Prospect Info: 2024-2025 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 10/02/2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Managing a team is more than just managing the cap. Teams can only carry 50 NHL contracts at a given time. Rangers are at 46. I wouldn't expect more than 48 going into a season and that's because of trade or waiver pick up flexibility. If you're already at 50 you can't add a player without dumping a player beforehand. Also that one guy for two guy deals are out. Not that I expect that we're going to be making such a deal or that we'll be picking anyone up on waivers at least anytime soon.

As far as signing prospects just because you have the space to do it....you might also stick yourself with a guy on a 3 year ELC and if he turns to shit then you haven't done the team or him a favor and you're left either allowing him to ride that term out or figuring a way to get rid of him. To me also when you have guys who are going to spend a season or more in the ECHL they're not really worth giving an NHL contract. As is the Rangers have more than enough players on NHL contracts to fill out the Wolf Pack's roster. So the point of giving someone 3 years who's not good enough to play for your AHL team is questionable. I prefer younger prospects who have some reasonable chance of one day becoming good NHL players and not everyone even on our AHL team is going to end up doing that.

I get it but with the lack of depth especially on young dman in Hartford, they should consider taking a chances on someone that might improve the depth. The Rangers should not rely on depth NHL vets or AHL depth vets. Habs got depth on young defense, Ducks also have young depth on defense, maybe a forward prospect for dman trade might happen in the future. outside of Robertson (who is not that good and AHL depth vets play with the Rangers like Mackey and Harpur over him tells the story of his chance to make it), Scanlin (who also does not look like an NHL player) and Mancini (who looks impressive and the best of the bunch) the depth is not that great as far as potential and young quality defensive depth. Honestly I hope the Rangers can draft an overage dman or someone from Europe who can play in the AHL in the mid-rounds in this upcoming draft so he might have the chance to improve that defensive depth in Hartford. When injuries to the defense happens, this will be an issue with this team. Do we want to see Harpur and Mackey in playoff games? I rather take a chance with Mancini and or some future d prospect that is already playing pro hockey.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I get it but with the lack of depth especially on young dman in Hartford, they should consider taking a chances on someone that might improve the depth. The Rangers should not rely on depth NHL vets or AHL depth vets. Habs got depth on young defense, Ducks also have young depth on defense, maybe a forward prospect for dman trade might happen in the future. outside of Robertson (who is not that good and AHL depth vets play with the Rangers like Mackey and Harpur over him tells the story of his chance to make it), Scanlin (who also does not look like an NHL player) and Mancini (who looks impressive and the best of the bunch) the depth is not that great as far as potential and young quality defensive depth. Honestly I hope the Rangers can draft an overage dman or someone from Europe who can play in the AHL in the mid-rounds in this upcoming draft so he might have the chance to improve that defensive depth in Hartford. When injuries to the defense happens, this will be an issue with this team. Do we want to see Harpur and Mackey in playoff games? I rather take a chance with Mancini and or some future d prospect that is already playing pro hockey.

Well if Mancini doesn't make the Rangers he's a very young man. Also Miller is 24 and Schneider 23. If Mancini does make the Rangers it's almost like Hartford at the end of last year was a stepping stone for him from college to the NHL and it might work the same way with Emery and Fortescue and both of those guys kind of have many of the same comparable to Miller, Schneider and Mancini---size (though they both need to fill out), skating and very good defensive ability.

This year then if Mancini does make the Rangers there are three guys who have some NHL experience with the Pack who might be good players to call up in an emergency--Mackey, Harpur, Fitzgerald. I don't hate that. As for Fortescue and Emery my guess is they play 24-25 and 25-26 with their respective colleges and then turn pro towards the end of 25-26 though with the teams BC puts together Fortescue might not be able to join the Rangers/Pack until the summer.

As for injuries and NHL playoffs. I don't even want to see Ruhwedel in the playoffs. That will mean there are injuries. Towards the deadline I would kind of expect the Rangers to bring in another D anyway. These same things most if not every NHL playoff team will have to deal with though. My major concern is we've traded away so much draft capital that if we add a significant player at the deadline we'll either have to trade next year's 1st or a significant younger player off our main roster. That's shit that happens to most teams once their windows open up to being a Stanley Cup contenders.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Fortescue at 81 seems low. He played big minutes as a freshman on one of the best teams in college hockey, and also played a significant role on the gold medal winning WJC team.

Larsson at 96 is probably right until he shows something at the NCAA level.
Way too low, but he's not flashy so that's probably why. Then again neither is Emery and he's ranked very high.

He was a complete rock back their for BC last season and I expect him to get even a bigger role this year.

Reactions: bhamill

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Unless a player was considered a top pick for the 2025 draft they didn't list any undrafted players. The article cited today about Colorado College's Gleb Vermeyev for example wasn't on this list and he was someone who caught my attention last year as a guy who is going to get signed by someone and probably after this year. From year to year there are a lot of undrafted guys who become top college players. I was also surprised that Rasmus Larsson made this list and Brody Lamb didn't. Lamb had a pretty good sophomore year.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
reading these posts is a bit like that dream scene in Being John Malkovich, except the only thing everyone can say is

"young defensive depth"
"young defensive depth!"
"young depth dman?"
"depth!!! young defensive!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad