Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Impossible to answer without knowing who the player is.

If he's only played 50% of possible games over the last three years, he may be eligible to sign a contract with performance bonuses. (depends on when he missed those games).

And I would absolutely take a flier on a player in that situation. But, Need. More. Info.

I was talking about Laine. He's not a FA, available via trade. I really wanted to try and see what a fair cap hit would be to see what the possible retention would have to be.

I wanted to leave the name out to start because there would be folks who would just say he's overpaid and a bad contract.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
From what I've read, part of the reason for why he wanted out of WPG was because of how he was treated by the leaders of the room, specifically Wheeler and Scheifele.

Not surprising about Wheeler. The more you hear about him, the more he sounds like a locker room bully and hard on some teammates. Being hard on teammates is OK in some situations, but if you can't communicate well, it can quickly lead to poor relationships within the room.

You have to wonder what the culture is like over their in Columbus. This is a franchise that pursued Mike Babcock.

I'd take a flyer on Laine. Get him in the right environment and the upside is massive IMO.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

An area the Senators need to improve is in the net. Postmedia has reported that Staios has been “aggressive” in his pursuit of Calgary netminder Jacob Markstrom, but has also pushed hard on Boston’s Linus Ullmark and has kicked the tires on Nashville’s Juuse Saros.

“I’m excited about the next couple of weeks,” Andlauer said. “They’re working furiously. I got a call at 11 p.m. (Thursday) night I got a phone call and at 6 a.m. when we’re flying (to Ottawa) today, Steve had a whole bunch of text messages from other GM’s saying, ‘Please give me a call.’

“This is an important time leading into the draft. There’s a lot of kicking tires and the team is working really hard. That’s all I can tell you.”

The NHL calendar is entering a pivotal stretch with qualifying offers for restricted free agents due on June 30 and unrestricted free agency set to open on Canada Day at noon.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not surprising about Wheeler. The more you hear about him, the more he sounds like a locker room bully and hard on some teammates. Being hard on teammates is OK in some situations, but if you can't communicate well, it can quickly lead to poor relationships within the room.

You have to wonder what the culture is like over their in Columbus. This is a franchise that pursued Mike Babcock.

I'd take a flyer on Laine. Get him in the right environment and the upside is massive IMO.

If they could get him for the right deal and then add a guy like Lindholm:

Zacha - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Laine

That's a pretty solid top 6.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Do we know who ?

Laine ?

If Sweeney loses JDB & Lindholm I’m all in on Laine at reduced price

I’m still in the

Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - DeBrusk
Heinen - Freddie- Geekie
Beecher - Bo- Braz
Lauko
Merkuloav
Poitras
Lysell

Yeh I’m in on a game 5 in Florida

No matter the fan base it’s great for the winning team to do it at home

I celebrated 2011 by taking my dog for a walk
I am planting flowers

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If they could get him for the right deal and then add a guy like Lindholm:

Zacha - Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - Laine

That's a pretty solid top 6.

I've poo-poo'd a Lindholm signing many times here but if they could get and revive Laine, now he's that new play-driver (he can carry the puck and make plays, create space, he's not just a shooter) that they really need, and now a Lindholm signing makes a ton more sense as the secondary move.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

An area the Senators need to improve is in the net. Postmedia has reported that Staios has been “aggressive” in his pursuit of Calgary netminder Jacob Markstrom, but has also pushed hard on Boston’s Linus Ullmark and has kicked the tires on Nashville’s Juuse Saros.

“I’m excited about the next couple of weeks,” Andlauer said. “They’re working furiously. I got a call at 11 p.m. (Thursday) night I got a phone call and at 6 a.m. when we’re flying (to Ottawa) today, Steve had a whole bunch of text messages from other GM’s saying, ‘Please give me a call.’

“This is an important time leading into the draft. There’s a lot of kicking tires and the team is working really hard. That’s all I can tell you.”

The NHL calendar is entering a pivotal stretch with qualifying offers for restricted free agents due on June 30 and unrestricted free agency set to open on Canada Day at noon.

In the spirit of Cherry Hill Park, all of this Ullmark and Ottawa trade talk will lead to nothing more than being "Down In The Boondocks".

Reactions: DKH

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm pretty sure we can all agree the Bruins core is Swayman (25), McAvoy (26), Pastrnak (28)

I would lean towards moving Ullmark for immediate help but if they can get a top 10 pick for him this year, I think it's worth considering

Pastrnak was drafted in 2014 when Marchand was 26 and Bergeron was 29

I think if they really have their eyes on someone who could join this core, then go for it. Cayden Lindstrom is interesting but also Tij Iginla

If we can somehow get that 7th overall from Ottawa and one of those guys are available you could be getting that next number 1 center or the next modern day power forward

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'll agree that they've had more than their share of assistance from the NHL, to an embarrassing level actually. The Panthers are the best team , so I can't agree with that but it makes you wonder. Most of the time I'm left wondering if I'm not watching the NHE. It's been several years now I can't help but feel the fix is in. The BS championship teams seem to get away is ridiculous in my eyes. It looks like the NHE is tilting the ice and rules in favor of non-traditional markets. And everyone is on board because it means $$$$ in pockets and that's all owners are interested in. They don't give a flying f*** about fans, It's $$$$ that matter. That's how cities like Utah end up with a team.

For what?

You'd be a fool to think it was ever different.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I don’t see Lysell sniffing a spot on this roster, if they are serious about improving enough to contend.
I am all for giving Lysell a look in training camp but this shit that he is competing to be a second line winger next year is just not rational, just like Merkolov, Poitras, any of the Bruin's prospects, I am a show me type guy, none of them should be counted on, they should be looked at given a chance and hope they are pleasant surprises. Do not build this roster around them.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I am all for giving Lysell a look in training camp but this shit that he is competing to be a second line winger next year is just not rational, just like Merkolov, Poitras, any of the Bruin's prospects, I am a show me type guy, none of them should be counted on, they should be looked at given a chance and hope they are pleasant surprises. Do not build this roster around them.
Poitras will be on the roster, his passing skills and IQ are off the charts. Bruins do not have a center on the NHL roster that can do the things he can.

Regardless of who we pick up in the offseason. Let's see if I'm right.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I'm pretty sure we can all agree the Bruins core is Swayman (25), McAvoy (26), Pastrnak (28)

I would lean towards moving Ullmark for immediate help but if they can get a top 10 pick for him this year, I think it's worth considering

Pastrnak was drafted in 2014 when Marchand was 26 and Bergeron was 29

I think if they really have their eyes on someone who could join this core, then go for it. Cayden Lindstrom is interesting but also Tij Iginla

If we can somehow get that 7th overall from Ottawa and one of those guys are available you could be getting that next number 1 center or the next modern day power forward
I think a top 10 pick for Ullmark is a pipe dream, but yes if you can get it (even with a slight add) you do it and you make the pick. The Bruins need more high end prospects.

Have to tip my cap to Sweeney he’s managed to remain competitive after an all-in Cup run failure. But he doesn’t have the roster to go all in next year, so a top pick would be outstanding.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If the Bruins don't feel like Lysell is a guy that has a future with the team let's package him for Laine.

To Boston
Laine w/ $3.7 million retained

To Columbus
Lysell
2025 3rd
2026 2nd

This would make Laine a $5 million hit for the final 2yrs of his contract. Does he play a full 200ft game? No, but he would bring offensive firepower that this team is lacking. He's looking for a fresh start and spent the end of the season in the PA program due to mental health reasons. The Bruins locker room could be a good place for him.
In part I, agree with your post. I need to respectfully phrase this, I was not sure why he was in the PA program, and now that I realize it was not drugs, maybe he is worth taking a chance on with the right players around him in the right atmosphere, he might be worth a shot. Maybe this is where a Maroon influence comes into play, this from someone who hated Maroon, but after listening to him these last few months seems like a pretty good guy, and why he is respected. I also and believe, I am not a cap guy, but for only two years would it be better to not give up a lot of assets for him and take on most of if not all of the contract. You are not stuck with 7-8 years at 8 mil with a signing and if can return to form at only 26 what pressure he would take and help Pasta........

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Poitras will be on the roster, his passing skills and IQ are off the charts. Bruins do not have a center on the NHL roster that can do the things he can.

Regardless of who we pick up in the offseason. Let's see if I'm right.
He skills are there I will give you that , but the question is will he hold up over a full NHL season, I have might doubts, and let me read into what you are saying a little bit I am assuming you think he is your 1C and that is not realistic at all.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston

I just don’t understand why we won’t even consider Lysell a viable option, he has a top six skill set

The kid has an elite skill set, lit it up last year in the AHL and specifically out scored most of his age peers.

Like we talk on this board about developing the youth but we want to give this kid who has all the talent to become a real top six winger and we want to all bury him for some reason. It makes zero sense to me. (After rereading your post you aren’t saying this, but other posters are so i won’t delete lol)

If he shows he can adapt and continue to be coachable then he deserves a shot

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

ETC.​

Nothing doing on DeBrusk, Swayman​

There are no plans for Bruins GM Don Sweeney to speak to the media until June 27 in Las Vegas, the day prior to Round 1 of the draft. Ergo, nothing from the corner office about an effort, if any, to keep Jake DeBrusk from becoming an unrestricted free agent, or where things stand with franchise goalie Jeremy Swayman on a contract extension.

Swayman’s agent, Lewis Gross, did not respond to an email from the Globe late in the week, seeking comment on Swayman’s contract status.

DeBrusk’s agent, Rick Valette, of High River, Alberta, likewise did not respond to a text seeking comment about his client’s next contract. For those planning a trip out there, High River is west of WHL Swift Current, where DeBrusk starred as a junior. Pro tip: Bring bear spray if you’re in the Greater Banff neck of the woods.

Swayman was awarded $3.475 million for 2023-24 via salary arbitration and could end up in that greenbacks taffy pull again this summer, if Sweeney and Gross again fail to negotiate a landing spot on a new deal. The Bruins are in the window that allows them to elect arbitration. Swayman can trigger it as of July 5.

A one- or two-year award could see Swayman, 25, double his pay of last season. As noted in this space recently, a long-term pact (maximum eight years, per CBA guidelines), could boost him to the $9.5 million-a-year echelon, if the deal were measured against the eight-year extension that Tuukka Rask signed in Boston at age 26 in 2013 (fresh off a run to the Cup Final).

Rask’s average annual value was $7 million. Adjusted for a cap boosted to $88 million next season, that would be $9.5 million. Currently, Sweeney has that cash on hand and potentially $10 million-$15 million more for UFA shopping.

DeBrusk, the club’s leading playoff scorer (13 games, 5-6–11) this spring, earned $4 million each of the last two seasons. When he packed up in Brighton on the traditional lockers-and-lamentations day, he said he never imagined the prospect that he could be leaving the training facility for one last time.

With July 1 a mere two weeks in the offing, the former first-round pick looks like he’ll hit the open market. He has been a streaky, sometimes slumping, regular-season scorer in his time on Causeway Street, but those playoff numbers this spring are guaranteed to catch eyeballs.

As Game 4 of the Cup Final approached on Saturday, DeBrusk’s 11 points ranked among the league’s 28 most productive forwards this postseason. Reasonable to think he’ll see offers of, say, five years/$30 million from clubs such as Chicago, Detroit, Anaheim, and San Jose.

The Flames, less than 200 miles south of DeBrusk’s hometown of Edmonton, have slightly more than $20 million in shopping dough to shore up a roster that has not made the playoffs the last two seasons.

Could Krug land back in Boston?​

DeBrusk is the highest-profile/highest-producing Bruin to get this close to the UFA threshold since Torey Krug, their onetime point man. According to Krug at the time, the Bruins pulled an offer off the table in the weeks leading to his UFA eligibility, triggering his move to the Blues in October 2020 for seven years/$45.5 million. Now there are increasing hints Krug could be on the move again, only this time via buyout in the next 5-10 days. Still guaranteed three more years at $6.5 million per, Krug would be paid out across six years, the remaining value of $19.5 million reduced to $14 million.

If sent packing, Krug immediately would be rendered an unrestricted free agent, a scenario experienced in recent years by Zach Parise and Ryan Suter with the Wild, Kevin Shattenkirk with the Rangers, and others.

Krug, now 33, has delivered between 32 and 43 points in his four seasons under the Arch. He also invoked his no-trade clause to nix a 2023 deadline deal that would have sent him to the Flyers. Sounds increasingly like Blues management, amid a front office overhaul, is ready to move on from the diminutive blue liner.

Though never a stout defender, Krug did put up points in Boston, particularly on the power play. In the seven seasons leading up to departure, he scored 67 goals (24 on the power play) and 335 points — only six defenseman leaguewide scored more points in that stretch from 2013-14 to 2019-20.

In his four seasons wearing the Blue note, Krug has scored eight power-play goals in 255 games. Here in the Hub of Hockey, the entire cast of Bruins defensemen since his departure scored 17 power-plays goals, led by eight from Charlie McAvoy. The runners-up: Hampus Lindholm and Shattenkirk with two each.

All of which is to say that Krug, if sent packing, could be an interesting low-budget returnee for the Black and Gold. He is a left shot, still capable of sliding between pairings 2 and 3, and that left stick could offer interesting first- or second-unit balances to McAvoy’s right shot on the PP.

Oh, and the rekindling of the Krug-Brad Marchand insults from Twitter days, often centered on their challenged height, alone could be worth the price of acquisition.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When was this? By 2018 wasn't he struggling in the AHL?

Warts were already showing on Zboril by that point too, specifically his lack of hockey sense.
Zboril was working through a bunch of injuries so he was given tge benefit of the doubt . Gabriel was just cutting his teeth in the AHL.

Bennett was traded for a 2nd round pick and a B prospect. So ya, Zboril and Gabriel would have been overpay at that time.

Reactions: BruinDust

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He skills are there I will give you that , but the question is will he hold up over a full NHL season, I have might doubts, and let me read into what you are saying a little bit I am assuming you think he is your 1C and that is not realistic at all.
You read my wrong, he will be on the roster

Bruins are not going to put him in the AHL other than some seasoning games. He's a NHL player

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Zboril was working through a bunch of injuries so he was given tge benefit of the doubt . Gabriel was just cutting his teeth in the AHL.

Bennett was traded for a 2nd round pick and a B prospect. So ya, Zboril and Gabriel would have been overpay at that time.

I'll give you that Zboril may of still had trade value. But at no point was Jesse Gabrielle ever considered a top prospect. He played so poorly in the AHL halfway through they sent him back down to the WHL as an over-age player. The next season he's down playing in the ECHL.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Tomorrow’s Globe:

ETC.​

Nothing doing on DeBrusk, Swayman​

There are no plans for Bruins GM Don Sweeney to speak to the media until June 27 in Las Vegas, the day prior to Round 1 of the draft. Ergo, nothing from the corner office about an effort, if any, to keep Jake DeBrusk from becoming an unrestricted free agent, or where things stand with franchise goalie Jeremy Swayman on a contract extension.

Swayman’s agent, Lewis Gross, did not respond to an email from the Globe late in the week, seeking comment on Swayman’s contract status.

DeBrusk’s agent, Rick Valette, of High River, Alberta, likewise did not respond to a text seeking comment about his client’s next contract. For those planning a trip out there, High River is west of WHL Swift Current, where DeBrusk starred as a junior. Pro tip: Bring bear spray if you’re in the Greater Banff neck of the woods.

Swayman was awarded $3.475 million for 2023-24 via salary arbitration and could end up in that greenbacks taffy pull again this summer, if Sweeney and Gross again fail to negotiate a landing spot on a new deal. The Bruins are in the window that allows them to elect arbitration. Swayman can trigger it as of July 5.

A one- or two-year award could see Swayman, 25, double his pay of last season. As noted in this space recently, a long-term pact (maximum eight years, per CBA guidelines), could boost him to the $9.5 million-a-year echelon, if the deal were measured against the eight-year extension that Tuukka Rask signed in Boston at age 26 in 2013 (fresh off a run to the Cup Final).

Rask’s average annual value was $7 million. Adjusted for a cap boosted to $88 million next season, that would be $9.5 million. Currently, Sweeney has that cash on hand and potentially $10 million-$15 million more for UFA shopping.

DeBrusk, the club’s leading playoff scorer (13 games, 5-6–11) this spring, earned $4 million each of the last two seasons. When he packed up in Brighton on the traditional lockers-and-lamentations day, he said he never imagined the prospect that he could be leaving the training facility for one last time.

With July 1 a mere two weeks in the offing, the former first-round pick looks like he’ll hit the open market. He has been a streaky, sometimes slumping, regular-season scorer in his time on Causeway Street, but those playoff numbers this spring are guaranteed to catch eyeballs.

As Game 4 of the Cup Final approached on Saturday, DeBrusk’s 11 points ranked among the league’s 28 most productive forwards this postseason. Reasonable to think he’ll see offers of, say, five years/$30 million from clubs such as Chicago, Detroit, Anaheim, and San Jose.

The Flames, less than 200 miles south of DeBrusk’s hometown of Edmonton, have slightly more than $20 million in shopping dough to shore up a roster that has not made the playoffs the last two seasons.

Could Krug land back in Boston?​

DeBrusk is the highest-profile/highest-producing Bruin to get this close to the UFA threshold since Torey Krug, their onetime point man. According to Krug at the time, the Bruins pulled an offer off the table in the weeks leading to his UFA eligibility, triggering his move to the Blues in October 2020 for seven years/$45.5 million. Now there are increasing hints Krug could be on the move again, only this time via buyout in the next 5-10 days. Still guaranteed three more years at $6.5 million per, Krug would be paid out across six years, the remaining value of $19.5 million reduced to $14 million.

If sent packing, Krug immediately would be rendered an unrestricted free agent, a scenario experienced in recent years by Zach Parise and Ryan Suter with the Wild, Kevin Shattenkirk with the Rangers, and others.

Krug, now 33, has delivered between 32 and 43 points in his four seasons under the Arch. He also invoked his no-trade clause to nix a 2023 deadline deal that would have sent him to the Flyers. Sounds increasingly like Blues management, amid a front office overhaul, is ready to move on from the diminutive blue liner.

Though never a stout defender, Krug did put up points in Boston, particularly on the power play. In the seven seasons leading up to departure, he scored 67 goals (24 on the power play) and 335 points — only six defenseman leaguewide scored more points in that stretch from 2013-14 to 2019-20.

In his four seasons wearing the Blue note, Krug has scored eight power-play goals in 255 games. Here in the Hub of Hockey, the entire cast of Bruins defensemen since his departure scored 17 power-plays goals, led by eight from Charlie McAvoy. The runners-up: Hampus Lindholm and Shattenkirk with two each.

All of which is to say that Krug, if sent packing, could be an interesting low-budget returnee for the Black and Gold. He is a left shot, still capable of sliding between pairings 2 and 3, and that left stick could offer interesting first- or second-unit balances to McAvoy’s right shot on the PP.

Oh, and the rekindling of the Krug-Brad Marchand insults from Twitter days, often centered on their challenged height, alone could be worth the price of acquisition.
Hampy-Mac
Lohrei-Carlo
Krug-Peeke
Wotherspoon

I don’t hate this at all. Assuming of course Krug signs on the cheap. And assuming he actually wants to return to Boston after how it ended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad