Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 08/29/2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Cuylle I think played special teams in Hartford, I hope he gets that chance for the Rangers this year. Would take pressure off Mika, Kreider, Trocheck the vets. Would not mind having some younger players PK this year like Edstrom. Didnt Dom Moore PK his first season as a Ranger his rookie year? I think Cuylle and Edstrom should get a look on the PK at least. Edstrom or Cuylle id like to see in front on PP2 causing havoc and screening the goalie legally.

It should be Kakko and Edstrom.

Trochek
Zibanejad
Kreider
Vesey (if he is in the lineup)
Edstrom
Kakko
Carrick

It should be a 7-man group with the 3 centers. What is going to throw a wrench in this is that Reilly Smith is a good PKer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Trochek
Zibanejad
Kreider
Edstrom
Kakko
Carrick

It should be a 7-man group with the 3 centers. What is going to throw a wrench in this is that Reilly Smith is a good PKer.
Top 4 are a given. Carrick is 5th being a center (and if he’s not playing it must be Brodzinski as his replacement for all roles) I also think that R. Smith will be PKing so that’s 6. 7th is largely irrelevant.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Trochek
Zibanejad
Kreider
Edstrom
Kakko
Carrick

Kakko ehh. He is not a good enough skater to be on the PK. Players that play that PK are usually quick, tenacious and have good hockey IQ. Kakko is not any of that at this time. I’d give Cuylle or Lafy PK time before Kakko. Both are smarter players.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kakko ehh. He is not a good enough skater to be on the PK. Players that play that PK are usually quick, tenacious and have good hockey IQ. Kakko is not any of that at this time. I’d give Cuylle or Lafy PK time before Kakko. Both are smarter players.

What? Kakko is one of the most effective players the Rangers have at intercepting passes and getting the puck back

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't disagree, but the PK isn't about being fast, it's about positioning and covering large areas effectively with your stick
IMO it's a combination of things - Kakko is not a slow skater per se (he's obviously not a burner either). His slowness comes from slow reactionary thinking rather than a "muscle memory" anticipation approach. He's also not the strongest in one-on-one battles but not to the same detrimental degree as the former issue.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
True but you can’t have a slow player out on the PK either.

Goodrow is slow as molasses. So is Kevin Hayes who was a very effective PKer as a Ranger.

The no 1 priority is to keep the puck out of your own net. Most of the PK will be played in your own zone. There is very little skating at a high pace involved for PKers unless there's a breakaway.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Honestly I think Sykora is being underrated a bit on here. He doesn’t have Top 6 skill upside but he has/is growing into everything you want out of a shutdown winger. Fast, high iq, relentless, physical. He’s got *extensive* defensive experience, especially as one of the youngest kids in his draft. He’s undersized but growing, and more importantly has a great understanding of how to use his lower center of gravity to his advantage in gaining and maintaining puck control.

He’s the kind of bottom 6er that contenders overpay for at the deadline, and then overpay in UFA. We have him young and we have him cheap

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Honestly I think Sykora is being underrated a bit on here. He doesn’t have Top 6 skill upside but he has/is growing into everything you want out of a shutdown winger. Fast, high iq, relentless, physical. He’s got *extensive* defensive experience, especially as one of the youngest kids in his draft. He’s undersized but growing, and more importantly has a great understanding of how to use his lower center of gravity to his advantage in gaining and maintaining puck control.

He’s the kind of bottom 6er that contenders overpay for at the deadline, and then overpay in UFA. We have him young and we have him cheap

I'll go a step further here. Sykora, at 19 years old, had 23 points in 66 games in the AHL. If he takes a step this year, at 20, to say ~40-45 points in the same number of games, he will be tracking for middle-6 upside, not just the bottom-6. I think many people misunderstand that at their same age, many kids his age are still playing Juniors and if he was there, he would have been well over a ppg.

Give him another full year in the AHL, with development and adding strength, and we could be looking at a Brett Berard-like season (Berard scored 48 points in 71 games) at 21 years old. Will Cuylle scored 45 points in 69 games as a 20 year old. It would put him right in line with those guys, both of whom I think have middle-6 upside as complimentary pieces.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'll go a step further here. Sykora, at 19 years old, had 23 points in 66 games in the AHL. If he takes a step this year, at 20, to say ~40-45 points in the same number of games, he will be tracking for middle-6 upside, not just the bottom-6. I think many people misunderstand that at their same age, many kids his age are still playing Juniors and if he was there, he would have been well over a ppg.

Give him another full year in the AHL, with development and adding strength, and we could be looking at a Brett Berard-like season (Berard scored 48 points in 71 games) at 21 years old. Will Cuylle scored 45 points in 69 games as a 20 year old. It would put him right in line with those guys, both of whom I think have middle-6 upside as complimentary pieces.
I’m not sure if this is in response to someone but we’re back to the same point - there won’t be room on the same team for both undersized middle - bottom line wingers in Berard and Sykora, unless either of them develops a scoring touch enough to be placed higher in the lineup. But this is a problem for down the line as on the other hand there’s still no 100% guarantee that both will make it, though both are getting closer and closer on their respective development curves.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m not sure if this is in response to someone but we’re back to the same point - there won’t be room on the same team for both undersized middle - bottom line wingers in Berard and Sykora, unless either of them develops a scoring touch enough to be placed higher in the lineup. But this is a problem for down the line as on the other hand there’s still no 100% guarantee that both will make it, though both are getting closer and closer on their respective development curves.

I could see a scenario where Berard is playing with Kreider and Zibanejad and Sykora and Cuylle are 3rd line wingers for this team.

Where I start to get lost a bit is projecting BMB, Chmelar, Edstrom, Laba and Lamb.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I could see a scenario where Berard is playing with Kreider and Zibanejad and Sykora and Cuylle are 3rd line wingers for this team.

Where I start to get lost a bit is projecting BMB, Chmelar, Edstrom, Laba and Lamb.
I can’t see this scenario just based on on Berard and Sykora motor and tenacity. These other prospects that are getting their first taste of pro game this season will overtake these two as soon as they get anywhere close to the same performance levels because the size difference will be a factor if not against both then at least against one of Berard or Sykora.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

o know we're excited but not all of these dudes are going to make it in the NHL.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I can’t see this scenario just based on on Berard and Sykora motor and tenacity. These other prospects that are getting their first taste of pro game this season will overtake these two as soon as they get anywhere close to the same performance levels because the size difference will be a factor if not against both then at least against one of Berard or Sykora.
Eh. Look, there's definitely validity to the argument that size matters. It does.

But two guys with big motors that are undersized can fit into the same lineup and win a championship. These are both players that at their peak will be tenacious motor guys with speed who will get in on forecheck and create havoc. If they both reach their ceiling or close to it, they could prove to be more effective players than the big dudes, if the big dudes just aren't as effective.

For instance, Brian Boyle was a good Ranger but in a 4th line role. He really couldn't play up the lineup. Not even top 9.

Whereas Carl Hagelin moved around the lineup quite a bit because he could help any line retrieve the puck.

If Berard and Sykora approach Hagelin levels (and Berard may very well have more offense), then they become very useful.

One thing this team has not had in recent years -- the right chemistry and perhaps the right players to have more interchangeable parts upfront. If Syky and Berard both end up being bottom 6ers with limited offensive upside, then yeah, I think your argument carries significantly more weight. But if either or both become guys who can move around the lineup and fit in on multiple lines and vastly improve our forecheck then that can be as team-identity altering as any other move. To me, when Vegas was at their best, they weren't juggling 6 or 7 top line guys, they had 8 or 9 very effective players who played with pace who could easily move around the lineup. That allows teams to come in waves on forecheck, handle injuries, and make lineup adjustments on the fly.

If BB and AS both end up becoming that, they are not as redundant as having two Brian Boyles or two Bretty Howdens or two Kaapo Kakkos.

Reactions: bhamill

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Eh. Look, there's definitely validity to the argument that size matters. It does.

But two guys with big motors that are undersized can fit into the same lineup and win a championship. lineup adjustments on the fly.
I'm not disputing this assertion but the nuance is that at least one of them need to develop another tool for this to happen. I gave an example already - Callahan became a good enough goal scorer to hang in top-6, Hagelin's speed was welcomed all over (but still not enough production to hang on the top lines consistently), etc. This is my point - big motor is very nice but not enough to have both undersized guys in the lineup.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was a little surprised that NYR and Chmelar didn't decide to do a third NCAA season. Team must be regaining confidence in Hartford as a developmental program, which I suppose there is some early credence to.

Berard, Othmann, BMB, Chmelar, Vaisanen at forward with Lamb, Laba joining at season's end is a lot of young forwards competing for ice time and roles.

Reactions: noncents

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was a little surprised that NYR and Chmelar didn't decide to do a third NCAA season. Team must be regaining confidence in Hartford as a developmental program, which I suppose there is some early credence to.

Berard, Othmann, BMB, Chmelar, Vaisanen at forward with Lamb, Laba joining at season's end is a lot of young forwards competing for ice time and roles.

Vaisanen is playing out this year in Finland, if I remember correctly. He'll be here for training camp and back again for the end of season, but won't be a regular in the lineup.

Edit - yup, that's the case

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

And Sykora returning too - a vet lol

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

I could see him being a smaller Brandon Tanev, if that makes sense. His skill set is extremely translatable to the NHL. There's limited upside to the way he plays the game, but I believe he will eventually be an absolute pain in the ass in our bottom 6. He can't even buy a beer for another 13 months.

His development curve has been what you would expect from a late first rounder. The fact that we got him in the late 2nd in a year where we didn't even have a first round pick is incredible drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad