Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I got to watch Goodrow the few games he played in Worcester his first season, really liked him and have liked him since. Once again someone who bring leadership, playoff success and grit. You get him after the buyout for two years at 1.56 it's a great deal. His faceoff percentage last year during the regular season was 54%. Want a fast aggressive fourth line that should be defensively responsible Beecher-Goodrow-Duhaime. Tons of speed on the wings, all are pretty big and Goodrow is good defensively
That’s a great 4th line 🤤

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
Just based on past I'd expect the Bruins to check in on Goodrow if he's bought out. Didn't they want to get him or Coleman when they were going to be free agents? Goodrow got traded and signed so they were closer with Coleman until he chose Calgary.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Not really. He really wasn't good at all last year. Rangers fans are all set with him - this isn't a guy coming from some cruddy team and you're hoping for a lift. Adding him to the fourth line for $1M? I guess, but I'd rather use those minutes for Beecher/Kuntar etc. Can always get a Goodrow type at the deadline.
This team has a ton of 3-4th line forwards that contribute 10-20 goals each year. It's a waste of cap space, even the million. I'm with you on this.

Save the money for top six. It was clear as day this Bruins team was one of the worst in the playoffs at producing offence.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This team has a ton of 3-4th line forwards that contribute 10-20 goals each year. It's a waste of cap space, even the million. I'm with you on this.

Save the money for top six. It was clear as day this Bruins team was one of the worst in the playoffs at producing offence.
Who? The Bruins 4th line last year contributed a total of 15 goals in 159 games (Boqvist, Beecher and Lauko)

Pasta: 47
Marchand: 29
Zacha: 21
Coyle: 25

Those are players in your top 6 right there. Geekie and Frederic had 17 and 18, that will make up part of your 3rd line.

DeBrusk had 19 and won't be back, JVR had 11 and won't be back.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Reminds me of when certain posters here were fawning over Josh Anderson after he scored an OT goal against TB in the finals.

"Thats the kind of player we were missing"

"We have nobody that would drive the net like that and score big goals"

"Players like Anderson are worth their weight in gold come playoff time"

Meanwhile he had 3 pts in like the previous 20 playoff games.

But, different place, different line mates, different opponents, different role, you never know how he would have done here.

Nobody is a guarantee but sometimes where you play and who you play with matters more than who you are.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Who? The Bruins 4th line last year contributed a total of 15 goals in 159 games (Boqvist, Beecher and Lauko)
I expect the bottom six to be a battle for spots between:

Frederic
Geekie
Beecher
Brown
Poitras
Brazeau
Lauko

Maroon

Bolded are signed in Boston for next year. Why spend any money down there when they were defensively sound and the problem in Boston the last two playoffs was lack of scoring in the top six? Sounds like Heinen could be added to that signed 7 as well. That's a lot of bottom six talent with no help in the top six so far.

Frederic - Geekie - Poitras
Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau
Brown / Maroon

Good enough for me with the third line there having real potential to score as they develop as a line.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Reminds me of when certain posters here were fawning over Josh Anderson after he scored an OT goal against TB in the finals.

"Thats the kind of player we were missing"

"We have nobody that would drive the net like that and score big goals"

"Players like Anderson are worth their weight in gold come playoff time"

Meanwhile he had 3 pts in like the previous 20 playoff games.
Wonder how much Montreal would eat on his contract and if they would deal him here? Only a year removed from a 20 goal season and just turned 30.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I expect the bottom six to be a battle for spots between:

Frederic
Geekie
Beecher
Brown
Poitras
Brazeau
Lauko

Maroon

Bolded are signed in Boston for next year. Why spend any money down there when they were defensively sound and the problem in Boston the last two playoffs was lack of scoring in the top six?
Oh, there are far bigger issues than depth guys, I absolutely agree with you on that.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Oh, there are far bigger issues than depth guys, I absolutely agree with you on that.

Plus the depth guys are often August signings after they've figured out the two big holes in the top six.

XXX - XXX - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - XXX (Zacha)

PLug in Zacha as the 2nd line RW and you've gotta spend on those top two on the 1st line. Good news is that they have the money to do so.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Reactions: Gordoff

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
If someone told you you could add Lindholm, Kane and Laine to the Bruins roster at the cost of $15,000,000 in cap space and Ullmark, would you do it? You'd also still have 6-7 million in cap space after signing Swayman to add to the D.
Seems like a long shot to get Lindholm and Kane so cheap, and Laine retained to an amount that totals to 15mil, but heck yea I would that firepower would be great.

Curious on who would trade Ullmark to though, and what the return is that we immediately flip to the jets is (unless a three way trade).

Laine - Zacha - Pasta
Marchand - Lindholm - Kane
Frederic - Coyle - Geekie

Would have teams shitting themselves on a nightly basis.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I love Ehlers. Who would have thought back in 2018 that it would be harder to acquire him than Laine in a trade.

I'm still more on the Laine train considering the cost of Ehlers.

Reactions: ylekot

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
If someone told you you could add Lindholm, Kane and Laine to the Bruins roster at the cost of $15,000,000 in cap space and Ullmark, would you do it? You'd also still have 6-7 million in cap space after signing Swayman to add to the D.
Yup but some of that 6-7 million needs to go to Brendan Dillon, Pat Maroon and probably another depth/veteran F/D with leadership to deal with the spoiled brats that are Kane and Laine. Are they both still good hockey players? Kane looks like it, Laine I am not sure but both bring a lot of baggage, I would prefer to add just one of them and a Perron or Toffoli.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston

They really missed Nosek last year, if they can get Goodrow for under Geekie money just for faceoffs and the PK I would be more than OK with it. Beecher is a little too mistake prone and a little too inconsistent to hold down that spot, they can't go through that mess again where Beecher can't be the center but takes all the draws for another center who is hopeless at faceoffs.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Ehlers is a talented player, but not exactly the goal scoring machine when it comes to postseason play.

Would it be different here? Maybe, likely a big price to play for a guy who constantly shrinks in the big moments.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Seems like a long shot to get Lindholm and Kane so cheap, and Laine retained to an amount that totals to 15mil, but heck yea I would that firepower would be great.

Curious on who would trade Ullmark to though, and what the return is that we immediately flip to the jets is (unless a three way trade)

Laine retained (3.7) at $5,000,000.
Lindholm $7,000,000.
Kane $3,000,000.

Use what you got from Ullmark trade to send to Columbus for retention. Still have a lot of cap space to add yet another player if needed to the top six or 2nd pairing D (although I am liking the D and bottom 6 and goal.

Laine - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Kane
Frederic - Geekie - Zacha

Sweeney would have to trade Ullmark, then trade those assets for a retained Laine, then sign Kane and Lindholm. That's not unrealistic at all. Very defensively sound C with firepower on the wings of all three lines.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Quebec is in Europe? Does Paul St-Pierre Plamondon know?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
So do they sign 2 of Lindholm, Monahan, or Stephenson?
I think they sign Lindholm, a 4th liner (like Duhaime) and a defenseman (like Dillon or Zadorov). I think they give the kids a chance as well.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Coyle - Lysell
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Duhaime - Beecher - Brazeau
X: Heinen as insurance for Lysell/Poitras

Zadorov/Dillon - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke
X: Wotherspoon

Swayman and Bussi
X: Veteran goalie at the league minimum as insurance for Bussi

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I think they sign Lindholm, a 4th liner (like Duhaime) and a defenseman (like Dillon or Zadorov). I think they give the kids a chance as well.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta

Zadorov/Dillon - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke

Swayman and Bussi
Like everything but Lysell on the second line, never mind on the team.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta

Zadorov/Dillon - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Peeke

Swayman and Bussi
They do not need another fourth liner, in my opinion. They have more than enough bottom six players.

What they need, and what they can acquire given a less than stellar market, is a decent two-way center, sandpaper and responsibility on the back end (Brenden Dillon), and badly needed *primary* scoring.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Yup but some of that 6-7 million needs to go to Brendan Dillon, Pat Maroon and probably another depth/veteran F/D with leadership to deal with the spoiled brats that are Kane and Laine. Are they both still good hockey players? Kane looks like it, Laine I am not sure but both bring a lot of baggage, I would prefer to add just one of them and a Perron or Toffoli.

2021-22Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue JacketsNHL56263056-724|
2022-23Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsColumbus Blue JacketsNHL55223052-1216|

Before the total breakdown last year and having to go into player assistance program we are talking about a PPG player.

Now, let's assume the thing(s) that were breaking him down inside and physically were what he was recovering from all last year. He is now clear of that and is 26.

Look at the numbers he is putting up while dealing with those demons and physical ailments. Let's remove those from the player and put them into the Boston Culture (see Ullmark and his story while in Buffalo before coming to Boston).

A 56 in 56 and 52 in 55 on a BAD Columbus team.

Now he has asked to change his scenery and Columbus have agreed. We are seeing a 26 year old PPG player wanting to prove to everyone he can and will be elite.

You give him DeBrusk's money and say 'we are putting you with Lindholm and Pastrnak, you are learning from this culture what it means to be part of a team, you have an amazing D core behind you and one of the best goalies in the world in net. The time to buy-in is now.'

If he fails, you have him gone next season and the cap hit was only $5,000,000 the last year. If he fails, it's because of body or substance (taking in history) and he is LTIR or off the cap anyways.

If he succeeds, you just added a 40 goal scorer to the LW with Pastrnak. And you signed a defensively-minded C in Lindholm to work with those two like how he did with Gaudreau and Tkachuk in Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad