Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Please continue.

REPORT: Six Intriguing NHL Teams Interested In Trading For Boston Bruins Superstar Goalie Linus Ullmark​

Boston Bruins goalie and 2023 Vezina Trophy winner Linus Ullmark is reportedly drawing interest from six enticing teams heading into the offseason.

Linus Ullmark had another excellent season in Beantown, but Jeremy Swayman’s career year led to him taking over as the new No. 1 goalie. Ullmark is five years older (31 in July) and entering the final year of his contract, so Boston is expected to shop him as they hand the full-time reigns over to Swayman.

According to a report from Dave Pagnotta of The Fourth Period, six teams may be in on the Ullmark sweepstakes, including three teams who reached the postseason:

The Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils, Ottawa Senators and Carolina Hurricanes are among the teams that expressed interest in Ullmark during the season – we know the Kings and Sens pitched offers before the trade deadline – and I’ve got to think all four clubs will reach out this summer, if they haven’t already. The Edmonton Oilers and Detroit Red Wings could reach out next month, too.
Five of the six teams listed above are in desperate need of a goaltending upgrade. The Edmonton Oilers are in the Western Conference Finals with the Stuart Skinner-Calvin Pickard tandem, so GM Ken Holland might be keen to retain this duo following another deep postseason run.

Feb 25, 2016
The Bruins (the train that could, but can’t) 1st pick at this years draft is 122: ouch!
Ranking 30 among NHL teams in its pool of prospects , and for the Jacob’s family to power concession and Bruins swag sales to the next level, Sweeney will need to package Ullmark, and I hope Carlo, to the Senators for Chychron (an upgrade on Carlo) and their 2024 #7 pick and maybe even next years 2nd rounder.

With nearly 21 mil in cap space and adding 9.1 mil by jettisoning Ullmark and Carlo, the Bruins can upgrade their current roster of lunch pale players for real impact centers, wings and d-men while also restocking their prospect shelves.

Reactions: AlpineLager

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Ullmark for Chychrun straight up could be a possibility. Gives Boston a top 4 LD for one year @ $4.6M while Lohrei continues to grow into a top 4 role. Chychrun could run the PP and give Boston more offense from the blue line. Problem is Ottawa probably wants to dump Korpisalo on to us which is a no go. And then what to do with Chychrun next year when he becomes a UFA? Don is probably looking for a player that would fit long-term for Ullmark.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Ullmark for Chychrun straight up could be a possibility. Gives Boston a top 4 LD for one year @ $4.6M while Lohrei continues to grow into a top 4 role. Chychrun could run the PP and give Boston more offense from the blue line. Problem is Ottawa probably wants to dump Korpisalo on to us which is a no go. And then what to do with Chychrun next year when he becomes a UFA? Don is probably looking for a player that would fit long-term for Ullmark.

I could get behind Ullmark for Chychrun. Let him and Lohrie run the PPs. Also gives a really good left handed one-time threat from the other halfwall on PPS if they wanted to do that giving Marchand a bit of a break. Or Marchand could be the low guy.

With nearly 21 mil in cap space and adding 9.1 mil by jettisoning Ullmark and Carlo, the Bruins can upgrade their current roster of lunch pale players for real impact centers, wings and d-men while also restocking their prospect shelves.

You keep repeating this but it's 4.5m in space, not 9.1m. Chychrun is on a 4.6m deal. So Ullmark 5m + Carlo 4.1m = 9.1m - Chychrun 4.6m = 4.5m. This also blows open a RD spot for Boston. You're entitled to your opinion but please at least get the math right.

Reactions: Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Allows for

Lindholm-McAvoy (best pairing in the league according to Rantanen)

Chychrun-Carlo

Which in theory should be terrific. He should be a perfect partner for Carlo. Also gives them a defenseman that can really shoot the puck, which imo is a serious need

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
The Bruins (the train that could, but can’t) 1st pick at this years draft is 122: ouch!
Ranking 30 among NHL teams in its pool of prospects , and for the Jacob’s family to power concession and Bruins swag sales to the next level, Sweeney will need to package Ullmark, and I hope Carlo, to the Senators for Chychron (an upgrade on Carlo) and their 2024 #7 pick and maybe even next years 2nd rounder.

Carlo is one of the best shutdown dmen in the league and he’s cost controlled, idk why he’s always on the trade wishlist.

Also this gives us a gap on the right side, we need to plug holes.

In terms of pure value I think Ullmark and Chychrun could be 1:1, or maybe like a third rounder attached. They really don’t like him and he doesn’t like them. Great target, though

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I don't think there is any chance Ullmark waives his trade protection to go to Ottawa, but Ullmark for Chychrun straight up is fair value for both clubs.
Supposedly he wants to stay on the east coast, per Dom. So with that info, I assume he has all the west coast teams on his no trade list. Which could explain why it is 16 teams, all WC teams. Obviously we don't know for sure.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Supposedly he wants to stay on the east coast, per Dom. So with that info, I assume he has all the west coast teams on his no trade list. Which could explain why it is 16 teams, all WC teams. Obviously we don't know for sure.

I have no idea what teams are and aren't on his list. I could see why he might have a team in a different country, where they speak a different language, and have even higher taxes than Mass on his list.

The one thing we do know is Sweeney has the list, and while he may ask Linus if he is willing to waive somewhere with the promise of a lucrative extension. I suspect Sweeney will likely just live with the list he has, while maybe using some of the teams on the list as leverage to drive up the price for a team not on the list.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Carlo is one of the best shutdown dmen in the league and he’s cost controlled, idk why he’s always on the trade wishlist.

In terms of pure value I think Ullmark and Chychrun could be 1:1, or maybe like a third rounder attached. They really don’t like him and he doesn’t like them. Great target, though
They really don't like him and doesn't like them.
That is precisely why the Bruins won't trade for Chychurn, he is baby soft and certainly not better than Carlo.
A big pass on that loser!.

Reactions: frankiess

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
could also have Canadian teams, but like many said, its easier to move your family during the summer than during the school year

Feb 25, 2016
I could get behind Ullmark for Chychrun. Let him and Lohrie run the PPs. Also gives a really good left handed one-time threat from the other halfwall on PPS if they wanted to do that giving Marchand a bit of a break. Or Marchand could be the low guy.

You keep repeating this but it's 4.5m in space, not 9.1m. Chychrun is on a 4.6m deal. So Ullmark 5m + Carlo 4.1m = 9.1m - Chychrun 4.6m = 4.5m. This also blows open a RD spot for Boston. You're entitled to your opinion but please at least get the math right.
I believe you’re misinterpreting my representation. The overall big picture view from 20,000 feet is with over 30 million in cap space, after said trades, there’s plenty of money to sign 3 high end player, collect some draft picks and sign Swayman. Move the pieces and picks around the league as you will but to say the Bruins can’t accomplish at least what I proposed misses the point.

Feb 25, 2016

I disagree entirely. Carlo is a 3rd pairing defenseman. He’s 50/50 good and bad. Carlo gets beaten on the boards like a rag doll. He does do his best I’ll give him that but to call him elite or better than Chychrun is a step I won’t take.

Chychrun will bring more speed and offensive skill. He reminds me of Adam Fox. A sound positional player who can run the power play and become a scoring forward down low, consistently.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I believe you’re misinterpreting my representation. The overall big picture view from 20,000 feet is with over 30 million in cap space, after said trades, there’s plenty of money to sign 3 high end player, collect some draft picks and sign Swayman. Move the pieces and picks around the league as you will but to say the Bruins can’t accomplish at least what I proposed misses the point.

But there are less than 20 high end players (maybe less than 10), and there are 30 teams competing for them . And some of those will resign with their current teams before FA even starts.

And Accumulating draft picks is just not at the top of the agenda right now. If the best they can get for ullmark is picks, then so be it, but that shouldn't be the priority

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lindholm - McAvoy = Smother -> Retrieve -> Move -> Rush
Chychrun - Carlo = Smother -> Retrieve -> Move -> Rush
Lohrei - Peeke = Smother -> Retrieve -> Move -> Rush

This is all true. But, both Lorhei and Chychrun will need raises after next season. Where is that money coming from if you have done anything to improve the forward group?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I disagree entirely. Carlo is a 3rd pairing defenseman. He’s 50/50 good and bad. Carlo gets beaten on the boards like a rag doll. He does do his best I’ll give him that but to call him elite or better than Chychrun is a step I won’t take.

Chychrun will bring more speed and offensive skill. He reminds me of Adam Fox. A sound positional player who can run the power play and become a scoring forward down low, consistently.
Good lord what a take.

Amazingly, your assessment of Chychrun is even worse than Carlo.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Carlo is an excellent shutdown D man.

He also is not a good transition player or a good offensive player.

With Carlo on the ice, you are essentially deciding you are OK with defending instead of trying to score. It makes him an excellent PK guy. First class. But, it means he gives away almost as much as you gain at 5 on 5. I wouldn't call him 3rd pairing, but he isn't someone you want to feed 25 minutes in the post season to, either.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Carlo is an excellent shutdown D man.

He also is not a good transition player or a good offensive player.

With Carlo on the ice, you are essentially deciding you are OK with defending instead of trying to score. It makes him an excellent PK guy. First class. But, it means he gives away almost as much as you gain at 5 on 5. I wouldn't call him 3rd pairing, but he isn't someone you want to feed 25 minutes in the post season to, either.
Carlo had 59 Offensive Zone starts ALL YEAR. Mason Lohrei had 100, for perspective.

He was dead last in the league for OZ starts among defensemen with 500 mins TOI at 22.7%. He was 5 points behind second to last.

And yet, the Bruins scored 59% of the goals while he was on the ice - 17th in the whole league.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I wouldn't trade Carlo for Chychrun straight up and not without a significant Ottawa add if it happened, and I also hope the Bruins don't trade Ullmark for him. His offensive skills are nice and he has that shot from the blueline that Bruins could really use, but . . .this past season he played 82 games for the first time in his career (and he never got very close before). If you put together a Chychrun highlight package the majority of it would be him getting injured in various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad