Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Labanc is kinda/sorta like another former Shark, Jonathan Cheechoo, a guy who wasn't big and wasn't fast but somehow had a monster year and (eventually) cashed in, but was never able to live up to the big contract he signed.
The Sharks were idiots for that one. Anyone with a set of eyes knew the guy was being dragged around by Joe Thornton.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Labanc is kinda/sorta like another former Shark, Jonathan Cheechoo, a guy who wasn't big and wasn't fast but somehow had a monster year and (eventually) cashed in, but was never able to live up to the big contract he signed.
The main difference was that Cheechoo had a 56 goal season while Labanc was never good. They just thought he'd keep progressing.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I took a look at our roster, it sucks and we are over the cap if one or both of Nuke/Gabe comes back (but we need them both at 100% to not suck). Could be a long season.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I took a look at our roster, it sucks and we are over the cap if one or both of Nuke/Gabe comes back (but we need them both at 100% to not suck). Could be a long season.
Can you please explain what « sucks » means?

Is that, not a top 5?
Not a playoff team?
A lottery team?

And we are not over the cap if only 1 comes back. Definitely some maneuvering may be required if both come back. But Nuke’s reduced cap hit helps.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’d like Lorentz as well, need to shore up the depth positions, especially down the middle
I honestly don't know much about Lorentz today as a player. I guess my biggest hangup is the committment to yet another bottom sixer. I think without a doubt he could be a useful part of the mix. I'm not convinced he's actually that much better than anyone we've got though, so for me, it'd have to be a PTO or a two-way deal, but sure...why not under those circumstances?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Can you please explain what « sucks » means?

Is that, not a top 5?
Not a playoff team?
A lottery team?

And we are not over the cap if only 1 comes back. Definitely some maneuvering may be required if both come back. But Nuke’s reduced cap hit helps.
I haven't done the math on Nuke's cap hit but it's gotta be razor thin if he comes back on time. The day Landy comes back we explode the cap. Forward depth is suspect, the defense is too soft, and our goalies are bottom tier as a tandem. It's the first year in a while that I'm not excited by the upcoming season. We are a playoff team but I can't even dream of a deep run.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I haven't done the math on Nuke's cap hit but it's gotta be razor thin if he comes back on time. The day Landy comes back we explode the cap. Forward depth is suspect, the defense is too soft, and our goalies are bottom tier as a tandem. It's the first year in a while that I'm not excited by the upcoming season. We are a playoff team but I can't even dream of a deep run.
This is literally not true.

Reactions: The Moops

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Please explain. Aren't we about 5 M$ under the cap without Landy and Nuke? Maybe I'm still figuring out Puckpedia.
Puckpedia is showing everyone’s cap hit, minus Nuke. So they have a little over 3M in cap space. And nukes cap hit is about 5. So less than 2 over.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Please explain. Aren't we about 5 M$ under the cap without Landy and Nuke? Maybe I'm still figuring out Puckpedia.
Nope.

We are currently at ~$84M(Don't know the exact number off the top of my head), but that is  with Landy counting towards the cap. LTIR does not exist in the summer.

Nuke isn't counting as he's currently suspended without pay, so he's a $0 cap hit. When he returns, he'll count for slightly under $5M. Meaning the Avs would be at about $89M. But I believe by just moving one guy down to the minors it would free up the necessary space to get Nuke to fit under the cap.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yep...

For those who don't know the story:

ELC year 1: 20 pts
ELC year 2: 40 pts
ELC year 3: 56 pts

Time for a new contract but the Sharks have no cap space. They obviously want to keep their young player who keeps improving (even though advanced stats were saying it was not sustainable)...so they make a handshake deal: 20M over 5 years but for the first year, they'll sign him 1M X 1.

Problem is the first year he took a huge step back (as predicted by his advanced stats) and was no longer worth anywhere near that kind of money. Sharks honored the handshake anyway...and so for the following 4 years they got stuck with a 25-30 point winger making nearly 5M AAV.
Fascinating. What are some of the advanced stats that are solid projectors of future value and ability?

Sounds akin to the MD telling you that your genetics, history, diet and blood results can predict your likely medical demise with a high degree of accuracy.

I'm not a stats officianado so I am seriously intrigued..... at the 40,000 ft level.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Fascinating. What are some of the advanced stats that are solid projectors of future value and ability?

Sounds akin to the MD telling you that your genetics, history, diet and blood results can predict your likely medical demise with a high degree of accuracy.

I'm not a stats officianado so I am seriously intrigued..... at the 40,000 ft level.
I mean, they basically can and in certain cases (terminal illnesses) actually do exactly that when they hand a patient their diagnosis.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Nope.

We are currently at ~$84M(Don't know the exact number off the top of my head), but that is  with Landy counting towards the cap. LTIR does not exist in the summer.
It actually does, but not so many teams use it because you can be 10% over the cap during the summer anyways. LTIR works pretty much the same during the summer, you have to present proof that the player is going to miss at least 10 games and 24 days from the start of the season.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Nope.

Nuke isn't counting as he's currently suspended without pay, so he's a $0 cap hit. When he returns, he'll count for slightly under $5M. Meaning the Avs would be at about $89M. But I believe by just moving one guy down to the minors it would free up the necessary space to get Nuke to fit under the cap.

Will we not also be accruing space by being roughly $3m under the cap? So an additional 30% increase on the $3m? We might have to send one player down, but would be doing that any how with him coming back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Will we not also be accruing space by being roughly $3m under the cap? So an additional 30% increase on the $3m? We might have to send one player down, but would be doing that any how with him coming back.
Depends... basic rule of thumb, if a team can get under the cap prior to putting a player on LTIR... then they can accrue with LTIR. If a team is under regardless, they accrue. Avs have some trickiness around that if Landy isn't good to go. Odds are they will accrue some.

Problem is that will offset when Nuke comes back. Yes the Avs get a break while hes out and not counting against the cap allowing them to accrue. The day he returns, he hits back at a daily 6.125m rate. If we just do a simple 1/3 to 2/3. If the Avs save $2m while he's out, they can exceed the rest of the season by $1m daily cap it.

As the Avs stand today, they're about ~2.4m over the cap including Landy and Nuke (taking out one defensemen, Poulin and Wags). Nuke realistically will give back about $1m. How the puzzle is solved for the remaining ~1.5m is up in the air. Could be Landy on LTIR and accruing, could be Nuke out longer (or in general), could be a game played short by a player to get a free callup for a while, could be another move...

Reactions: Perratrooper

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Not sure why everyone is saying our Forward depth sucks. Once Nuke comes back, and LOC/Lehky are both 100% over their surgeries, Avs top9 will be better than last year's by mid-late November. The only change is Mitts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ryjo

Drouin - Mack - Lehky
Nuke - Mitts - Moose
Wood - Ross - LOC
Kiwi - Wagner - Kovalenko
Parker

Other than a better 4C, it's fine. Avs can get that at the TDL.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure why everyone is saying our Forward depth sucks. Once Nuke comes back, and LOC/Lehky are both 100% over their surgeries, Avs top9 will be better than last year's by mid-late November. The only change is Mitts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ryjo

Drouin - Mack - Lehky
Nuke - Mitts - Moose
Wood - Ross - LOC
Kiwi - Wagner - Kovalenko
Parker

Other than a better 4C, it's fine. Avs can get that at the TDL.

Less about a comparison to last year and more about what is needed to be a high end contending team. If the cards fall perfectly... Nuke clean, surgeries all leaving players 100%, Mitts adjusting well, Landy coming back, Colton getting a brain transplant... it could be fine or even good. With where it should be expected though, it probably isn't good enough.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7