2024-2025 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Both my childhood and adulthood hero
He is the reason I'm a Blues fan.

Technically speaking, I’m a Blues fan because of having Peoria Rivermen season tickets my entire childhood.

Between us being the Blues affiliate, and also having Hull, it certainly made 4-5 year old me’s choice between the Blues or the Blackhawks even easier lol.

Also, there is no single athlete I’d like to spend a night drinking beers with and hearing story time from than Hull. None.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Any Hull content from back in the day is always incredible lol
If we had to rank every player that’s ever played in the NHL for “best stories”, I’d imagine Hull might be #1 on that list. Or very close to it.

There’s been a lot of classic ones I’ve heard. And I can only imagine the ones we haven’t heard.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yung'uns

I can (just barely) remember all 3 Plagers on the Blues, Moose Dupont with the Blues, Noel Picard as a player, Steve Durbano (the first time), Battleship Bob Kelly

oh, and the streaming locks of Gary Unger
Same here, mostly. I don't remember Durbano at all, but I remember the Plager brothers. The earliest I can remember is when we lived in Maplewood when I was little and we'd walk to The Arena from our house. My oldest brother looked just like Unger, but names I knew way back then, besides the Plagers and Unger, were Andre Dupont, Ernie Wakely (cuz they made me play goalie) and then maybe Frank St. Marseille. Bob Gassoff came a lil bit later. Jacques Plante was always in my ear, but I don't remember him.

Other than those guys, I can't remember anyone else from way way way back.

The Blues have had some great lineups.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Same. And I've lived in New York my whole life. That's how much I liked (still love) Hull.
I'm from West Virginia. Ice hockey was not even thought of where I'm from, just football/baseball basically. We eventually got an ECHL team named the Blizzard which we went to every game and became legit fans of the sport. That's what got me interested in hockey but when me and my buddies decided to start following the NHL my best friend picked the Devils (Brodeur), I picked the Blues (Hull) and we both rooted for the Sharks (expansion team that year). Hulls scoring mixed with his personality hooked me. Good times.

I wish hockey programs were around when I was a kid. I would have definitely played that instead of football. Hockey is still basically invisible around here with next to zero programs for youth. When my kids were young, I drove them to Charleston, WV to play and I coached them. That program wasn't much more than a home league and we had to drive 3+ hours just to find other teams to play.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hull is probably the main reason I became a Blues fan as a kid. That and my dad being a big Blues fan and taking me to games…

He’s a heck of a guy and has a ton of great stories. But I have one bad experience with him. For a couple years pretty long ago I worked part time for the Iowa Stars, Dallas’ poorly run AHL affiliate at the time. This was also the year the Stars made the super smart decision to fire Armstrong and hire Hull and Les Jackson as co-GMs. Hull visited Des Moines and to say he was unprofessional would be an understatement. I tried to talk to him at the bar when we all went out later and he blew me off.

Then again, another time a few years later, I was at OB Clark’s with my brother and we ended up getting invited to hang out at a table with Kerbs, Hull, Chaser, Jon Hamm, David Freese (right after he was World Series MVP) and some others I didn’t recognize but were also probably famous. But it was Krebs and Hamm that asked if we wanted to sit down. A very fun evening that involved getting blood on Jon Hamm and an eventual trip to the ER. 😬

Hull’s a great guy to have a beer with I’m sure. Was just an absolutely abysmal manager but seems like both the Stars and Blues eventually figured that out and he’s more just an “ambassador” now.

ds774622

Jun 6, 2024
I'm from West Virginia. Ice hockey was not even thought of where I'm from, just football/baseball basically. We eventually got an ECHL team named the Blizzard which we went to every game and became legit fans of the sport. That's what got me interested in hockey but when me and my buddies decided to start following the NHL my best friend picked the Devils (Brodeur), I picked the Blues (Hull) and we both rooted for the Sharks (expansion team that year). Hulls scoring mixed with his personality hooked me. Good times.

I wish hockey programs were around when I was a kid. I would have definitely played that instead of football. Hockey is still basically invisible around here with next to zero programs for youth. When my kids were young, I drove them to Charleston, WV to play and I coached them. That program wasn't much more than a home league and we had to drive 3+ hours just to find other teams to play.
That's funny because the Devils' AHL team was one of my local teams growing up. After they left we had some teams in leagues that were later merged into the ECHL (UHL/IHL). One of my first concrete hockey memories is watching the Devils sweep Detroit in the '95 final. Watched on FOX with a set of rabbit ears lol. But my favorite color was blue so I couldn't possibly root for a red team HAHAHAHAHA.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
That's funny because the Devils' AHL team was one of my local teams growing up. After they left we had some teams in leagues that were later merged into the ECHL (UHL/IHL). One of my first concrete hockey memories is watching the Devils sweep Detroit in the '95 final. Watched on FOX with a set of rabbit ears lol. But my favorite color was blue so I couldn't possibly root for a red team HAHAHAHAHA.
The Devils were my Eastern Conference team in the mid-90s in large part due to Marty Brodeur and their team being stacked on NHL 95.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I guess I am one of few who did not love Hull. Amazing goal scorer, but so much of his game was frustrating to watch (like cough neutral zone and back). The prima-donna attitude was grating.

I appreciate what he did for the Blues in terms of increasing the appeal to fans.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Damn, I must be on the young end here, because by the time I really knew what hockey was Hull was already gone lol. Still love him though.
My avi is MacInnis because when you're 9 years old and don't really understand hockey well at all but like it, you still completely understand why the guy who shoots the puck hard enough to break bones is good. Hull was gone before I was old enough to care about sports. Speaks to his personality that I like him so much despite having zero memories of him with the Blues.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
My avi is MacInnis because when you're 9 years old and don't really understand hockey well at all but like it, you still completely understand why the guy who shoots the puck hard enough to break bones is good. Hull was gone before I was old enough to care about sports. Speaks to his personality that I like him so much despite having zero memories of him with the Blues.
I’m guessing we’re probably around the same age (early 30s here) as those early 2000s blues were my first real memories. Loved chopper, and always loved seeing him in the hardest shot contest at the ASG.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Hull is probably the main reason I became a Blues fan as a kid. That and my dad being a big Blues fan and taking me to games…

He’s a heck of a guy and has a ton of great stories. But I have one bad experience with him. For a couple years pretty long ago I worked part time for the Iowa Stars, Dallas’ poorly run AHL affiliate at the time. This was also the year the Stars made the super smart decision to fire Armstrong and hire Hull and Les Jackson as co-GMs. Hull visited Des Moines and to say he was unprofessional would be an understatement. I tried to talk to him at the bar when we all went out later and he blew me off.

Then again, another time a few years later, I was at OB Clark’s with my brother and we ended up getting invited to hang out at a table with Kerbs, Hull, Chaser, Jon Hamm, David Freese (right after he was World Series MVP) and some others I didn’t recognize but were also probably famous. But it was Krebs and Hamm that asked if we wanted to sit down. A very fun evening that involved getting blood on Jon Hamm and an eventual trip to the ER. 😬

Hull’s a great guy to have a beer with I’m sure. Was just an absolutely abysmal manager but seems like both the Stars and Blues eventually figured that out and he’s more just an “ambassador” now.
I’m going to need you to expand on this lol. How did John Hamm get blood on him and why did someone need to go to an ER? Also thats awesome you worked for an AHL team what did you do there?

Reactions: STL fan in MN

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m going to need you to expand on this lol. How did John Hamm get blood on him and why did someone need to go to an ER? Also thats awesome you worked for an AHL team what did you do there?
Just some basic marketing and community stuff. Was a fun side gig as I had some extra time. Job disappeared when the affiliation switched to the Ducks.

Ok, so I’ll preface this by saying that I’m generally a mature, fairly ducks in a row person but this story isn’t one of my bright spots… 😬

So it was the playoffs and the Blues were playing the Sharks. I lived in Des Moines and my brother lived in Seattle but was in STL at the time so we decided to go to a game together since we pretty much never can. I leave work early and drive down there still in my business clothes. Great game. Blues won. It was the game Halak got hurt by Jackman sliding into him.

The plan after the game was to go to OB Clark’s. I had parked over near union station but as I headed to my car, I found I had entered the wrong parking lot and the one I needed was across the street. I could go around or I could hop this little waist high fence. I decide to hop the fence.

What I failed to notice was that the top bar was all rusted and broken at the ends. I hop the fence and on my way over, the bar gives and the top of the chain link punctures the top of my hand. I pull it out but it’s a pretty big hole. I go into Maggie O’Briens and clean up with some paper towels. Call my bro and say we need to go to ER and not OBs.

It then occurs to me it’s not really bleeding that bad. I mean, I’m definitely going to need some stitches but this was our one night together in STL so I call him back and say let’s go to OBs and then the ER. So we go, get beers, toasted ravs etc.

Then Krebs, Hull, Chaser, Hamm etc come in and put a few tables together right next to us. We ordered more ravs and as they came to the table I guess Krebs thought they were going to him? He made some sort of quip (jokingly) about how these guys already had ravs and he was still waiting on his. I made some comment and then asked him about Halak’s injury and we ended up pulling up a chair and chatting a while. My gf at the time was a huge Mad Men fan so I knew I had to try to get a pic with Hamm and eventually asked him. He was super cool about it.

I should mention I was keeping my bloody right hand in my pocket or at least closed with a paper towel stuffed in my palm the whole time. After the pic, Hamm went to shake my hand and then saw this bloody hand and gave me this look of disgust. Shortly after that we went back to our table, finished our beers before heading to the ER. BUT before we left, Hamm went to the bathroom and I happened to notice a red dot on the back of his shoulder. W/o thinking, I put my right hand on his shoulder for the pic. 🤦‍♂️So…yeah, that’s how I got blood on Jon Hamm. 😬

Perhaps the best part of the story is that later in the ER, my brother is flipping through the pics on his phone and the guy next to us starts talking about David Freese and all these other Cardinals players we met. We’re like, who? Where? That’s apparently who the rest of the party was that my brother and I didn’t even recognize. I’m a decent Cards fan and knew who the players were but I guess that night proved that unless they’re wearing a jersey with their last name on the back, I won’t recognize them. :laugh:

Anyway, that’s my story.

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Just some basic marketing and community stuff. Was a fun side gig as I had some extra time. Job disappeared when the affiliation switched to the Ducks.

Ok, so I’ll preface this by saying that I’m generally a mature, fairly ducks in a row person but this story isn’t one of my bright spots… 😬

So it was the playoffs and the Blues were playing the Sharks. I lived in Des Moines and my brother lived in Seattle but was in STL at the time so we decided to go to a game together since we pretty much never can. I leave work early and drive down there still in my business clothes. Great game. Blues won. It was the game Halak got hurt by Jackman sliding into him.

The plan after the game was to go to OB Clark’s. I had parked over near union station but as I headed to my car, I found I had entered the wrong parking lot and the one I needed was across the street. I could go around or I could hop this little waist high fence. I decide to hop the fence.

What I failed to notice was that the top bar was all rusted and broken at the ends. I hop the fence and on my way over, the bar gives and the top of the chain link punctures the top of my hand. I pull it out but it’s a pretty big hole. I go into Maggie O’Briens and clean up with some paper towels. Call my bro and say we need to go to ER and not OBs.

It then occurs to me it’s not really bleeding that bad. I mean, I’m definitely going to need some stitches but this was our one night together in STL so I call him back and say let’s go to OBs and then the ER. So we go, get beers, toasted ravs etc.

Then Krebs, Hull, Chaser, Hamm etc come in and put a few tables together right next to us. We ordered more ravs and as they came to the table I guess Krebs thought they were going to him? He made some sort of quip (jokingly) about how these guys already had ravs and he was still waiting on his. I made some comment and then asked him about Halak’s injury and we ended up pulling up a chair and chatting a while. My gf at the time was a huge Mad Men fan so I knew I had to try to get a pic with Hamm and eventually asked him. He was super cool about it.

I should mention I was keeping my bloody right hand in my pocket or at least closed with a paper towel stuffed in my palm the whole time. After the pic, Hamm went to shake my hand and then saw this bloody hand and gave me this look of disgust. Shortly after that we went back to our table, finished our beers before heading to the ER. BUT before we left, Hamm went to the bathroom and I happened to notice a red dot on the back of his shoulder. W/o thinking, I put my right hand on his shoulder for the pic. 🤦‍♂️So…yeah, that’s how I got blood on Jon Hamm. 😬

Perhaps the best part of the story is that later in the ER, my brother is flipping through the pics on his phone and the guy next to us starts talking about David Freese and all these other Cardinals players we met. We’re like, who? Where? That’s apparently who the rest of the party was that my brother and I didn’t even recognize. I’m a decent Cards fan and knew who the players were but I guess that night proved that unless they’re wearing a jersey with their last name on the back, I won’t recognize them. :laugh:

Anyway, that’s my story.
You know he got back to wherever he was staying that night and realized, "That f***er got blood on my shirt!" :laugh:

Ad

Ad

Ad