2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Well, Army did reference a deal where both sides would have to be comfortably uncomfortable. This is it IMO. I would’ve preferred fewer years or less AAV or to have traded him but it’s unlikely to be a disaster contract.

Just not sure how well a 34-36 year old Buch making $8M/year fits into the new core in a few years.
He won't turn 34 until April of 2029 and he turns 36 in April of the last year of the deal. So it's a bit more than a few years before we are seeing him in that age range. The first 4 years of this contract are his age 30-33 seasons.

Who knows when exactly the decline will begin, but he's only 3 years older than Kyrou and 4 years older than Thomas. That's not an insignificant number of years when you're talking about pro sports, it's not a number that terrifies me.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues have no intention of tanking. Looks like they’ll be in the hunt for a playoff spot and barely miss out again and draft around 16 again. Being stuck in mediocrity is the worst thing in sports. We better hope our current prospects turn out to be elite.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Maybe he sees it as a re-tool and not a rebuild. :sarcasm:
I'd bet good money that is the case. That is very much Army's vision and Army went on record that the first step in negotiations was selling Buch on the vision. Since those comments, we added a Cup-winning coach as an assistant and bolstered the bottom 6 of the forward group by a noticeable degree.

Right or wrong, the front office has indicated that we're not interested in being 15 points out of the playoffs by December and playing a bunch of meaningless hockey. I think odds are pretty good that Buch was convinced that he didn't just sign up to go through the motions for 200+ games of meaningless hockey over the next few years.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Wow, I just saw all the news. This is gonna take me a while to process. Off the cuff takes.

- I love Buch and think extension seems fair, just still believe correct move would have been to trade him.

- Faksa is a nice move to secure a 4th line center with Sunny's health to start the season in question. Probably means Dean starts in AHL.

- Joseph is a little confusing cause it crowds an already crowded middle six. We all know the top line now we have Joseph, Texier, Schenn, Saad, Neighbours as NHL proven players and guys like Dvorsky, Bolduc and Sylvegard competing for one spot.

I also saw we just signed the other Joseph LHD that the penguins didn't qualify. That now gives us Leddy, Krug. Perunovich, Tucker and Joseph all on the left side. Is there another trade coming?

Reactions: Celtic Note

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
Not even sure we need Binny to stand on his head.
Our forward group actually looks really good defensively.
Offensively challenged and maybe a bit soft; but very good defensively.
That's mostly directed towards the defense. Hopefully it gets addressed soon!

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Wow, I just saw all the news. This is gonna take me a while to process. Off the cuff takes.

- I love Buch and think extension seems fair, just still believe correct move would have been to trade him.

- Faksa is a nice move to secure a 4th line center with Sunny's health to start the season in question. Probably means Dean starts in AHL.

- Joseph is a little confusing cause it crowds an already crowded middle six. We all know the top line now we have Joseph, Texier, Schenn, Saad, Neighbours as NHL proven players and guys like Dvorsky, Bolduc and Sylvegard competing for one spot.

I also saw we just signed the other Joseph LHD that the penguins didn't qualify. That now gives us Leddy, Krug. Perunovich, Tucker and Joseph all on the left side. Is there another trade coming?
Probably, I have a hard time believing we will have both Krug and Perunovich on the roster come opening night, but we will see.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

In regards to crowdedness. I think they've given themselves the flexibility to do a couple of things. Have a player in the press box that is a pretty good player, or trade away a Saad etc Krug/Tucker. Or ultimately, I think we see Tucker waived, possibly Perunovich too. Creates a competition which is a really good idea. Someone's going to have to earn a spot here if they want to crack a roster.

Reactions: Blueston

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

I still haven't seen the POJ signing confirmed anywhere.
Assuming it happens, I'd imagine Tucker starts the year off in Springfield to replace Rosen.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I like that alot, would also like to add someone like a Broberg if it's cheaper than a 3rd rounder. Give us some immediate youth on defense and see if any of them find a good fit. Probably a better move than going after a veteran
Broberg cheaper than a 3rd rounder? Not sure if I read that right but there is zero chance of that happening after the playoffs he just had, he has much more value than that.

Reactions: AyeBah and Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I like that alot, would also like to add someone like a Broberg if it's cheaper than a 3rd rounder. Give us some immediate youth on defense and see if any of them find a good fit. Probably a better move than going after a veteran
Broberg is now a cult hero and future Norris winner in Edmonton depending on who you ask. That won't happen.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Haven’t actually seen the POJ confirmed, but assuming it happens I think that’s a pretty sizable upgrade on Tucker at the very least. I’m in the minority who still has some faith in Perunovich figuring it out, but if he doesn’t, Joseph is a solid guy who maybe doesn’t wow you but doesn’t usually hurt you either.

Reactions: LGB

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Broberg cheaper than a 3rd rounder? Not sure if I read that right but there is zero chance of that happening after the playoffs he just had, he has much more value than that.

Well considering they can't afford to pay him 2m a year currently. I don't see them getting back much more than a 3rd if they are moving him.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Haven’t actually seen the POJ confirmed, but assuming it happens I think that’s a pretty sizable upgrade on Tucker at the very least. I’m in the minority who still has some faith in Perunovich figuring it out, but if he doesn’t, Joseph is a solid guy who maybe doesn’t wow you but doesn’t usually hurt you either.

It's finally showing on capfriendly now.
1 year, 2 way; 775K cap hit

Reactions: 542365 and Mohko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad