2024-2025 Blues Trade Proposals Thread.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
We're years away from Schenn interfering with our salary cap. With so many young players expected to hit the roster over the next few seasons we can afford to pay Schenn's deal, and even with declining play, if he provides leadership and guidance to the younger generation I'd be happy to keep him. Building an entire roster of guys "only age 27 or younger" is more of NHL video game management and isn't realistic. Sure a team can focus on a young core, which we are, but veterans will always fill some sort of roles on all teams. Im perfectly fine with an aging Schenn and Buch for the foreseeable future. Sure if we need to move him out his last year or two, so be it, but his contract should be of zero concern right now.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Removed the Snuggerud part because I don't fully disagree that there's risk there, but there is with any prospect.

Wanted to touch on the Schenn part being hard to move. While I don't think you could expect a substantial return for Schenn I think that there are alot of teams looking to move out from the rebuilding phase going towards contending that could benefit and would like to add a guy like Schenn. The issue at hand is we are also in that spot. We don't really need the cap space, we've proven with Steen that a guy like that can still be rostered in a contention window and does add value. I don't really forsee them moving on from Schenn, but I do think eventually they're going to have to remove the captaincy from him and hand it over to Thomas. Your guess is as good as mine about how that plays out, and honestly with Steen taking over, there's a possibility it doesn't play out. it just seems like a rather logical move.

I think the most logical player to move is Saad, and i'm not really sure the organization cares about stockpiling the prospect pool as much as they did the last couple of years. In terms of his clause, I think it would be fairly easy if it got to the point to convince him that moving to a contender is a better career move for him than staying here for a year and a half to have his ice time limited because we need to see this younger core getting meaningful minutes.

The other players you listed, save Faulk/Leddy which I don't think they'd be someone that we would move, aren't really too meaningful in terms of where we want to be in the next couple of years. They were all pretty low risk bets. I don't think you'd see the Blues moving out Sunny, but instead moving him into an extra forward role, which for the player may not be the best situation, but at least he's still here where he wanted to be.

You said Steen proved a guy like Schenn can add value. How? Aren't they different players? Steen's offensive game diminished but he was still a rock star defensively and on the cycle. Skills ideal for a 4th line role. Schenn hasn't been half as good defensively on his best day as a 35 year old Steen on his worst.

I like Schenn, but I see him as a player whose value will erode as his offensive game goes. Despite his physicality, I don't see him as a good 4th line fit as an older veteran who lost his shot and some foot speed.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You said Steen proved a guy like Schenn can add value. How? Aren't they different players? Steen's offensive game diminished but he was still a rock star defensively and on the cycle. Skills ideal for a 4th line role. Schenn hasn't been half as good defensively on his best day as a 35 year old Steen on his worst.

I like Schenn, but I see him as a player whose value will erode as his offensive game goes. Despite his physicality, I don't see him as a good 4th line fit as an older veteran who lost his shot and some foot speed.
The quality to emulate from Steen is the willingness to take whatever role the team needed. Schenn seems to have that type of attitude. We’ll see if he can adjust his game for 4th line roles when it comes to it.

For me, the anticipated explosion in the salary cap over the duration of Schenn’s contract is what will make it easier to either move or cope with. It just won’t hurt as much even if he’s cooked and can’t fill a useful role.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The quality to emulate from Steen is the willingness to take whatever role the team needed. Schenn seems to have that type of attitude. We’ll see if he can adjust his game for 4th line roles when it comes to it.

For me, the anticipated explosion in the salary cap over the duration of Schenn’s contract is what will make it easier to either move or cope with. It just won’t hurt as much even if he’s cooked and can’t fill a useful role.

Taking a lesser role as your skill diminishes is great. But the reason Steen was so important to that team is he took it and excelled at it. That 4th line was crucial to wear down opponents, provide a spark, spell our top lines, and chip in some offense. If Steen was completely washed, all the willingness in the world wouldn't have mattered. Schenn due to his play style, strengths and weaknesses, could be more of a liability than an asset as he ages, even if he is willing to take a lesser role.

I do agree his cap hit as cap rises won't cripple us. Still if we can move him for cheap, that would be my preference given we have other aging cap hits of the same amount and I feel his will age the worst (aside from Krug who is probably LTIRetired).. But that is just a guess on my part

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, Steen fit perfectly with Barbashev and Sunny and they were able to handle tough assignments. Schenn will eventually just be a piece that is probably adequate on the 4th, but doesn't really do anything that well anymore.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Schenn needs two things to age like Steen and he has one of them, the right attitude.

It's not enough and he looks close to done with his career. I love Schenn. He can say he did a thing I desperately wanted him to do, while many other Blues cannot. But he looks cooked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad