Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Interesting prospect. Lots to like here. RHD shot with size and really good skating as well as great defensively? That will play in the league. Just hope we can coax some more offence out of him.

Sounds like right hand shot TJ Brodie to me, albeit one that will actually hit. I like it

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Despite his offensive numbers Treliving thinks there’s more to his game. A lot see defensive dman but maybe they see him more of a two way player with some offense to him.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Toronto certainly has a certain style when drafting, good hockey sense and competitive, two things you cannot teach.

Seems like a good skating mobile D-man that can move the puck as well break up a play with his frame.

Have to see Toronto develop him properly now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting prospect. Lots to like here. RHD shot with size and really good skating as well as great defensively? That will play in the league. Just hope we can coax some more offence out of him.

Sounds like right hand shot TJ Brodie to me, albeit one that will actually hit. I like it

Ben Danford on the strengths/weaknesses of his game

200-foot guy. I am a strong skater with a good hockey IQ. I compete hard. That is the main thing that headlines my strengths: I compete. I block shots. I’ll do anything for the team to win.

Offensively, I have some more steps to unlock there. That is something I have to work on. I feel like, with my hockey ability, hockey sense, and skating, it is definitely there.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Someone I trust said we were going off the board, but I expected it to be elsewhere.

:laugh:

Oh yes, you know someone who is so tied in to the Leafs that he knows their draft strategy and he is just giving that info out to his buddies. Right.

Hoepfully it works out, they earned some leeway after Cowan, but seems more of a stay at home guy, and without stronger offensive game it's hard to be a top 4 guy.

Oh yes, can't possibly be a top four guy if you're a defensive defenceman eh?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Defensive d-man can often take 6-7 years to develop so I doubt he will ever be anything until he's 25. He won't be apart of this core group IMO. But still a good pick for the future.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Someone I trust said we were going off the board, but I expected it to be elsewhere. Hoepfully it works out, they earned some leeway after Cowan, but seems more of a stay at home guy, and without stronger offensive game it's hard to be a top 4 guy.
They took the player at the top of their board. The BPA as they saw it.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Drafting for need but this guy won't be playing any time soon
we said the same thing about Cowan last year and now some are projecting him on the roster for next season... let's see how the kid develops

Defensive d-man can often take 6-7 years to develop so I doubt he will ever be anything until he's 25. He won't be apart of this core group IMO. But still a good pick for the future.
Brock Faber says high

Reactions: lowski and horner

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
His profile reads very similarly to Brock Faber so we'll see where that goes. He has more poise with the puck and vision then what people are giving him credit for I think plus he is a plus skater, great and smart defender with a bit of an edge. Nothing not to like about this pick IMO

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
So Ben Danford it is. I do like the idea of stocking up on D prospects and right handers in particular.
I’d be fine if we doubled down on RD with the 58th pick.

Reactions: horner

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

30M Forward Skate with Puck
1 – Sam Dickinson (London Knights / OHL) — 3.902 seconds
2 – Nathan Villeneuve (Sudbury Wolves / OHL) — 3.984 seconds
3 – Jett Luchanko (Guelph Storm / OHL) — 3.985 seconds
4 – Eriks Mateiko (Saint John Sea Dogs / QMJHL) — 4.051 seconds
5 – Ben Danford (Oshawa Generals / OHL) — 4.08 seconds

30M Backwards Skate
1 – Zayne Parekh (Saginaw Spirit / OHL) — 4.442 seconds
2 – Charlie Elick (Brandon Wheat Kings / WHL) — 4.461 seconds
3 – Sam Dickinson (London Knights / OHL) — 4.482 seconds
4 – Beckett Sennecke (Oshawa Generals / OHL) — 4.614 seconds
5 – Ben Danford (Oshawa Generals / OHL) — 4.671 seconds

30M Backwards Skate with Puck
1 – Sam Dickinson (London Knights / OHL) — 4.551 seconds
2 – Zayne Parekh (Saginaw Spirit / OHL) — 4.603 seconds
3 – Beckett Sennecke (Oshawa Generals / OHL) — 4.625 seconds
3 – Jett Luchanko (Guelph Storm / OHL) — 4.625 seconds
5 – Ben Danford (Oshawa Generals / OHL) — 4.699 seconds

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
From the OHL Coaches Poll for the 23/24 season.

1000009430.jpg
1000009432.jpg
1000009434.jpg

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Type of player we need, and have needed for like 20 years. This team hasn't had a legit quality right shot dman since Kubina I don't think. Brodie was a quality left shot D that could play on the right, but otherwise we've had #5-6 guys playing in the top 4 (eg Franson, Liljegren, Holl, Polak, Schenn, Lybushkin, etc).

Who knows how he develops, but I think Wes Clark at this point has earned our trust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad