Player Discussion: 2023 Vezina Finalist Connor Hellebuyck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Detroit would have some interesting assets in a trade for Hellebuyck or Scheifele. These might include:

Axel Sandin-Pellika (RHD, #17, 2023)
Robbi Fabbri (L Forward, 2 x $4M)
Carter Mazur (R F, U Denver)
2024 2nd round pick

If possible, it would be even better to try to pry Kasper or Danielson out of the Wings, but I doubt they would be offered (unless maybe if the Jets add something good to the trade package).

The only one of those that I would find interesting is Danielson.
ASP is a RHD but a purely offensive one and probably 3 years away. Jets need a RHD who plays defense and moves the puck.
Fabbri is a 3LW.
Mazur is another LW though he shoots right. Might be near NHL ready but probably another 3rd liner. May have 2nd line upside.
A 2nd is not what I think we need in exchange for Scheif or Helle. Wouldn't turn it down of course as an add in.

Not a goalie or C in the bunch.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think the market at this point for Hellebuyck is a bit low, so the options seem to be re-sign him this summer if he's open to it, trade him for a clearance value package, or keep him to the deadline/our own rental situation.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The only one of those that I would find interesting is Danielson.
ASP is a RHD but a purely offensive one and probably 3 years away. Jets need a RHD who plays defense and moves the puck.
Fabbri is a 3LW.
Mazur is another LW though he shoots right. Might be near NHL ready but probably another 3rd liner. May have 2nd line upside.
A 2nd is not what I think we need in exchange for Scheif or Helle. Wouldn't turn it down of course as an add in.

Not a goalie or C in the bunch.
They aren't giving up Danielson.

This would be future oriented, but you could probably flip ASP to another team if you need short-term value. Mazur is their 5th ranked prospect. Berggren might be a better option.

Fabbri helps balance the cap as the Wings will need cap space (especially in 2024).

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think the market at this point for Hellebuyck is a bit low, so the options seem to be re-sign him this summer if he's open to it, trade him for a clearance value package, or keep him to the deadline/our own rental situation.
I'd take the third door, Alex.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure there is, but last report is that NJ don't like his contract demands and the Jets don't like what NJ is offering for a rental.

I am assuming Helle’s next deal is a legit stumbling block.

Reactions: Flair Hay

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Helle at 33% retained and our 1st next year for Mercer.

Scheif at 33% retained and Pionk for Swayman, Carlo and John Beecher (Lowry replacement down the road?).

Sign Tarasenko to a 5 x 7m deal.

Tarasenko Vilardi Ehlers
KC Mercer Perfetti
Iafallo Names Nino
Barron Lowry Apples
Kup/Gus

JMo Carlo
Samberg Schmidt
Dillon DD
Stanley

Swayman/LB

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They aren't giving up Danielson.

This would be future oriented, but you could probably flip ASP to another team if you need short-term value. Mazur is their 5th ranked prospect. Berggren might be a better option.

Fabbri helps balance the cap as the Wings will need cap space (especially in 2024).

That's why I don't see DRW as a likely trade partner for Hellebuyck.
Jets are not rebuilding so they don't want a futures package. That package is quantity for quality. Not what Jets need.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Scheif at 33% retained and Pionk for Swayman, Carlo and John Beecher (Lowry replacement down the road?).

Tarasenko Vilardi Ehlers
KC Mercer Perfetti
Iafallo Names Nino
Barron Lowry Apples
Kup/Gus

JMo Carlo
Samberg Schmidt
Dillon DD
Stanley

Swayman/LB

For one year of Mercer that's no shot. I'd suggest Mercer is close to untouchable even for an extended Hellebuyck. I don't think our 1st is enough of a bridge to Mercer there.

Reactions: Buffdog

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets are not rebuilding so they don't want a futures package. That package is quantity for quality. Not what Jets need.
Jets might need to take the best value, and flip future assets, as needed.

I actually don't mind a deal that is more futures-heavy for Hellebuyck, especially if Brossoit can carry a decent goaltending load. The Jets need to keep an eye on the present, but also strengthen the pipeline for the transition to the next young core.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I actually don't mind a deal that is more futures-heavy for Hellebuyck, especially if Brossoit can carry a decent goaltending load. The Jets need to keep an eye on the present, but also strengthen the pipeline for the transition to the next young core.

Brossoit is 30 and he's never played more than 24 games in a season (and he was .895 doing that). I'm not confident he can carry more than a backup role.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Brossoit is 30 and he's never played more than 24 games in a season (and he was .895 doing that). I'm not confident he can carry more than a backup role.

The Jets almost definitely wouldn't make the playoffs with Brossoit as the starter

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't disagree - but Jets seem to have no interest in a rebuild. I doubt they plan to rely on Brossoit to carry the starter's load. That is a tank move.

If they decided to go for futures they've already missed the best chance by not going for 23 first rd picks.

If they have already decided to change the plan why the emphasis on Detroit? They are more than a goalie away from contending so they don't meet Helle's requirement for extending and they can't give us the best futures package either.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Tarasenko Vilardi Ehlers
KC Mercer Perfetti
Iafallo Names Nino
Barron Lowry Apples
Kup/Gus

JMo Carlo
Samberg Schmidt
Dillon DD
Stanley

Swayman/LB

It would take more than adding Pionk to Scheifele to get that return. At least retain on Pionk. But still not enough.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets are retooling with an eye towards getting younger. IM0 Chevy will be open to a variety of trade packages if they offer value. What we have seen with Helly and Scheifele and now DeBrincet is there isn’t much of a market for players with one year of control that are in positions to get their big UFA raises. It is a tough position for a GM to give up good assets and then have to give out a bad contract to satisfy the player coming in.

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad