Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But he can only block his way to 16 (soon 15) teams. Maybe he was super strategic, and set his list to the teams that hag unsettled goalie situations as of last year

He and his agent likely have a list that makes it almost like a full NTC. As of today only PHI & VGK don't have the cap space for Ullmark. Of the teams remaining....

TBL, NYR, NYI, WPG, NJD, DAL, VAN, FLA, WSH & NSH are all likely good with goaltending. That alone bring the number of teams down to 19 teams. With a 15 team NTC, he can block roughly 80% of the remaining teams.

SJS, CHI, ANH, CBJ, STL, MTL are all teams that are in some form of rebuilding and likely wouldn't be calling about Ullmark. Combined that with the list above and we're at 16 teams that likely aren't looking to acquire Ullmark. That means Ullmark's NTC can cover the remaining teams and he essentially has a full NTC.

This is all speculation on my part and I may have missed some team, but that's how easy it would be to give Ullmark control of his next destination.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ullmark could easily add all teams that already have a goalie to his acceptable trade list. Still a good chance that they won't be able to move him at all
I might be mistaken but I thought the list was created some time ago and the only thing that can change it now is that one team must be taken off the list at the start of the last year of his contract.

Someone in the know please..... do I have that right?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
He and his agent likely have a list that makes it almost like a full NTC. As of today only PHI & VGK don't have the cap space for Ullmark. Of the teams remaining....

TBL, NYR, NYI, WPG, NJD, DAL, VAN, FLA, WSH & NSH are all likely good with goaltending. That alone bring the number of teams down to 19 teams. With a 15 team NTC, he can block roughly 80% of the remaining teams.

SJS, CHI, ANH, CBJ, STL, MTL
are all teams that are in some form of rebuilding and likely wouldn't be calling about Ullmark. Combined that with the list above and we're at 16 teams that likely aren't looking to acquire Ullmark. That means Ullmark's NTC can cover the remaining teams and he essentially has a full NTC.

This is all speculation on my part and I may have missed some team, but that's how easy it would be to give Ullmark control of his next destination.

Dom did give a way around the bolded though

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I just don't want $13M wrapped up in two goalies. I'm a simple man.

Swayman passed the test with flying carpets in the post season.

1718815795347.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I might be mistaken but I thought the list was created some time ago and the only thing that can change it now is that one team must be taken off the list at the start of the last year of his contract.

I think a new list has to be submitted annually when requested. Not positive but I think so.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

SJS, CHI, ANH, CBJ, STL, MTL are all teams that are in some form of rebuilding and likely wouldn't be calling about Ullmark. Combined that with the list above and we're at 16 teams that likely aren't looking to acquire Ullmark. That means Ullmark's NTC can cover the remaining teams and he essentially has a full NTC.

Of course he made this list offseason. So some things may have change. A team like Carolina may have seemed like a team that would not be interested in a goalie last offseason, but might be interested now.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ullmark could easily add all teams that already have a goalie to his acceptable trade list. Still a good chance that they won't be able to move him at all

This is true and hopefully not the case. Our cap situation looks much more bleak if we have to pay swayman and keep Ullmark on the roster.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That could easily be the case, but it would also be quite odd.

If Linus blocks their viable options this season, not a chance that Boston re-signs him at the end of next year. Or certainly not for starter money - which he's now getting.

Given he's going into a contract year, you'd think he'd want to bet on himself and go to a team where he can be the starter.

If he effectively blocks a trade he's only going to "stay a Bruin" for a year at best.
One more year of his kids being in the same schools, the wife close to the same friends, and a chance to pick his destination, with a full year to look into possible locations.

I do find it funny when fans (not saying you) get mad for players for not showing loyalty and leaving a team... until the player wants to stay and the fans would rather have a draft pick, then all of a sudden the loyalty line disappears.

Of course he made this list offseason. So some things may have change. A team like Carolina may have seemed like a team that would not be interested in a goalie last offseason, but might be interested now.
Players update the list every year.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Smart deal by the Flames, they get a young dee making around a million bucks a year and a first rounder and save on the cap.
The bar has been set, DS, go make a good deal happen for us now.

Reactions: goldenblack

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

It was submitted last summer.

His list for 2025 will be submitted in a couple weeks. He can keep the teams for last season's list or change every one of them if he chooses.

People convinced he and his agent nailed every team that needs a goalie for the 2025 season back in July 2023 are probably wrong, though who knows?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
One more year of his kids being in the same schools, the wife close to the same friends, and a chance to pick his destination, with a full year to look into possible locations.

I do find it funny when fans (not saying you) get mad for players for not showing loyalty and leaving a team... until the player wants to stay and the fans would rather have a draft pick, then all of a sudden the loyalty line disappears.

Players update the list every year.
I agree (and I'm definitely not mad a Linus if he does try to block - he negotiated that contract fair and square and that's 100% between he and his family).

I just assumed that he'd want to be somewhere where he can be the starter in the year going into UFA. Or maybe Boston will keep the tandem in place for the regular season. Or, if not, Linus thinks he can win the job from Swayman.

To the bolded -- is there a set date on that? I ask because over the next few weeks I wonder if Bruins are dealing with a "new" list or the tail end of last year's list?

So many moving parts.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree (and I'm definitely not mad a Linus if he does try to block - he negotiated that contract fair and square and that's 100% between he and his family).

I just assumed that he'd want to be somewhere where he can be the starter in the year going into UFA. Or maybe Boston will keep the tandem in place for the regular season. Or, if not, Linus thinks he can win the job from Swayman.

To the bolded -- is there a set date on that? I ask because over the next few weeks I wonder if Bruins are dealing with a "new" list or the tail end of last year's list?

So many moving parts.
I've always assumed that it's on 7/1 when the league calendar year starts but I don't know if I've ever seen anything official that confirms that.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It was submitted last summer.

His list for 2025 will be submitted in a couple weeks. He can keep the teams for last season's list or change every one of them if he chooses.

People convinced he and his agent nailed every team that needs a goalie for the 2025 season back in July 2023 are probably wrong, though who knows?
Thank you. That's pretty interesting.

If Linus really does want to manage things so he stays in Boston this year, that timing nuance could play a huge role.

I thought others were being facetious, but I get now that although Calgary might have been on his "I would prefer not" list -- he might not have actually put them on the formal list because of the presence of Markstrom. Might have assumed CAL wouldn't be interested in a goalie, so he could save that black mark for another team that might want a goalie thereby taking them out of trade with Boston.

I've always assumed that it's on 7/1 when the league calendar year starts but I don't know if I've ever seen anything official that confirms that.
Thanks. That gibes with what @BlackFrancis just said.

Reactions: Gordoff

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
That's fine.

You cannot rely on one guy on the fourth line, whoever it is, to provide your entire team with intimidation, retaliation, toughness.

Look at Peter Chiarell's rosters.

Within perhaps 3 years half of that lineup was ready, willing and able to stand up for one another.

Were they all bruisers? Was Andrew Ference a bruiser? Marc Savard? Gregory Campbell?

Nine years later, this Chromag sees meh mediocrity as far as the I can see.

Team toughness is not just a stupid phrase. As corny as it sounds, it means being there for the guy next to you. It means playing for one another. It means, cliche, everyone pulling on the same rope.

Bruins DNA dictates that kind of play. And to me, that means getting your nose dirty, hard work, and physical intimidation.

Counter with Nifty, David,

Sweeney has never embraced that. Of late, only of late, he realizes he needs a policeman. One guy. Pat Maroon, 35, coming off back surgery and very much at the end of his career. Prior to that, it was Milan.

One guy. It's such a joke it makes me cry.

I believe I mentioned this, but when watching the Ranger- Florida series, it was abundantly clear that the Boston Bruins under done Sweeney are so far away from that level of competition it isn't true. It makes me f*cking sick.

He's learned, he's grown, and he's a very, very good general manager. But he still doesn't seem to get it.

Please don't squeeze the Charmin doesn't get it in the playoffs.

Say it with me: speed, skill, *and* physicality.

It's not rocket science.

You're probably right.

Even so, I respectfully disagree, to an extent.

David is occasionally physical. He absolutely can do it at this point, and I would love to see more.

He's also better defensively these days.

In addition, #88 took major strides this past season in becoming a premier playmaker. It was fun to watch.

So, David has grown, and is now, justifiably, considered a leader. Notice that he talks to the media more, and speaks like a leader.

All of that said, his defensive game is far from complete, or even adequate. Too often, he is cavalier and sloppy clearing the defensive zone.

Now, there are perhaps two ways to look at this.

One is that you have a marvelously creative talent who is your top scoring threat. Hence, defensive shortcomings can be forgiven and accepted as part of the package.

The other, harsher evaluation is that if David did not learn to develop an all around two way game playing beside Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand for years, he never will.

So, I don't know. I'm willing to take the warts because he's a great offensive player and by all counts a good guy and teammate.

But I wish he were a more complete player.

My final question is whether David is incapable of this, or simply disinterested in doing so.

I think it's a fair question.

I don't know the answer.
I'll never forget the time when Marc Savard, with no regard for his own safety, jumped into that melee along the boards against Dallas, I think it was, to come to the aid of a teammate.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
One thing I can't see is the Bruins retaining on Ullmark. That potentially makes things a tad more difficult.
Agreed. A big part of the value for Markstrom is having a legit #1 goaltender at $4.2M for the next two years.

Part of the value for Ullmark (I assumed) would have been that he could negotiate an extension right away. But we are looking at a big salary difference between the two if that gets done.

It’s interesting

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Thank you. That's pretty interesting.

If Linus really does want to manage things so he stays in Boston this year, that timing nuance could play a huge role.

I thought others were being facetious, but I get now that although Calgary might have been on his "I would prefer not" list -- he might not have actually put them on the formal list because of the presence of Markstrom. Might have assumed CAL wouldn't be interested in a goalie, so he could save that black mark for another team that might want a goalie thereby taking them out of trade with Boston.

Thanks. That gibes with what @BlackFrancis just said.
But they can trade him before July 1, using the current no-trade list of 16 teams, or they can wait for July 1, after he submits the new 15 team no-trade list. And yes, he could cherry pick the new teams to be the ones he suspects wants a goalie.

Reactions: Number8

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'll never forget the time when Marc Savard, with no regard for his own safety, jumped into that melee along the boards against Dallas, I think it was, to come to the aid of a teammate.
He came to the aid of the toughest guy on the ice, which was Lucic.

This is why I like Olivier from Columbus. Guy doesn't hurt you on the ice and will keep guys in check.

The Bruins haven't done shit since they adopted this new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad