2024/2025 Around the League

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'll trade Ross Colton's chicklets to wipe out a goal against Justus any day.

[edit...somebody forgot what thread they were in while watching the game.]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Dubas never intended for the Pens to be good this year, no matter what he said publicly. His priorities were to make sure Sid retires as a Pen and kill time until his rebuild can start. Expecting him to retool that roster into something good on the fly while carrying the 17.6 million dollar reanimated corpses of Letang and Karlsson as his top pair is like asking him to jump to the moon.

It's the inevitable life cycle of any great team. It happened to Detroit, it happened to Chicago, it happened to Pittsburgh, it's happening to Tampa, and it will happen to the Avs. Good drafting can forestall it for a while, but every team needs to rebuild sometimes. The alternative is the Minnesota Wild lifetime of mediocrity. I would much rather watch a bunch of superstars set records for a while and pay the price later than finish between 10th and 18th in the standings every single year. When the Avs suck again, at least I'll have the memories of a Cup win to console myself with. San Jose and Nashville didn't even get that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's the inevitable life cycle of any great team. It happened to Detroit, it happened to Chicago, it happened to Pittsburgh, it's happening to Tampa, and it will happen to the Avs. Good drafting can forestall it for a while, but every team needs to rebuild sometimes. The alternative is the Minnesota Wild lifetime of mediocrity. I would much rather watch a bunch of superstars set records for a while and pay the price later than finish between 10th and 18th in the standings every single year. When the Avs suck again, at least I'll have the memories of a Cup win to console myself with. San Jose and Nashville didn't even get that.
I'd much rather trade the stars when the window is closed to kickstart a rebuild right away. The only goal should be winning the Stanley Cup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ownership is forcing the core to stay in Pitt (they fired a guy for not wanting to re-sign Malkin) and to ‘try’ to be in playoff contention. Dubas signed on with the time horizon of riding these guys to retirement and getting the full chance to rebuild it from the ground up his way. It probably won’t work, but judging him by how the Pens do this year ignores the whole situation.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd much rather trade the stars when the window is closed to kickstart a rebuild right away. The only goal should be winning the Stanley Cup.
Those are your priorities, but just understand that you're in the minority. If you polled Avs fans at large (not just the hyper engaged ones on this board) the vast majority of them would RIOT if the Avs traded MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Makar next summer. Lots of people fall in love with their players, and get an extra thrill to see a star play with only one team for their entire career. I guess you don't understand that, but trust me, many, many people wouldn't share your sentiment.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really hope Rooney is okay, he did not look good by any means. I think he was totally blacked out.

It's great to see the Penguins getting abused on home ice, they are the Oilers of the East for me. Gifted franchise with no actual skills of building teams, just tanking in generational drafts.

Montembault is definitely a goalie I wish the avs would've pursued..
Logan Thompson, but no way Vegas trades him to us.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Well, at least we werent the only team who got smoked in opening night.... Pens and Oilers getting destroyed on home-ice is something....:golfnana:

And Vancouver losing to Calgary after this lead is another story.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad