Line Combos: 2024-2025 Powerplay Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Fire MSL bro, and if Kent Hughes don't want to do it, fire Kent Hughes

Fire everybody that has a hand in that historically terrible powerplay
I've been saying this for a while, mainly out of frustration. Clearly, MSL won't be fired anytime soon and neither will HuGo, and honestly, they probably shouldn't be. But the fact that the PP issues have been an afterthought for everyone who's run this team for the past 7 or so years, makes me want to make to beat the shit out of something.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Laine or not. The key to this year's success is whether MSL can fix that PP. he still has enough pieces to do it w/o Laine. If that PP gets us 1-2 goals a game, we’ll be in the

View attachment 910983

That'd be the best PP in the league by a wide margin. Tampa led with 71 last year(0.87 PPG per game). Edmonton's elite PP had 64 PPG(5th in the league). We had 44 goals last year(24th in the league). If we go from bad to elite it's only a 20 goals swing and moves us from 25th in goals for to 19th. We need far more offense in general, not just the PP.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
i'm joining the thread with fresh ideas

what if instead of wheeling the puck for 90 seconds we tried taking shots
By simply shooting more it will get the PK moving out of their position, which is good to create further opportunities, and they need to stop attempting so many cross ice, low percentage passes.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

IMG_2352.jpeg

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
The players have to move more and the puck has to move faster, in order to create more disruptions and confusion in the opposing PK structure.

We're so static and we don't move the puck quickly, which makes it easy for teams to keep their PK structure against us.

Also, it doesn't help that we've been so poor on pass execution. So many missed passes and fumbled receptions in zone, giving more time for opposition PK to get positioned and maintain their structure.

Hutson, and to a lesser extent, Suzuki are the only ones who seem to have shown a lot of movement so far in the preseason on the PP.

At least gaining the zone doesn't seem.to have been much of an issue. If there is any bright side here.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The power play is such a weird thing, sometimes the amount of skill is irrelevant. It helps when you have more skill but that's not always the answer. The chemistry between the 5 players is the most important aspect and we just don't have that. We've seen bad teams with amazing power plays and really good teams with all kinds of talent have an atrocious man advantage. Penguins are great example, Crosby/Malkin/Guentzal/Letang/Karlsson and yet one of the worst pp in the league. Maybe Hutson will change that for us.

Reactions: the valiant effort

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Big body who can handle the puck in front of net. Like Monahan last season. Dach fits description but can't win faceoffs. Put him on wing? Newhook plays center on PP?

Reactions: Rapala

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Exhibition is one thing, but that first line better pull their heads out of their asses when the season starts. They’ve been pretty invisible and clearly look terrible on the PP. i was questioning whether Caulfield was even dressed he’s looked so invisible. Slaf too aside from his fight.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Taking shots requires opening up lanes and having net front otherwise it's just another way to turn the puck over or create a stoppage.
I'd love nothing more than having a PP that could take more MEANINGFUL shots. I already complain about many of the shots we do take.
We aren't moving the puck fast enough we aren't moving ourselves or the defenders nearly enough.
No one attacks the box to create confusion and our puck retrieval isn't where in needs to be.
We also have players who can't execute under duress and those guys are constantly under attack.
How do we practice creating a good PP when our PK is so passive. Very few teams are passive against us.

That's an awful lot of issues to deal with before saying let's take more shots. If it was that easy they would have done it already.

Last edited:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Taking shots requires opening up lanes and having net front other wise it's just another way to turn the puck over or create a stoppage.
I'd love nothing more than having a PP that could take more MEANINGFUL shots. I already complain about many of the shots we do take.
We aren't moving the puck fast enough we aren't moving ourselves or the defenders nearly enough.
No one attacks the box to create confusion and our puck retrieval isn't where in needs to be.
We also have players who can't execute under duress and those guys are constantly under attack.
How do we practice creating a good PP when our PK is so passive. Very few teams are passive against us.

That's an awful lot of issues to deal with before saying let's take more shots. If it was that easy they would have done it already.

I think it's a give and take and you're right, i'm just more focused on how they all refuse to shoot unless they get the PERFECT lane in front of them like we're still playing for Sheldon Souray to take a slapper

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Big body who can handle the puck in front of net. Like Monahan last season. Dach fits description but can't win faceoffs. Put him on wing? Newhook plays center on PP?
I agree the first thing we need to do is use big bodied wingers who are able to help us win more scrambled draws.
For me Caufield has never been that guy particularly along the wall on draws.

Reactions: morhilane

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think it's a give and take and you're right, i'm just more focused on how they all refuse to shoot unless they get the PERFECT lane in front of them like we're still playing for Sheldon Souray to take a slapper
One of the reasons I like Lane Hutson on the point is he puts the puck to or on the net with a purpose every time.
I'm not a genius but I do know our forwards will be far more comfortable going to the net under those circumstances.
Matheson will do it sometimes but generally he's trying to blast one past the goaltender.
I'm going to the net far more often if I'm not likely to take a 90-100 mile an hour puck off any sensitive areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad