Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's actually irrelevant how good the team is, no-one in this age of parity is expected to win a bunch of cups. The odds just aren't there even if you have the best team in the league. One cup win is a realistic expectation for a top of the league core. Some will be lucky and win more, some will be unlucky and win none. Dynasties just aren't a thing.
I’d argue it is entirely possible like the Hawks, Pens, and Kings… but you have to win one early in the core’s age. If you win when they are close to UFA it’s simply hard to maintain because contracts get in the way. If you win young, you get a chance to retouch the depth before you’re paying high portions of the cap on a few players.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Going to have to be ready to give up this 1st and one of Ritchie/Goulash for that quality and that level of retention.
I have no issues with this. Getting an asset for Colton, and moving out 2 to get an ideal 3C for the right cap is EASILY a move I can get behind.

Let’s be honest. If Bednar doesn’t trust and love the 3C, there’s no chance of getting the top 6 reduced minutes.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
No matter how you slice it, keeping a winger (Drouin) over a capable--albeit average--3C (Colton) is a mistake. Drouin can't effectively play C, so he can't slot in to that space, and now you either have to find a replacement for less than 4M (which will not net you someone who is as good as Colton was for us last year), or you just go REALLY cheap and have the on-ice results to reflect that...which will lead to the Top6, specifically the Top Line, being well overplayed by the time the playoffs come.

There's no way to slice it--unless they have a bonafide plan (which I concede they may, CMac certainly had a plan when he traded Newhook for draft picks last year and then flipped one for Colton), this is just an all-around bad idea.

Especially when you can find, and pay, for effective Top 6 wings much easier in either UFA or trade.
Would you still be saying it's a mistake to keep Drouin over Colton if they manage to swap Colton for a good 3C at a lower caphit (like Jenner, Laughton, Gourde, etc?).

I'm very dubious about giving up a 2nd rd pick to move up three spots but I do appreciate Grier making this move. We need more movement in the NHL draft, it's always so boring compared to other sports.
Grier basically moved up three spots and got Walman for free, not bad at all.

Reactions: Alienblood

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Would you still be saying it's a mistake to keep Drouin over Colton if they manage to swap Colton for a good 3C at a lower caphit (like Jenner, Laughton, Gourde, etc?).
Well Laughton is just Colton 2.0. He’d save some cap, but he’s roughly the same offensively and defensively, if not worse defensively.

Gourde would be expensive to acquire and looked rough this year.

Jenner would be a great move though.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I have no issues with this. Getting an asset for Colton, and moving out 2 to get an ideal 3C for the right cap is EASILY a move I can get behind.

Let’s be honest. If Bednar doesn’t trust and love the 3C, there’s no chance of getting the top 6 reduced minutes.

1) Colton for a 2nd

2) 1st + Ritchie/Gulyayev for 3C with retention

Which combined comes out as:

Colton
1st
Ritchie/Gulyayev

for

3C
2nd
Drouin (signed for free with the cap space you get in the trades)

So basically trading down from ~24th overall to a 2nd to go from Colton to a different 3C, and swapping Ritchie/Gulyayev for Drouin.

You then have excess value at both 2LW with Drouin (assuming he signs at a reasonably low AAV) as well as 3C.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Grier basically moved up three spots and got Walman for free, not bad at all.
They need to have a plan that ISN’T “let’s just go back to having no C depth”. Whatever that plan is, from there, depends on the caliber of the replacement.

If it’s a worse 3C, but they save anywhere from 500k-1.5M, then it’s a terrible move.

if it’s via trade, it depends on who is coming in and what the price to acquire them is.

What’s JGP been up to, if Lou is thinking of buying him out, is he still someone who works best on the 3rd line?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I would ditch Colton AND not re-sign Drouin.

Assuming you could get Skinner and Pageau.

I also was one of the few ok with bringing Nuke back too tho.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Colton would be much more tolerable as a 3C if the Avs had a goalie capable of bailing him out. But the combination of Colton continually failing to cover the point shooters and Georgiev continually getting beaten from distance, it's led to a LOT of bad goals.

I don't like the fact that the Avs swung a little too hard in the other direction (which they seem to do in cycles) and replaced a lot of their defensive forwards who couldn't score with a lot of scrappy depth forwards who can't defend. They just can't seem to find a balance.

Also, and it's likely a moot point since they don't really have the resources to address it, but goaltending that didn't give up four a night would be a huge upgrade.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's interesting that Friedman specifically mentioned Nashville as having interest in Colton... Makes me wonder if perhaps something could be done around Colton and Sissons @50% (~$1.4m X2).

Filling the 3C spot for $1.4m would conveniently leave just enough cap space to sign Drouin at $4m AAV and ice a 22 man roster, as shown in the AGM below.

Sissons doesn't have the offensive numbers Colton does, but he's better defensively, PK's, is good on draws, and is a right hand shot so overall he'd be a much better fit for what Bednar wants from his 3rd line. Lehkonen-Sissons-O'Connor would definitely be a pretty good defensive line.

Just a question of what value of picks it would take to make that worth it for both sides.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's interesting that Friedman specifically mentioned Nashville as having interest in Colton... Makes me wonder if perhaps something could be done around Colton and Sissons @50% (~$1.4m X2).

Filling the 3C spot for $1.4m would conveniently leave just enough cap space to sign Drouin at $4m AAV and ice a 22 man roster, as shown in the AGM below.

Sissons doesn't have the offensive numbers Colton does, but he's better defensively, PK's, is good on draws, and is a right hand shot so overall he'd be a much better fit for what Bednar wants from his 3rd line. Lehkonen-Sissons-O'Connor would definitely be a pretty good defensive line.

Just a question of what value of picks it would take to make that worth it for both sides.

I don't think it's impossible they move Colton, but I think they'll wait until Ritchie proves he can at least produce offensively at the same rate in a 3C role

I don't think they leave that role a question mark going into the season. Especially since we don't know if Ritchie would even make the team out of camp or after his tryout. I think adding Mitts will allow the team to be more patient with Ritchie than they would have normally.

Colton also has a full NTC next year, which I believe kicks in July 1st, then changes to a M-NTC in 25-26. My guess is he's not moved before the 2025 off season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So Vancouver just spent $6.25M for 3+ years on Joshua and Myers who easily just had the best years of their careers(And quite frankly no other year has really come close) last year?

Oooof, both of those deals have the makings of being ugly as both are two prime candidates for regression.

Reactions: davpower

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad