Speculation: 2024-2025 General Lightning Discussion: Preseason Edition

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Jump scare warning

I didn't know it was this bad, but you see over and over again big FA's not live up to their big contracts. Guentzel should at least be good for the first half of his contract. He's got Point and Kucherov to work with. I imagine JBB felt it necessary to get a big name to replace the loss of Stamkos.
I hate Guentzel's number.
It's as much an eyesore as a number can be. Seeing it every game is going to be the worst thing about having him on the team.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My main takeaway here is that the NHL point system sucks.

30 out of 32 are above .500 and yet I constantly see people saying their team is actually decent if they're just above that mark.
They’re looking at a 19 year time frame here though. With parity it’s not surprising that almost all teams had a period of success.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
They’re looking at a 19 year time frame here though. With parity it’s not surprising that almost all teams had a period of success.
True, but there are too many people around here who hear the term .500 and think of an average team, which it clearly isn't. On any given season ~ 2/3 of the teams will be above that mark.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
That obviously fake Vatrano rumor just won't go away, keep running into it here and there on Lightning fan pages. Viral social media is a funny thing

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That obviously fake Vatrano rumor just won't go away, keep running into it here and there on Lightning fan pages. Viral social media is a funny thing
Roger Hicks gets the most user engagement on Vatrano to Bolts tweets, so he keeps doing them.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Dom from The Atheltic did this grading for all NHL teams
NHL contract efficiency rankings, 2024: Which teams spend their money most wisely?
We ranked 13th.
1000134490.jpg

Here is what he wrote:
The front half of Andrei Vasilevskiy’s deal went extremely well for the Lightning. The back half might not if last year was any indication. I’m inclined to believe his struggles were injury-related and he can get back on track, but if not … $9.5 million for four more years is a lot of money for a goalie who may no longer be a slam-dunk top-five choice.

The Lightning have two other problem deals in their core with Anthony Cirelli and Erik Cernak. Both are still effective players but their price points over seven years look a bit much.

However, the Lightning can afford that luxury thanks to some stellar deals from their top forwards. At $9.5 million, Nikita Kucherov is obviously vastly underpaid and so too is newly minted Jake Guentzel, who the model views as an eight-figure winger.

Both deals pale in comparison to Brandon Hagel’s $6.5 million AAV for eight years. There was some sticker shock when he signed, but Hagel is the real deal: an elite play-driver who scored 75 points last year with limited power-play time. If he starts getting reps on PP1, he’ll be an even bigger steal.
Cirelli and Cernak are our main problem value wise (shocker), with Cernak being valued as 1.8M(!) overpaid.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
NHL contract efficiency rankings, 2024: Which teams spend their money most wisely?
We ranked 13th.
View attachment 896971

Here is what he wrote:

Cirelli and Cernak are our main problem value wise (shocker), with Cernak being valued as 1.8M(!) overpaid.
Maybe, but there was no chance Cernak was ever taking 3.5 when he signed. If he can avoid the injury problems for a large part of a season, he's not close to being 1.8 overpaid. Cirelli may be 750k overpaid, but he was never taking 5.5 after being on a 4.8 bridge and with the success he and the team were.having at the time. Both contracts, barring injury, should be fine value moving ahead with a cap that will be `100 million in a couple of years (and only going up from there).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
We ranked 13th.
View attachment 896971

Here is what he wrote:

I'm convinced Dom from the athletic is the same Dom from our boards.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
This lineup definitely is the softest and most questionable players in the top 9 we have had in a long time. Sheary atkinson, and chaffee are all waiver type players. Cirelli needs to take a big step forward on offensive to get near 60 points and 30 30 status to be an elite top 6 defensive minded center who can produce like Bergeron amd Krejci were for Boston. We lack at least one actual top 6 winger and at least better bottom 6 forward. Defense maybe improved but not counting on an older injury prone McDonough to fix it. Raddysh,perbix,Moser, and lilleberg need to take a step forward. We can't afford to have Hedman or McDonough to take a step back. We need vasi to improve and can't count on him to steal games anymore.
We really need on or two of Geekie, Dukes, gonclaves, and Finley to take a huge step forward and push out these fringe nhl vets. I still don't get why we didn't sign sprong for around a million. He is better than Sheary and Atkinson . He could actually help the pp.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We ranked 13th.
View attachment 896971

Here is what he wrote:

How did he come to these numbers? Glendening, and Girgensons getting zero/negative value grades on league minimum is just crazy talk and Moser is somehow supposed to only be worth 2.4M after doing a solid job on Arizona's top pair.

Vasy, Cernak, and Cirelli I understand the argument

Reactions: Maelmoor

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How did he come to these numbers? Glendening, and Girgensons getting zero/negative value grades on league minimum is just crazy talk and Moser is somehow supposed to only be worth 2.4M after doing a solid job on Arizona's top pair.

The Athletic's numbers were all over the place. Bobrovsky being a 1 million dollar player, etc. They sort of de-emphasized them last season.

At the time JBB signed Serge, Cernak, and Cirelli, they were actually pretty close to what The Athletic valued them as.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This lineup definitely is the softest and most questionable players in the top 9 we have had in a long time. Sheary atkinson, and chaffee are all waiver type players. Cirelli needs to take a big step forward on offensive to get near 60 points and 30 30 status to be an elite top 6 defensive minded center who can produce like Bergeron amd Krejci were for Boston. We lack at least one actual top 6 winger and at least better bottom 6 forward. Defense maybe improved but not counting on an older injury prone McDonough to fix it. Raddysh,perbix,Moser, and lilleberg need to take a step forward. We can't afford to have Hedman or McDonough to take a step back. We need vasi to improve and can't count on him to steal games anymore.
We really need on or two of Geekie, Dukes, gonclaves, and Finley to take a huge step forward and push out these fringe nhl vets. I still don't get why we didn't sign sprong for around a million. He is better than Sheary and Atkinson . He could actually help the pp.
Quick question....have you actually seen the list of 30 goal scoring Centres from last year? Like fine, I'll give you 60 points as a benchmark...but 30 goals? I think you need to put your rage boner away.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
so when are we trading Cirelli, Cernak, Gauthier, a bunch of firsts and later picks for Zegras, Vatrano, and Gudas

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
The only way I see Cirelli getting 60 points is playing with Hagel and Guenztel most of the year, and it'd be like 18 goals, 42 assists.

Reactions: The Gongshow

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Not to mention that Moser went to arbitration for his current deal.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Not to mention that Moser went to arbitration for his current deal.
I wonder what his value for TMFVR and Jake Dotchin is?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Makes you wonder what the criteria is to get hired
When it comes to media, its all about sensationalism and wild takes that generate engagement. Its not actually about being a good journalist anymore. Truth, Facts, and Fair opinions are frowned upon now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad