2024/2025 Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Absolute bullshit, and I can't believe I have to explain what this means to some people on the mains.

If this was applied on a larger scale, it's basically a free ticket for a team to get out of a bad contract. Of course some players would not agree because they want to play, but I bet a lot of them (especially older ones) would be more than happy to stay at home collecting their money.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They did say it was a unique situation. For all we know Lehner could be in a psychiatric hospital and unable to report.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Absolute bullshit, and I can't believe I have to explain what this means to some people on the mains.

If this was applied on a larger scale, it's basically a free ticket for a team to get out of a bad contract. Of course some players would not agree because they want to play, but I bet a lot of them (especially older ones) would be more than happy to stay at home collecting their money.

Nice precedent for Nuke's next coke binge.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So what happened is Vegas could terminate the contract but they decided to let him have the money even if they didn't have to.

Seravalli:

Sources indicated the Golden Knights had a strong case to fully terminate the deal, which would result in no pay, but they didn’t want to pursue that path – as they were only seeking salary cap relief. From the NHLPA perspective, protecting a player’s earnings was of the utmost importance

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah seems like a case where Vegas (and the NHL) said either you agree to no cap hit... or we terminate the whole deal and Lehner gets nothing. Easy agreement for the NHLPA to agree to. I do wonder if this will count against the players' share.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It does:

His $4.5 million is still expected to count against the players’ share of the 50/50 revenue split with owners.

Not a huge loss... but still a loss for all the other players. The rest of the NHL players would be slightly better off if that 4.5m evaporated.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hopefully we can do this with Nuke when he f***s up again this season.
Unlikely considering he likely wants to play in the future and Nuke would have to agree.

I would say there is a slim chance of Nuke agreeing if the timing hits just right. Say he gets pinched at the beginning of April. He's have received most of his pay for this year, but would be missing out on next season's 7.3m. This would leave him without a salary for a year, and 'only' ~20m left for him to collect. After taxes, escrow, and such... that's probably in the realm of ~11-12m. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility at that point that he'd agree to terminate and find a deal in Russia. I'm sure he can find a ~2-2.5m a year deal there. Not going to happen until that 7.3m is not collectable though.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Unlikely considering he likely wants to play in the future and Nuke would have to agree.

I would say there is a slim chance of Nuke agreeing if the timing hits just right. Say he gets pinched at the beginning of April. He's have received most of his pay for this year, but would be missing out on next season's 7.3m. This would leave him without a salary for a year, and 'only' ~20m left for him to collect. After taxes, escrow, and such... that's probably in the realm of ~11-12m. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility at that point that he'd agree to terminate and find a deal in Russia. I'm sure he can find a ~2-2.5m a year deal there. Not going to happen until that 7.3m is not collectable though.

I'm gonna trade him to Winnipeg in my NHL 25 franchise mode when it comes out. Gonna trade him cheap too so he knows how I feel about this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad