Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Are we just wanting Askarov because of his draft prestige? Because he was barely better than Annunen in the AHL.

He’s got the draft prestige, but it’s also just getting another chance in the goalie lottery. I really think this teams fortune would improve significantly if they can find a true top tier goalie to cover up for their transition based offense

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Are we just wanting Askarov because of his draft prestige? Because he was barely better than Annunen in the AHL.
Annunen at the same age as Askarov was posting a .893 SV% in the AHL and a .864 SV% in his 2 NHL games. Askarov's skillset is translatable, but Nashville has zero reason to move him right now.

Goaltenders with more proven track records of great play have gotten less in return.

Askarov doesn't return two 1st round picks.
Nashville drafted him 11th overall and he's been on a steady upwards trajectory. Why would they trade him for anything less? They don't need to make a decision for another 3-5 years.

Reactions: Balthazar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Annunen at the same age as Askarov was posting a .893 SV% in the AHL and a .864 SV% in his 2 NHL games. Askarov's skillset is translatable, but Nashville has zero reason to move him right now.

Nashville drafted him 11th overall and he's been on a steady upwards trajectory. Why would they trade him for anything less? They don't need to make a decision for another 3-5 years.
THEY might not feel the need to make a decision for 3-5 years, but I'll bet Askarov and his agent want a decision a hell of a lot sooner.

No goalie with extremely high potential wants to back up for 3 years, let alone 5 years.

Reactions: Linds

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
THEY might not feel the need to make a decision for 3-5 years, but I'll bet Askarov and his agent want a decision a hell of a lot sooner.

No goalie with extremely high potential wants to back up for 3 years, let alone 5 years.
Askarov's expected starter timeline is around 3 years. Another year in the AHL with 5-10 call-up games. Spend another year as a NHL backup. 3rd year is when you start expecting him to take over as a starter, in which case he'll split with Saros. But most goalie development isn't linear.

If he breaks out earlier and is clearly way too good for the AHL and posts great numbers in the NHL, well every team is going to be backing up the truck for him and Nashville will have a good problem on their hands.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I would go all-in on Askarov, now obviously there is a tipping point where the price is just too much.

The goaltending situation is unacceptable. Georgiev sucked ass last season.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They do need a big boy in the top 4 though. The defense is way too small and soft without someone like Manson. Trade him and they need to get an immidiate replacement that plays a similar game.

No they don't. Florida just won with OEL/Ekblad/Montour/Forsling in its top 4. None of them are physical players, and only Ekblad has real size.

Personally I think they should trade Manson and then trade for Marino from New Jersey who may be available for cheap due to New Jersey wanting to sign Pesce. Marino would be a significant upgrade as a player.

Reactions: missionAvs

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
No they don't. Florida just won with OEL/Ekblad/Montour/Forsling in its top 4. None of them are physical players, and only Ekblad has real size.

Personally I think they should trade Manson and then trade for Marino from New Jersey who may be available for cheap due to New Jersey wanting to sign Pesce. Marino would be a significant upgrade as a player.
Mikkola averaged about 3 minutes more a night than OEL, so he’s the 4th guy.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
CMac was reportedly interested in Mikael Backlund last summer before settling on RyJo, and I wonder if that isn't an option that gets revisited if Colton gets moved.

Backlund is 35 but is still elite defensively. At $4.5m X2 you could get double retention to bring it down to $1.25m X 2 years.

Guessing it would cost something like a 1st + 3rd to Calgary, and another ~3rd round pick for a third team to retain 25%. Losing those picks would be offset by whatever picks Colton would return.

Note Backlund has a NMC so that would need to be agreed with him.

MacKinnon-Mittelstad-Backlund down the middle would be great C depth. And with Lehkonen and O'Connor on Backlund's wings you'd have a fantastic shutdown line.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Dumb. Chance to get out of the Manson contract and they say no? Idiots.
If they did, they'd be immediately looking for a player just like him. I suppose they could target that sort of player for the 3rd pairing instead of the 2nd, which could possibly help them. I think they'll want this sort of roster player on the blueline somewhere.

But honestly, I really didn't have a huge problem with Manson's play last season. There were some ups and downs for sure. But overall, I felt his play was worthy of a $4M player.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
For better or worse, Manson is this team’s Foote. He sure ain’t Foote, but old heads know what I mean. He makes way way too many costly gaffes that often lead to getting scored on but everything else he brings is important to this team. I’ve grown to really like him but I’d be fine if we could move him for something younger and cheaper and useful.

God, we have so much maneuvering to do.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Healthy Manson was pretty damn good last season, makes sense they're not eager to lose a guy like this:

1719580730232.png

And like others have said, if Manson is out the top four becomes soft as butter.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
CMac was reportedly interested in Mikael Backlund last summer before settling on RyJo, and I wonder if that isn't an option that gets revisited if Colton gets moved.

Backlund is 35 but is still elite defensively. At $4.5m X2 you could get double retention to bring it down to $1.25m X 2 years.

Guessing it would cost something like a 1st + 3rd to Calgary, and another ~3rd round pick for a third team to retain 25%. Losing those picks would be offset by whatever picks Colton would return.

Note Backlund has a NMC so that would need to be agreed with him.

MacKinnon-Mittelstad-Backlund down the middle would be great C depth. And with Lehkonen and O'Connor on Backlund's wings you'd have a fantastic shutdown line.

Why would Calgary trade their captain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad