Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Girard Manson is a perfectly adequate second pair for under 10 millions cap.

It's really a shame EJ made so much while being at best a #4 during the contention window. Without that boat anchor of a contract I wonder what could have been.

If they can stay healthy and consistent that Colton Wood LOC line as a third line is actually ok too.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We can still improve goaltending without giving up too much assets and a lot of money.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah we do
The problem is while we all know Nuke is gone. For league purposes he can't be gone until he's out of chances. Which means they have to keep his cap hit over the summer.

Makes life trickier for Cmac. Not impossible but just another kick in the balls from Nuke as he's walking out the door.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I know it’s been said, but man Wood’s contract is gonna f***ing cost us.

Nah, 2,5M contracts don't kill a team. It's not optimal, but if it was like 750k less annually no one would have any complaints.

Nichushkin esque foolishness or giving 13M+ for Mikko are things that cost teams.

Reactions: CaleMakaw

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The problem is while we all know Nuke is gone. For league purposes he can't be gone until he's out of chances. Which means they have to keep his cap hit over the summer.

Makes life trickier for Cmac. Not impossible but just another kick in the balls from Nuke as he's walking out the door.
He does not currently count against the cap. And will not count until he's reinstated.

But, more than that, he'll be terminated or moved before he ever plays a game again.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Wishful thought for the day. November 13th, Nuke is activated and traded to Utah for Crouse. We get Nuke out of the locker-room for a reasonably priced big bodied forward. Utah gets a pretty massive upgrade at wing but takes on risk. Would Ryan Smith as a new owner have an appetite for that kind of risk in Utah even if it meant a massive upgrade in talent? They did just cut ties with Adam Ruzicka and I doubt Smith would've stood for drafting Mitch Miller, but one can still hope.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wishful thought for the day. November 13th, Nuke is activated and traded to Utah for Crouse. We get Nuke out of the locker-room for a reasonably priced big bodied forward. Utah gets a pretty massive upgrade at wing but takes on risk. Would Ryan Smith as a new owner have an appetite for that kind of risk in Utah even if it meant a massive upgrade in talent? They did just cut ties with Adam Ruzicka and I doubt Smith would've stood for drafting Mitch Miller, but one can still hope.

Ya there's no chance we get any sort of value for Nuke at this point.

Honestly I think if the Avs could us the 2024 1st to dump Nuke right now, they'd probably take that.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Oh really? How?
Get Varly. He’s actually making less than Georgiev and you don’t have to give up a lot to get him. He is 36 though. He’ll still be an upgrade over Georgiev for another year or two

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Goalie improvement makes sense, but not at the cost of losing Girard.

Once Girard was back we got better at once.

And If we had, say Annunen, Alnefelt and Larmi or Genoni chances are good we'd get good goaltending from one of them. Takes a few picks, though. But Georgiev is fine for one more season. Maybe a cheap signing after that as well, our friend George.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Get Varly. He’s actually making less than Georgiev and you don’t have to give up a lot to get him. He is 36 though. He’ll still be an upgrade over Georgiev for another year or two
You said "improve". I'm sorry, but if you want to improve the position, that means no half measures who may or may not be slightly better than Georgiev. It's Markström, Ullmark, or Saros. Otherwise you keep Georgiev.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You said "improve". I'm sorry, but if you want to improve the position, that means no half measures who may or may not be slightly better than Georgiev. It's Markström, Ullmark, or Saros. Otherwise you keep Georgiev.
We just can’t afford any of those goalies you mentioned. Avs aren’t gonna trade Mikko to make room for a goalie who they gonna pay 8 mill. Goaltending is such a weird position, paying that much money for one is a mistake

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We just can’t afford any of those goalies you mentioned. Avs aren’t gonna trade Mikko to make room for a goalie who they gonna pay 8 mill. Goaltending is such a weird position, paying that much money for one is a mistake
So you keep rolling with Georgiev. After all, he was the least of our problems vs Stars.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he's not counting against the cap until he's terminated that's a big relief.
No real relief if you don't know if he can be terminated or how much is the cap penalty for doing it. Those things don't just evaporate.

Just last year Perry had a 4M cap hit and the Hawks got a 1.99M cap penalty for terminating his contract.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If he's not counting against the cap until he's terminated that's a big relief.

Yeah. He doesn't count at all until he gets reinstated, and when he does get reinstated it's only for the prorated cap hit for the remained of the season. Assuming it's exactly 6 months after he was placed in the program, that would be November 14th which is ~30/180 days into the season or 1/6th of the way. So only 5/6ths of his contract would count for this year. Basically $5M.

So they have his entire $6.125M to work with this summer. And quite frankly we know he isn't coming back at all. Whether it's contract termination or trade or whatever direction, he's played his last game for the Avs.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
And quite frankly we know he isn't coming back at all. Whether it's contract termination or trade or whatever direction, he's played his last game for the Avs.
I have a feeling they would rather have an undermanned roster by telling him to just stay away, if they can't work out a trade or a termination immediately. But he's not coming back.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah. He doesn't count at all until he gets reinstated, and when he does get reinstated it's only for the prorated cap hit for the remained of the season. Assuming it's exactly 6 months after he was placed in the program, that would be November 14th which is ~30/180 days into the season or 1/6th of the way. So only 5/6ths of his contract would count for this year. Basically $5M.

So they have his entire $6.125M to work with this summer. And quite frankly we know he isn't coming back at all. Whether it's contract termination or trade or whatever direction, he's played his last game for the Avs.
I hope the Avs make a deal with Nuke. Stay away till the playoffs. Try to stay clean for just one run and then get "injured" at some point and then LTIRetire.

He gets his bag. One last chance to go out on a high note with the team that gave him a second chance and the guys in the locker room that believed in him.

If not and his contract gets terminated or bought out I assume he'd lose money.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad