Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yeah well, that's what the Flyers are trying to argue here. But it's a very difficult scenario overall, not just this specific case. The team obviously can't force a player to play if he feels he's injured. But to what extent does this work? Can a player just fake a phantom injury to the end of the world and sit at home collecting a pay cheque?

I guess there are some rules about second opinions and whatnot on the CBA for cases like this.
In the 70's players were scare to go play in Philadelphia because of the broad street bullies.
It was called the broad street bullies flu. I guess Johansen have another form of that flu... the 2024 version

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In the 70's players were scare to go play in Philadelphia because of the broad street bullies.
It was called the broad street bullies flu. I guess Johansen have another form of that flu... the 2024 version
I think RyJo would've been fine with playing for the Flyers. He wasn't given that option.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Then it's not an injury problem
Ehhh... Nuke played through a broken foot and Landy played on a bum knee that has kept him out since. Being able to play through that with the help of the needle doesn't mean a player doesn't have an injury. The difference here seems pretty clear via that statement. RyJo feels that he needs hip surgery to play and he's not willing to play through it via the needle and limping through to play in the AHL. Philly believes that since he could play through it, that he's not injured enough to justify the protections and is simply refusing to report. Both sides will dig in and scream loudly, but there is very little chance that Philly gets out of this without nothing. In fact, the CBA is very strongly on the side of RyJo provided the doctor signing off on the surgery side is on the second opinion list.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I guess there are some rules about second opinions and whatnot on the CBA for cases like this. The player can seek a second opinion even if club doctors see him fit for service.
Yup... there is a whole second opinion section, and if those doctors don't agree, it goes to a third opinion. There is a whole section of the CBA on fitness to play too where certain things and timing has to be met, but unless Overhardt is a complete moron... those weren't missed.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yup... there is a whole second opinion section, and if those doctors don't agree, it goes to a third opinion. There is a whole section of the CBA on fitness to play too where certain things and timing has to be met, but unless Overhardt is a complete moron... those weren't missed.
If the guy is having a significant surgery how can the Flyers go into negotiation with a straight face saying the guy didn't need it.

The only thing Ryjo did wrong was masquerade as a 2C. And it's really Cmacs fault for thinking Ryjo was a good replacement for JTC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If the guy is having a significant surgery how can the Flyers go into negotiation with a straight face saying the guy didn't need it.

The only thing Ryjo did wrong was masquerade as a 2C. And it's really Cmacs fault for thinking Ryjo was a good replacement for JTC.
They are probably saying their doctors don't think it is necessary.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This man just hates the Oilers.
And his own mom. Yikes.
an older woman says no he 's not fat and he 's stupid

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Serious question, if the Stars, Oilers, Wild or Blues offered future considerations for Nuke would you do it?
Wild or Blues? Yes. They aren't really a realistic threat. Stars or Oil, probably not. He stays clean, and they would both benefit from having him.

Only the Wild can probably take on that contract without the Avs retaining, or finding another team to help them retain.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

More like Lehighphobia.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Wild or Blues? Yes. They aren't really a realistic threat. Stars or Oil, probably not. He stays clean, and they would both benefit from having him.

Only the Wild can probably take on that contract without the Avs retaining, or finding another team to help them retain.
Yeah, but I kind see that turning him open on the league for future considerations would still be allowing that team to trade him for a handsome sum to a competitor if he proves himself clean for a year or so.

I feel like it is in our best interest to either have him make it work or fail quickly but to do so here. I wanted him bought out, and quite frankly still do, but it's not my money, so I certainly get it. Kroenke isn't known for needlessly throwing money around. However, I don't think we'd get a second line winger for him and if we aren't at least getting that, than I just as soon keep him around and hope he's either straight or that if he does fail, it's before the trade deadline.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The biggest issue with Nuke is he’s a time bomb who can tank two seasons with one test. His next suspension is a year… and while his reinstatement isn’t guaranteed… it also isn’t nonexistent. It tanks the remaining of what is left in whatever season it happens in… and the following.

Combine that with the salary and nobody wants to touch that on a team with aspirations (if he had one year left or was say a million, all contending teams would line up). Teams rebuilding or have a young core don’t want him near their core.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
Wonder if we’ll get any surprise PTO’s. Someone who can be worth one who’s surprisingly still putting up adequate metrics at an older age (also given the way he plays) is Cal Clutterbuck.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Wonder if we’ll get any surprise PTO’s. Someone who can be worth one who’s surprisingly still putting up adequate metrics at an older age (also given the way he plays) is Cal Clutterbuck.
Is he still doing well? I lost track of him after really wanting us to get him two seasons ago at the deadline when he was up for a new contract but Lou wasn't selling I don't think and re-signed him anyways.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I feel like there should be some way for Philly to call shenanigans on the "injury". We all know he was perfectly fine the whole time he was here, the only problem was that he wanted to be anywhere other than an ice hockey rink. He's checked out on the game, that's the injury. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold, but man like everyone else I'm so glad this is happening elsewhere and I hope like hell there is no way for blowback on the Avs.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We can sign Clutterbuck and sacrifice him so Nuke can reingratiate himself with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad