Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Why trade Ceci if you're not matching on Broberg? Don't get me wrong, passing on Broberg at 4.5 million was the correct choice, but the defense took a hit losing both for nothing.

Their defense is now Nurse, Ekholm, and Bouchard with a bunch of scrubs. Nurse is terrible, Ekholm 34 already, and Bouchard is as bi-polar on the ice as they come.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What the f*** is this now? Edmonton threatened to match and Blues paid extra for them not to?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oilers cleaned up in all of this IMO. Dumped Ceci for a reasonably cheap price, and made the correct decision to not give a bottom pairing Dman $4.5M or a 4th line winger $2M.

But that being said, there defense already didn't look great and now it quite frankly looks awful. Will be curious to see what else they do because as a top tier contender they can't be going into the season with that Defensive group.

Reactions: S E P H

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Oilers cleaned up in all of this IMO. Dumped Ceci for a reasonably cheap price, and made the correct decision to not give a bottom pairing Dman $4.5M or a 4th line winger $2M.

But that being said, there defense already didn't look great and now it quite frankly looks awful. Will be curious to see what else they do because as a top tier contender they can't be going into the season with that Defensive group.
Why not though? I would imagine that as shaky as that D is, they will still be comfortably in a playoff spot. They have many months to solve this issue, while accruing cap space to do it. Ideally, you solve the problem ASAP, but I think they can tread water here.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
One thing I think people very quickly overlook... Askarov was not the starting goalie in MIlwaukee for the playoffs. Dude clearly has talent, but to this point, he has not lived up to the hype that exists. Nor is he anywhere near a sure thing.
Yeah, we can call it bad management if we like but there was almost certainly a reason Nash extended Saros knowing it would be a problem for Askarov.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Why not though? I would imagine that as shaky as that D is, they will still be comfortably in a playoff spot. They have many months to solve this issue, while accruing cap space to do it. Ideally, you solve the problem ASAP, but I think they can tread water here.
I agree they can tread water. It'll have to be solved at some point, but they have some ammo now to solve it.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, we can call it bad management if we like but there was almost certainly a reason Nash extended Saros knowing it would be a problem for Askarov.
Something is most certainly off. There is very clear talent there and it has been apparent since he was 16. Not having the net for the AHL playoffs on a team trying to win the title is weird. Overall results that he's gotten on one of the most stacked teams in the league have been good, not great though. From my viewings, it seems like he's very inconsistent and needs to up his focus and fundamentals. Maybe part of it is not wanting to be in the AHL. Could be simple youth. Regardless though, it isn't like he is without redflags.

Also, I don't think he'd come that cheap on his next deal. Which is where I think all if this is coming from. He wants to be in the NHL this season so he can demand a bigger contract. I'd expect a salary demand next summer to be that in the unproven backup with starting potential sort of number. That mid 3s range. When we're talking lower end Russian salaries, the KHL can get competitive easier. A 3.5m deal after escrow and US taxes is around the 1.8-1.9 range. I could see him getting ~1.5-1.7 on a KHL deal which would be in the 1.3-1.4 range take home.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
  1. Blues want the players and are set up great to achieve that
  2. Sharks bail out the Oilers cap issue
  3. Oilers now look in a position to retain the players
  4. Blues still want the players so they toss in some longshots
Good little bit of NHL/CBA business.
Would have been a good week for CapFriendly traffic