2023 World Baseball Classic

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
can't remember any of the past WBCs being even close to as exciting as this one was
I think a large part of this has been Fox did a way better job with this. ESPN almost had contempt for it, doing shit like going on during games that maybe there should only be minor leaguers since the Americans couldn’t get to the playoff round and you had countries with almost no MLB representation do so well in the first two.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think a large part of this has been Fox did a way better job with this. ESPN almost had contempt for it, doing shit like going on during games that maybe there should only be minor leaguers since the Americans couldn’t get to the playoff round and you had countries with almost no MLB representation do so well in the first two.
09 final was a good one now that i remember it. japan vs SK

but yeah fox did a far better job than i recall ESPN doing in the past

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
09 final was a good one now that i remember it. japan vs SK

but yeah fox did a far better job than i recall ESPN doing in the past
It went to extra innings, but it fell flat because it was the third time they played and nobody knew who anyone was.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It went to extra innings, but it fell flat because it was the third time they played and nobody knew who anyone was.
there was lots of hype around darvish at the time since he was the next big japanese name to be coming over to MLB. the SK roster was pretty anonymous outside of shin soo choo

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Shohei's OPS was 1.345 and his BA was .435. The BA against him was .152.
It’s crazy how turned up the intensity levels get in international play, across sports. Always awesome to see the best of the best play up to their abilities on a big stage.

Reactions: Elvis P

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I’m glad a 2026 tournament is already scheduled. Hope it continues as an every 3 year thing and it continues to garner meaning for these players.

Congrats to Japan got nothing but respect to them and Ohtani is simply amazing.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Betts should've been bunting McNeil to 2nd base

It advances the runner into scoring position... gives Team USA 2 shots to tie the score with just a single... and most importantly... and I can't stress this enough... keeps him from hitting into a double play

Ohtani grooved 2 heaters right down the middle, and Trout missed 'em both

And the pitch to finish him off was a beauty!

Reactions: Prominence Problem

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Betts should've been bunting McNeil to 2nd base

It advances the runner into scoring position... gives Team USA 2 shots to tie the score with just a single... and most importantly... and I can't stress this enough... keeps him from hitting into a double play

Ohtani grooved 2 heaters right down the middle, and Trout missed 'em both

And the pitch to finish him off was a beauty!
I get the idea, but you’re also asking one of the game’s best hitters to do something he hasn’t done in 8 years.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Is that some World Cup wit full NHL star rosters? Or something like World Championships with some good NHL players?

The US had its top hitters just didn’t bring its top pitchers.
Cuba for the first time allowed MLB and others playing abroad that are defectors to play, but the top players refused the offer. They could’ve had top tier hitters but their pitching depth sucks, so similar to the US lol

The rest of the teams, as far as I know, fielded the best squad they could possibly assemble.

So yeah this is basically like a WC level tournament.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The US had its top hitters just didn’t bring its top pitchers.
Cuba for the first time allowed MLB and others playing abroad that are defectors to play, but the top players refused the offer. They could’ve had top tier hitters but their pitching depth sucks, so similar to the US lol

The rest of the teams, as far as I know, fielded the best squad they could possibly assemble.

So yeah this is basically like a WC level tournament.
Cuba allowed some, it was not all. They still supposedly didn’t allow anyone who ever defected during an international tournament or have been openly critical of the government.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I’m glad a 2026 tournament is already scheduled. Hope it continues as an every 3 year thing and it continues to garner meaning for these players.

Congrats to Japan got nothing but respect to them and Ohtani is simply amazing.
Why is it an even year again? I know they transitioned to the odd years in 2009 but why are they going with 2026 instead of 2027?

Also, is anyone else surprised that there still hasn’t been a court battle between the World Boxing Council and MLB for the use of the “WBC” acronym, á la World Wildlife Fund vs Vince McMahon?

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why is it an even year again? I know they transitioned to the odd years in 2009 but why are they going with 2026 instead of 2027?

Also, is anyone else surprised that there still hasn’t been a court battle between the World Boxing Council and MLB for the use of the “WBC” acronym, á la World Wildlife Fund vs Vince McMahon?
It was supposed to be in 2020 but was pushed due to Covid and then last years was the potential lockout. I am assuming the next one being in 2026 is to give enough time for the qualification tournaments.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Cuba allowed some, it was not all. They still supposedly didn’t allow anyone who ever defected during an international tournament or have been openly critical of the government.
I was not aware that they had some reservations about some players, but obviously not surprised at all if they had some players blacklisted. Typical of that regime and its policies that have screwed up Cuban baseball so bad for decades now. Sad to see.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009

originally I think it was supposed to be an every 3 year event. Then there was a gap after the second tournament for some reason I don’t remember, then covid plus other issues I’m sure created more gaps amongst the other tournaments. They’ve had these odd gaps which have discombobulated the tournament year sequences and it so happens that it’s landed now in 2023 and it seems like if they’re going to finally stay the course with the intended every 3 years, naturally 2026 is the next one and so forth.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
originally I think it was supposed to be an every 3 year event. Then there was a gap after the second tournament for some reason I don’t remember, then covid plus other issues I’m sure created more gaps amongst the other tournaments. They’ve had these odd gaps which have discombobulated the tournament year sequences and it so happens that it’s landed now in 2023 and it seems like if they’re going to finally stay the course with the intended every 3 years, naturally 2026 is the next one and so forth.
It was supposed to be on a four-year cycle, like the Olympics, but has never consistently managed to do so.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
It was supposed to be on a four-year cycle, like the Olympics, but has never consistently managed to do so.
I believe that was only proposed after the first 2.
And covid messed up that frequency and even still they’re not sure how frequent they’ll hold it as it’ll be subject to future CBA.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I believe that was only proposed after the first 2.
And covid messed up that frequency and even still they’re not sure how frequent they’ll hold it as it’ll be subject to the CBA.
My memory says that it was supposed to be a replacement for the Olympics and thus on a four year cycle. It's been a long time though, so my memory may be faulty and I can't research the original announcements right now.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
My memory says that it was supposed to be a replacement for the Olympics and thus on a four year cycle. It's been a long time though, so my memory may be faulty and I can't research the original announcements right now.
It was for sure a direct response to Olympic baseball being cancelled which was held every 4 years so you might be right that originally that was just the “unofficial” intention, but the first 2 events had a 3 year gap and I suspect it was probably because of that doubtfulness that still exists today with it where nothing is set in stone as far as the frequency of this tournament. But the only time that I know of that they officially said let’s hold it every 4 years was after the 2009 tourney. And that seemed to be the direction until covid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad