playing with fireworks or have a family tree that doesn't branch.

I counted my fingers.

too-many-counting.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
That's a creative take... I used proper terminology, you applied a wrong definition, and I'm the one twisting words... OK.

I don't have a background of twisting words. If anything, I have a background of highlighting people moving goalposts. Probably coming from the famous "window closing with Mack's contract" debate.

Reactions: Alienblood

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I mean chances are the Avs don’t win the cup down Landy/Nuke, but that was already the case with no 2C. If they had a Kadri/Mitts guy at 2C like they should’ve they would’ve at least won a round or two. The crux of the whole situation is that the FO couldn’t have handled the post cup win seasons any worse. Last year was a step in the right direction but because of how they mishandled the 22/23 season they had to use a pretty major asset to fix the hole they ignored.
I agree with that. My point is that their failure was at the deadline. Not necessarily the Kadri decision. They had to choose between Kadri or Manson + another player to make it fit under the cap. Whichever one they would have chosen would have created a hole needing to be fixed at the deadline. They failed to address that hole at the deadline, resulting in a lost season. They fixed it the following season, with a greater cost attached to it.

But I'm pretty sure that if they had kept Kadri at $7M, had let Manson go, had let others go for the cap (Girard? Because ERod alone wasn't going to be enough, that's a false narrative. His $2M is barely $1.2M above minimum salary when you need to cover $2.5M (over replacement cost)), there would have been similar repercussions. Meaning that it would have come down to making the right moves at the deadline to cover these different holes.

The epic failure was at the deadline, not the Kadri decision IMO.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's a creative take... I used proper terminology, you applied a wrong definition, and I'm the one twisting words... OK.

I don't have a background of twisting words. If anything, I have a background of highlighting people moving goalposts. Probably coming from the famous "window closing with Mack's contract" debate.
It never means one… unless a person is being a handful. You’re taking a number that is very low and tweaking it up. It is clearly intentional on your part here.

You do have a history of this stuff. You can’t call it moving goalposts when you deliberately misrepresent what people say.

Funny enough on that MacK contract… the Avs haven’t been close since the extension kicked in and it is a large factor why they couldn’t afford both…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad