Prospect Info: [2024 - 102nd] Owen Protz (LD) - Brantford Bulldogs (OHL)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Needs to learn when to big hit and when to stick check because seems to get out of position looking for the hit
He has alot to learn. The promising thing is that twice a week this summer he has been working with a power skating coach. He works out 5 days a week. Once he was traded to Brantford he ended up going from 11-13 minutes of ice time to around 20.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He has alot to learn. The promising thing is that twice a week this summer he has been working with a power skating coach. He works out 5 days a week. Once he was traded to Brantford he ended up going from 11-13 minutes of ice time to around 20.

I like that he's got the raw meanness & edge to his game... That's a very hard -if not almost impossible - element to teach or coach up.

If this kid is as bright, coachable and committed to improving as he appears, he could have a very nice development curve.

The NHL will always have a spot for tough SOBs that can play, and every d corps benefits from having at least a player or two that excels at physically punishing opponents while being reliable defensively.

With our depth of d in the pipeline, he's got a few years to build up his overall game, will be an interesting prospect to follow

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like that he's got the raw meanness & edge to his game... That's a very hard -if not almost impossible - element to teach or coach up.

If this kid is as bright, coachable and committed to improving as he appears, he could have a very nice development curve.

The NHL will always have a spot for tough SOBs that can play, and every d corps benefits from having at least a player or two that excels at physically punishing opponents while being reliable defensively.

With our depth of d in the pipeline, he's got a few years to build up his overall game, will be an interesting prospect to follow

If all of Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, and Mailloux hit their ceilings, I doubt we can keep them all due to the salary cap. So definitely important to try and have dmen in the system that will be ready in 3 to 6 years.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It would be awesome to see him have a good camp and maybe sneak in a pre season game. I doubt the pre season game happens due to him recently being drafted but you never know.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
If all of Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, and Mailloux hit their ceilings, I doubt we can keep them all due to the salary cap. So definitely important to try and have dmen in the system that will be ready in 3 to 6 years.
Yeah that’s called sustained sucess

Reactions: Tyson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Struble in his first two years in the NCAA had shown more than a few flashes of some solid offensive acumen. For whatever reason that stagnated in his junior/senior years.

When I saw that, I thought there was little hope for him. I think a few people watching him were growing pretty chuffed with his defensive game if I remember correctly while his offense was declining.

Love that he’s recapturing that initial hype. Can’t wait to see what he does this year

I don’t care, I loved Crankshaft. Maybe he becomes our 7th D. Sounds like a potentially great option there
Murray had a place on a team that was bad and getting pushed around. He wasn’t going to play on a team that could win in the playoffs. He had some skills but he couldn’t keep up.

Struble is in the mix. He probably won’t beat out the competition, but you never know. He might have some growth left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad