Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Vegas won a Cup with Adin Hill. Binnington came out of nowhere. Heck, the Avs went undefeated in the playoffs with Frankie in net. Their philosophy is just find a guy that’s just good enough, and if they aren’t making any $, build a better team around them. The Askarov stuff doesn’t surprise me.
The Avs don't have the cap space nor the farm team to build a good NHL team around bad goaltending anymore. Cheap elite goaltending is about the only thing that could stretch the current window.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
...and we dont have that, too.... Allthough Georgiev was, in the end, not the "main problem" in last year´s playoffs. Just to be fair.
In the end, Frankie was all the goalie we ever needed.

Such a damn shame his health was what it was. His playoffs record puts him up there with... well, I haven't really checked but I'd like to think he must have one of the better playoff records.

We've just had shit luck since Roy. We got Steve and he was excellent but then his hips...so we got rid of him and then he got better. Just been a caustic carousel of comedy since.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
...and we dont have that, too.... Allthough Georgiev was, in the end, not the "main problem" in last year´s playoffs. Just to be fair.
Because our expectations for him are so low he's not considered a problem if he's not singlehandedly losing games on his own. Statically he was one of the worst goalie in the playoffs in terms of goals saved above expected.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With goalies, the Avs clearly took the route of paying less to have a guy that is just average (at best) to increase the quality of the team around them. It gives them a lower ceiling at the position and causes issues, but they hope that is mitigated with depth. IMO the Avs are a bit too top heavy on salary, so they can't build that depth either. The savings are just going to paying the top guys instead of depth right now (and likely into the future).

On Askarov, I get the desire for elite goaltending and he may get there. Certainly has the skill set, but has yet to have the results. Where I don't get it for the Avs is that is, at best, ~3 seasons away. Which is just far too late for this core. The Avs need elite goaltending today to overcome their lack of depth. In 3 years the window is almost certainly shut.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mike Hoffman is still UFA, it might be the end of the road for him.
But Noesen got a deal!

Hoffman stopped going/getting (some physical regression there IMO) to the dirty areas and once that happened, his goal scoring fell off a cliff. Once that happened, nobody wanted to deal with his warts anymore.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And I am not a fan of Lindell's...last time he was good IMO was 2020.
He's incredibly good defensively. One the best in the league and has one of the heaviest workloads which makes his results more impressive IMO. His offense is pretty erratic. When he doesn't make transition mistakes, he tends to be average offensively. When he makes mistakes, he's a negative offensive player. This is why he's best when paired up with guys who can handle that role... if he has to transition the puck consistently, you're playing with fire.

I'd have recommended against this deal personally, but he is quite the player if you utilize him correctly.

I don't really disagree. But NHL GMs are also dinosaurs, and Manson is a big, mean guy who hits. And he shoots right. There would be plenty of teams lining up for him.
These guys can get the contracts, not arguing that. I'm saying it is not money well spent. Teams would be better off renting the flavor of the week each year or buying 1.5 seasons instead of locking them in. Every deadline there are Tanev, Manson, and Savards available.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams were lining up for a chance to get Manson last summer until the Avs said they weren't trading him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Teams were lining up for a chance to get Manson last summer until the Avs said they weren't trading him.
And they should have traded him. A good GM should take advantage of the league's overvaluation of big defensemen with no puck skill. The Avs getting Manson as a rental was admittedly a fantastic move that helped them win the Cup, retaining him (especially at the expense of Kadri) was where they went wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad