Prospect Info: [2024 - 130th] Tyler Thorpe (RW) - Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is going to be one of the most enjoyable seasons to follow in recent memory.

• NHL team can be cheered for without worrying about ruining the pick and hurting our future outlook. We will still have a high draft pick and add another great prospect to the pool. Not to mention the other picks and more we will acquire from selling.
  • We will see Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, and Beck are various times in the NHL. Maybe even Farrell, Tuch, Heineman, Xhekaj, Dobes etc.
  • Demidov in the KHL/VHL
  • Volokhin in the VHL/KHL
  • Eriksson & Kapanen in the SHL
  • Fowler & Hage in the NCAA
  • Miller & Vecvanags in the QMJHL
  • Mesar, Xhekaj, Tuch, Beck, Engstrom first year in Laval.
  • Khanin in VHL/KHL
  • Konyushkov another year in the KHL
  • Koivu in Liiga
  • Rohrer a bigger role inthe NLA
  • Thorpe and Protz in the OHL
  • Sawyer and Merrill in the BCHL

Do we really not have 1 prospect in the WHL?

That's gotta be a rarity. Not that it concerns me at all, just pretty weird.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Couple of things here.

• Coffee Crisp was a 3rd round pick. Thorpe is a 5th round pick.
  • Crisp best pre being drafted season (turned 19 at the end of the season) was 36 points in 63 games with -31. Thorpe best pre being drafted season (18 all season) is 44 points in 51 games -9.
  • Crisp is 6'2 Thorpe is 6'4.
Sorry I just had to say something :
Drafting Crisp over Duclair was pure insanity, DISGUSTING behavior.

Alright back to regularly scheduled programming.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm actually really liking this year's draft the more I read up on them. They aren't all simply intangible type picks, actually have lot of production growth and late bloomers. This guy was actually lighting it up a couple stretches during the season. If he gets consistent, will probably be one of the league's top scorers.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm actually really liking this year's draft the more I read up on them. They aren't all simply intangible type picks, actually have lot of production growth and late bloomers. This guy was actually lighting it up a couple stretches during the season. If he gets consistent, will probably be one of the league's top scorers.

I'm excited to see how this year's draftees do. As I mentioned before, I didn't know who Engstrom was when they picked him. I didn't know who Konyushkov was when they picked him. And I learned in their D+1 year that they were real good selections. I knew who Florian was only because he's Arber's brother. But I also learned in his D+1 season that there's more to his game.

I say all that to explain that I don't know who Thorpe is. I don't know about Merrill or Sawyer. I don't know about Khanin. But I'm very curious to see if they will be added to the list of the Engstroms and Konyushkovs and Volokhins. Selections I had no idea about and learned early that they were good picks, which is why I trust Bobrov/Lapointe.

Back to Thorpe since this is his thread. There is something very intriguing about a prospect who at 18 is already 6'5" and 212 lbs. It will be curious if he has a really good season if Habs sign him and bring him to the AHL next season, because he will be 20 next August, which will make him eligible to turn pro for the 2025-26 season. They did it with Xhekaj, who was a 4th round pick and only played two CHL seasons. This year will be Thorpe's third season.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
And I don't want to start anything here, but oldies like myself remember that Tim Kerr (similar size, barely average skating) who went undrafted through four years in junior still managed to park himself in front of NHL nets long enough to score a few.
Hey, nothing wrong with hoping:)
If this guy can be a net front presence with touch around the net, I'll take it. Wonder if he has any meanness in his game?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And I don't want to start anything here, but oldies like myself remember that Tim Kerr (similar size, barely average skating) who went undrafted through four years in junior still managed to park himself in front of NHL nets long enough to score a few.
Hey, nothing wrong with hoping:)
Tim Kerr was a beast.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Torpedo is going too be a nice nickname for this guy when he will score few goals on a regular basis

Reactions: bsl

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In a year that wasn't considered a deep draft, we saw teams draft kids that were some combination of late bloomers, big, and well-rounded athletes. Thorpe took a massive leap this year. Always nice to see.
Giant 19 year old playing with mostly smaller or younger players imagine he had more advantage

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Giant 19 year old playing with mostly smaller or younger players imagine he had more advantage
  • Turns 19 next month.
  • Went from 6 points in 48 games to 44 in 53.
  • The WHL isn't known for smurfs. At 6'4-6'5, it also puts him square in the middle of all the project kids that were drafted this year. That indicates there's plenty of size to be had.

I'm not suggesting he's a steal. He's got to improve his skating and agility. I'm just saying he's shown marked improvement and you can understand why he was drafted.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
  • Turns 19 next month.
  • Went from 6 points in 48 games to 44 in 53.
  • The WHL isn't known for smurfs. At 6'4-6'5, it also puts him square in the middle of all the project kids that were drafted this year. That indicates there's plenty of size to be had.

I'm not suggesting he's a steal. He's got to improve his skating and agility. I'm just saying he's shown marked improvement and you can understand why he was drafted.
After seeing how the Florian pick is turning out
Our guys definitely have benefit of the doubt still going on for them lol
Let's see how this guy does this year , should be interesting, Xhekaj's offense exploded after getting drafted, and this kid had even more goals in the Dubya last year

I had a post in this thread earlier too how much I hate people thinking this guy is some egregious overager or something lol jesus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Give me the highlights

Nowwwwwwe

giphy.gif

Hockey can't start soon enough

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He was moving very well at the prospect camp, much better than you'd expect from a guy that big. People definitely should keep an eye on the kid this season.

If a 6'5" and 212 lbs player works out for this club, it could help transform the kind of line-up Habs ice.

You have Florian who is 6'4" and over 200 lbs. Imagine have Thorpe at 6'5"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad