Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 08/29/2024)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Steven Ellis, the prospects analyst for Daily Faceoff, is reviewing each teams's top prospects. Today he released his ranking for the Rangers:

1. Perrault
2. Othmann
3. Emery
4. Berard
5. Sykora
6. Garand
7. Fortescue
8. Robertson
9. McConnell-Barker
10. Rempe

While I like a couple of players more than his ten the only glaring disagreement I have is with Robertson. The full report is found here: 2024-25 NHL Prospect Pool Breakdown: New York Rangers’ Top 10

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Steven Ellis, the prospects analyst for Daily Faceoff, is reviewing each teams's top prospects. Today he released his ranking for the Rangers:

1. Perrault
2. Othmann
3. Emery
4. Berard
5. Sykora
6. Garand
7. Fortescue
8. Robertson
9. McConnell-Barker
10. Rempe

While I like a couple of players more than his ten the only glaring disagreement I have is with Robertson. The full report is found here: 2024-25 NHL Prospect Pool Breakdown: New York Rangers’ Top 10
Robertson should not be included at this point. Rsthervhave Roobroeck or Chemlar in the top 10

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

1. Perrault
2. Othmann
3. Emery
4. Berard
5. Sykora
6. Garand
7. Fortescue
8. Robertson
9. McConnell-Barker
10. Rempe

Though I truly respect Steven Ellis and the work he puts in, he needs to watch more Wolf Pack games.
Robertson shouldn’t be in the top 10 and unless he’s basing his list on the players draft rankings, Othman should not be ahead of Berard.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Though I truly respect Steven Ellis and the work he puts in, he needs to watch more Wolf Pack games.
Robertson shouldn’t be in the top 10 and unless he’s basing his list on the players draft rankings, Othman should not be ahead of Berard.
His writeup on Robertson is about what I'd expected at this point, so I think including him at 8 says more about how Ellis feels about the players ranked lower than it does about Robertson himself.

Regarding Othmann and Berard, I think Berard was the more dynamic player this year, but let's not forget that Othmann is a year younger and, for whatever it's worth, did outscore Berard slightly. His play at 5 on 5 improved as the year went on. Ranking him ahead of Berard is totally fair IMO.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
His writeup on Robertson is about what I'd expected at this point, so I think including him at 8 says more about how Ellis feels about the players ranked lower than it does about Robertson himself.

Regarding Othmann and Berard, I think Berard was the more dynamic player this year, but let's not forget that Othmann is a year younger and, for whatever it's worth, did outscore Berard slightly. His play at 5 on 5 improved as the year went on. Ranking him ahead of Berard is totally fair IMO.

And FWIW, the board has also ranked Othmann ahead of Berard in our prospect rankings just a few weeks ago.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Robertson would not be in my top 10 and probably not BMB and Fortescue might be the 10th guy and I like both BMB and Fortescue a lot. That said I haven't really sat down lately and tried to rank prospects.....but Edstrom and Mancini I'm pretty sure would be in my top 10 and Laba and Chmelar both in the conversation for top 10. Roobroeck is another I like a lot and all of the above I'd put over Robertson.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m surprised at how Laba keeps getting overlooked on these prospect lists after the last two years he’s had. He’s been the complete driving force for Colorado College, is their matchup C that plays in all situations, and has even had numerous highlight reel plays. He’ll probably be developed into a matchup bottom-6 C at the next level, but his game looks very translatable and I expect him to make it to the NHL

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I’m surprised at how Laba keeps getting overlooked on these prospect lists after the last two years he’s had. He’s been the complete driving force for Colorado College, is their matchup C that plays in all situations, and has even had numerous highlight reel plays. He’ll probably be developed into a matchup bottom-6 C at the next level, but his game looks very translatable and I expect him to make it to the NHL
There several guys like Laba who I think are interesting prospects who don’t get much attention. In particular I am looking forward to watching the development of Mancini, Roobroeck, chmelar, and Edstrom.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
There several guys like Laba who I think are interesting prospects who don’t get much attention. In particular I am looking forward to watching the development of Mancini, Roobroeck, chmelar, and Edstrom.
thissssssssssssss

in the scope of our system I wouldn't call him underrated but he will surprise a lot of people imo.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Hodes42

Mar 26, 2024
I’d check if life permitted, but I wonder what the board was saying about Marchessault when he was in Hartford…

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’d check if life permitted, but I wonder what the board was saying about Marchessault when he was in Hartford…
There were only a handful of people actively following Hartford back then as the games weren't as accessible IIRC. So, discussion about players was usually limited to a few of us that could either watch, or who followed the few guys like Gerry Cantlon that wrote about the team. Twitter wasn't really a source then, either.

Anyway, we all liked Marchessault and were hoping the Rangers signed him, but when he chose a different path I don't recall any outrage. Again, mainly because he didn't have the exposure that he would now.

Anyone know what happened to squishy? She was a great poster, as was Jarkko Immonen. Both went MIA long ago.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Draft position also influence rankings right or wrong.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think this is how I would rank Rangers prospects through 15.

1. Perreault
2. Othmann
3. Emery
4. Berard
5. Sykora
6. Rempe
7. Jones
8. Edstrom
9. Garand
10. Mancini
11. Fortescue
12. Laba
13. Chmelar
14. McConnell-Barker
15. Roobroeck

16 through 21 would be interchangeable between Boilard, Korczak, Lamb, Robertson, Scanlin and Vaisanen (and I put all those names in alphabetical order).

Ollas is interesting but it's hard to say because he played for a mediocre college program and after turning pro late last year he didn't see much action. Will he be better than Lindbom or Boyko? I don't know. I hope so but it's wait and see. Guys like Henricks and Larsson on the verge of starting their college careers are ?'s and so are Aspinall who will need to step up his play and Gredig who no one seems to know much about....though he did play for the Swiss WJC team last year.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
moving this to new/current prospect thread, had posted to prior, earlier today

NHL rights expire at age 27, in his case,
2026, after the summer after this contract expires

Is moving from Sweden to Switzerland a sign of improvement or is this about where he belongs in terms of reaching his ceiling? Believe former Devil Janne Kuokkanen is also signed with Lausanne.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is moving from Sweden to Switzerland a sign of improvement or is this about where he belongs in terms of reaching his ceiling? Believe former Devil Janne Kuokkanen is also signed with Lausanne.

The lifestyle and the money is better in Switzerland. SHL is still a higher level than NL, but the gap has closed quite a bit in recent years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A kid sued the NCAA because he played in a couple OHL exhibition games and that cost him his college eligibility. This will likely lead to the end of the prohibition on Major Junior players being able to play in the NCAA, which has been inevitable for a while now, since the implementation of NIL essentially ended the whole "amateurism" charade.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
that potential change has been brought up a few times with NILs in place it makes the whole thing dumb. If it changes it will be cause NCAA admits they aren't no more amateurs than the guys in juniors now not cause some random guy didn't follow the rules and is now crying about it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Most of the college conferences are against allowing CHL players into the game, with the reported notable exception being the CCHA. The CCHA keeps losing players in the portal to bigger schools in other conferences. They want to be able to recruit CHL players.

When this happens there will be an influx, of an unknown degree, of Canadian players in the NCAA. The obvious flip side is that there will be less spots for U.S. kids, which I don't like. It will also diminish the USHL; those guys that go and play a year or two in the USHL before going to school, now they'll be able to go play in the CHL since they won't have to worry about preserving their eligibility (the same will be true for the BCHL and the other Canadian Junior A leagues). The CHL is going to lose over-age players who will prolong their careers by going to college on a scholarship where they'll get a degree and a continued chance to catch on with a pro team.

It will cause a lot of change across more than just the NCAA.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Most of the college conferences are against allowing CHL players into the game, with the reported notable exception being the CCHA. The CCHA keeps losing players in the portal to bigger schools in other conferences. They want to be able to recruit CHL players.

When this happens there will be an influx, of an unknown degree, of Canadian players in the NCAA. The obvious flip side is that there will be less spots for U.S. kids, which I don't like. It will also diminish the USHL; those guys that go and play a year or two in the USHL before going to school, now they'll be able to go play in the CHL since they won't have to worry about preserving their eligibility (the same will be true for the BCHL and the other Canadian Junior A leagues). The CHL is going to lose over-age players who will prolong their careers by going to college on a scholarship where they'll get a degree and a continued chance to catch on with a pro team.

Seems like this would be great news for the NCAA from an entertainment POV. League could get much better if better players are coming in from the CHL. Yes it's takes the USHL down a notch however.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

i'd imagine it's a pretty common dynamic around the league. i agree about his being overlooked in the sense i think he's a virtual lock to at least get some time in an nhl uniform at a minimum at this point. that said, he's a late round pick that doesn't have high end offensive potential or any kinda wow factor in his skillset that jump off a screen and his team doesn't have a huge profile. i do think, given his progress so far though, he could be viewed very differently a year from now. if he takes another step and is able to lead cc to the tourney, i think his name becomes very popular around here where he's viewed as another cuylle. that might mean vaulting himself into a pretty marketable deadline chip. it would also probably have way too many people thinking he should be on the playoff roster.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

The flip side could also be that more teams are created if there is more revenue potential. Colleges always look to make a buck

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00