2024/2025 Around the League

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Next year's Olympics matter, and those aren't legit if Russia is not involved.

It is not best-on-best if Russia is not in. Simple.
Meh, the 1980 and 1984 Olympics didn't feature the USA and USSR at the same time for political reasons, nothing you can do there.

I’m not sure the players are going to look at it that way. Especially because of how long it’s been since a beat on best tournament was had.
I'm sure the players will be psyched but they're still not the ones making the decisions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
R.95a898eef5ab45dda0e2493333cc40cc

• Haha
Reactions: S E P H

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Oh goodness. If you're banning Russia then you ban the United States.
One of these countries is not currently in war with with a European country and the Western world.

And not banning itself from a tournament it's hosting.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
One of these countries is not currently in war with with a European country and the Western world.

And not banning itself from a tournament it's hosting.
They are in that same war by proxy, as well as funding Israel in their wars. Banning countries for political reasons will always get messy. Though I am glad to see Russia gone for their systematic doping. That is relevant to hockey.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They are in that same war by proxy, as well as funding Israel in their wars. Banning countries for political reasons will always get messy. Though I am glad to see Russia gone for their systematic doping. That is relevant to hockey.
Yeah, that's the real issue as far as sports go. It wasn't so much that the doped, they were just so goddamned brazen about it. They literally dared the IOC to do something about it. They did, but it was completely pointless. They were allowed to compete, but just couldn't call themselves "Russia" or fly the flag in an official capacity, so all it did was take an already surly bunch of whiners and give them a rallying cry.

I could go on about the whole war thing but admittedly that is not a uncomplicated subject.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Am I the only person that thinks Aho is overrated? At least comparing him to the elite Finnish players. Why is he Finland’s “guy”? You got Barkov and Rantanen that are both better, more exciting , and have won.
I somewhat agree. He’s really good, but he’s not a cup winning 1C.

Reactions: Chiarelli

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This is a contentious topic. My personal view is that sports teams shouldn't be punished for the decisions made by their governments. I would also say it is hypocritical for many countries, including the US, to bang the drum for excluding countries from international events without also examining their own direct and indirect roles in current global politics.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is a contentious topic. My personal view is that sports teams shouldn't be punished for the decisions made by their governments. I would also say it is hypocritical for many countries, including the US, to bang the drum for excluding countries from international events without also examining their own direct and indirect roles in current global politics.
Okay Brezhnev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad