Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It actually varies by contract
Damn it. Just when I thought I was getting a handle on things. :laugh:

Guess I'll find out if and when anything happens.

Along those lines, can someone confirm if Bruins really are having a draft party? If so, and they don't have a REALLY strong feeling they are moving up to the 1st round, then that is just beyond odd.

"Please join us at the Bruins draft party. Technically the party starts at 4PM on the 28th. But I'd not really sweat it. Saturday around Noon will do you just fine. Nothing much happening before then."

Reactions: Gordoff

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I'm here I'm worried ullmark is blocking the trades.
Even if he is there is only so many teams he can block, if the bruins feel they need the money Ullmark is taking up they will find a way to trade him. I have criticisms of this management team but they won’t waste a go at it if they feel the only thing holding them back is Ullmark’s cap space. I know it’s tough but sometimes being patient pays off.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I'm here I'm worried ullmark is blocking the trades.

Sweeney has to find a way to move Ullmark. Swayman is the now and future. We need to open up that cap space to improve our team in other areas, I thought Ullmark might be going to the Devils, disappointing that it was Calgary who moved Markstrom there.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I agree (and I'm definitely not mad a Linus if he does try to block - he negotiated that contract fair and square and that's 100% between he and his family).

I just assumed that he'd want to be somewhere where he can be the starter in the year going into UFA. Or maybe Boston will keep the tandem in place for the regular season. Or, if not, Linus thinks he can win the job from Swayman.

To the bolded -- is there a set date on that? I ask because over the next few weeks I wonder if Bruins are dealing with a "new" list or the tail end of last year's list?

So many moving parts.

This. Ullmark plays for his next contract. I am not sure that sharing the net with Swayman would set him up perfectly for his probably last big contract. At least the prices are set. Calgary got back a great return. With their young defensemen coming up New Jersey did give up something they could give up in Bahl.

Reactions: Gordoff and Number8

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I thought others were being facetious, but I get now that although Calgary might have been on his "I would prefer not" list -- he might not have actually put them on the formal list because of the presence of Markstrom. Might have assumed CAL wouldn't be interested in a goalie, so he could save that black mark for another team that might want a goalie thereby taking them out of trade with Boston.
The funny part is Calgary on July 2023 had an expensive, aging Markstrom who just finished an absolute dog shit season. Almost one year later, they're getting assets for that same player.

Best laid plans and all that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m very interested to see how this goes. At bare minimum both camps seems to be very willing to let Debrusk test the market.

I wonder how far apart they are. Is Sweeney in the mid $5mil and debrusks camp in the $6.5m range?

Hopefully he tests the market and at least let’s Boston make a counter offer
I’m with you - I’m curious two weeks from today what did we learn

His agent is from Western Canada and only other regular nhl guy he has is RNH of Edmonton

Does he steer him to one of Calgary or Edmonton

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Lol. Laine doesn’t feel like a Zito acquisition though. At least not to me. Cost would have to be cheap for me to spend assets there.

Pasta is a better defensive forward than Brady Tkachuk. Talk about a huge step down in level kf player. And Tkachuk isn’t even a center. And you’d do it all just for SNARL? Crazy.
I respect your opinion. I just don’t think people are crazy for liking Tkachuk more

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Edmonton is in the finals could potentially force a game 7 and maybe a cup win ,I seriously doubt they will be in the market for Ullmark.

They have a 25-year old goalie making 2.4 million and worst case, he got them 2 wins away from a cup. Has now won 4 playoff series in 2 seasons. With two massive extensions needing to get done in Draisaitl and Bouchard. Not to mention still paying Jack Campbell 5 million for 3 more years.

That doesn't strike me as a team about to chase a 30-year old Ullmark who will need a new contract and has never won a playoff series.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I respect your opinion. I just don’t think people are crazy for liking Tkachuk more
I don't either, but Pastrnak is an offensive animal. I'd love to see Brady here but not at the expense of Pastrnak.

That said Brady is an animal and a legitimate fist line winger that does it all, especially from a physical stand point. I feel he will be an absolute psycho in the playoffs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This. Ullmark plays for his next contract. I am not sure that sharing the net with Swayman would set him up perfectly for his probably last big contract. At least the prices are set. Calgary got back a great return. With their young defensemen coming up New Jersey did give up something they could give up in Bahl.
Except if a team is trading a 1st rd pick + for him, they are doing so with an agreement to an extension in place or at least the framework of one. So he wouldn't be playing for his contract then.

We've seen 1Bs with far worse numbers than Ullmark get paid in UFA.

Husso went from 875k to 4.75m based on 1 40 game season.
Scott Darling went from 587k to 4.15m based on a season of playing 29 games and 1 season of 32.

Teams historically will give a high UFA contract to goalies they THINK can be starters. People know Ullmark can. If he plays 35 games here and does what he did this year he'll still get 6+M next year.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Unfortunate.

Ottawa and Edmonton the remaining contenders for Ulmark?
I'm not sure. Skinner may just be playing himself into "I'm the man" role in EDM. Bobrovsky has showed these playoffs that it's often "when" you make the save that matters most. And Skinner has been following that.

If it were me, I'd think Colorado is the place to be. Yeah, maybe not East Coast, but great team and Denver is a fairly decent place to be. Particularly if you can win a Cup. If I were Linus, I'd give that a long, hard look even if it was just for a year.

I get it about kids, I really do. We once relocated our family when my daughter was 2 and my wife was 8 months pregnant. We did it again when my kids were 6 and 8. Hard but life changing moves that set my family up well -- although sadly not $5M+ per year well.:laugh:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If Ullmarks agent has truly figured out a block if Im him I tell DS……but……get us a list willing to do a 3 or 4 year extension. Then things may change.
Wally that's why you get paid the big bucks. That's definitely a wise approach.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
If Ullmarks agent has truly figured out a block if Im him I tell DS……but……get us a list willing to do a 3 or 4 year extension. Then things may change.
If I'm Sweeney I remind him he only has a NTC and riding the bus in Providence would suck.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
If the Bruins could roll out this bottom 6

Frederic- Coyle - Geekie
Beecher - Boqvist- Duhaime
Braz

That’s gotta be up there, no?

we all love Brady Tkachuk

I would rather have both he and 88

Btw- Montreal so f’n dumb passing on him
That is my dream bottom 6. They were talking on a hockey show yesterday about how important it is to have a Selke winner on your team if you want a cup. They listed the names. I have to agree.

Reactions: Bodit9

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Team I wonder about is Colorado. Not sure if they check all of Ullmark's boxes, but they have a good team and are contenders. They have some work to do as they have $16 million in space with only 12 guys signed. If they could get Ullmark signed to an team friendly extension I'm curious if there could be something around Ullmark to Colorado for Mittelstadt (other pieces would need to likely be involved from both sides)

Utah is another one seeing as they have a boat load of cap space, a deep prospect pool and young talent. If their ownership is looking to make a strong push out of the gate, would Ullmark be interested in being a piece of their puzzle?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If I'm Sweeney I remind him he only has a NTC and riding the bus in Providence would suck.
If I'm Ullmark's agent I call that bluff and say go ahead and waive me, lose me for nothing and piss of the other players on the team, to whom I'm a brother and who they care more about than some draft pick 2 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad