2024/2025 Around the League

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
You can always just see Trouba's eyes light up whenever he sees somebody in a vulnerable position like that. His hits are "legal" in a technical sense, but all of these hits he makes are predatory and unnecessarily vicious. He likes to hurt people.
Well, keep your head up and don't let him hit you then. It's a contact sport and hits like this are part of it.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I guess I'm in the minority but I had no issue with the hit Trouba threw. If you freeze-frame almost all open ice hits you can see head contact being made.

Trouba doesn't explode upward, doesn't leave his feet, tucks his elbow. Do we want him to just give Barron a bit of a shove on that play?

The onus there is 100% on Barron.
Couldn’t agree more. Barron is hunched over and not paying attention for like 50 feet.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I guess I'm in the minority but I had no issue with the hit Trouba threw. If you freeze-frame almost all open ice hits you can see head contact being made.

Trouba doesn't explode upward, doesn't leave his feet, tucks his elbow. Do we want him to just give Barron a bit of a shove on that play?

The onus there is 100% on Barron.

I agree with you here. This looks textbook to me. Beauty of a hit. Unfortunate that Barron was injured. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How is he targeting the head? He leads down to hit Barron. If anything, he's trying not to hit the head. It's not his fault Barron decided to crouch and also skate like this is shinny not expecting to get hit.

Elbow tucked, no upward explosion, skating backwards into the hit. That's textbook to me.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Head is going to be hit in every single open ice to an extent. So if you want to take it out, you simply ban open ice hitting. No ifs and buts, that's the cold hard truth.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I dunno, puck was already gone, he's clearly targeting the head to the point where he leans into it off-balance, that just looks like a guy trying to injure someone to me. And that's Trouba's M.O.
The puck wasn’t gone nearly long enough to make Barron ineligible for the hit. He’s not targeting the head (though head is clearly contacted, which is not illegal in the NHL). It was an absolutely meant to be a physical hit that made an impact. I wouldn’t say intent to injure, but Trouba wants to make a physical impact.

As the rulebook sits, it doesn’t break any rules. From there we get into, is this something that should be in the game? And I think everyone has slightly different (and valid) opinions on that.

Reactions: LOFIN

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How is he targeting the head? He leads down to hit Barron. If anything, he's trying not to hit the head. It's not his fault Barron decided to crouch and also skate like this is shinny not expecting to get hit.

Elbow tucked, no upward explosion, skating backwards into the hit. That's textbook to me.
He's thrusting forward at Barron's head to the point where he loses balance. No way was he going for the chest.

Skating backwards means nothing. That's exactly how he's taken off guys' heads before.

I realize Barron does nothing to help himself here and should be a lot smarter about that but it doesn't fully excuse that hit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Head is going to be hit in every single open ice to an extent. So if you want to take it out, you simply ban open ice hitting. No ifs and buts, that's the cold hard truth.
Which is very unlikely to happen in the NHL.

He's thrusting forward at Barron's head to the point where he loses balance. No way was he going for the chest.

Skating backwards means nothing. That's exactly how he's taken off guys' heads before.
You can’t effectively hit without pressuring into it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can’t effectively hit without pressuring into it.
I've seen Adam Foote stand guys up at the blue line and knock the slobber out of them without him having to resort to what Trouba did there. Nikita Zadorov is a friggin' giant and yet it's extraordinarily difficult for me to name times he hit a guy in the head. He almost always plants that shoulder right in the other player's chest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad