WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
TSN has an article with some of Masters' interview content with Wright, Othmann, Clarke, and Guenther. Focusing on the Ontario guys' history together etc. and Guenther just sort of being loaned to the team. I still don't really get why Arizona loaned Guenther, but I'm happy about it.

Most notable thing is that there won't be any cuts until after the second USports game, when all cuts will be made.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
TSN has an article with some of Masters' interview content with Wright, Othmann, Clarke, and Guenther. Focusing on the Ontario guys' history together etc. and Guenther just sort of being loaned to the team. I still don't really get why Arizona loaned Guenther, but I'm happy about it.

Most notable thing is that there won't be any cuts until after the second USports game, when all cuts will be made.
I think they must be in full out tank mode. Probably tried to lend out Keller, Chychrun, and both their goalies too. :laugh:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
These are the players that will play tomorrow meaning the others are locks

Anyone hearing anything?

Do you guys think they will be cutting lines or players ?

Because Fantilli seems to be on the outside looking in due to the players In his line

Bankier | Beck | Othmann
Fantilli | Dean | Dumais
Schaefer | Dach | Roy
Bolduc | Kidney | Greene

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
These are the players that will play tomorrow meaning the others are locks

Anyone hearing anything?

Do you guys think they will be cutting lines or players ?

Because Fantilli seems to be on the outside looking in due to the players In his line

Bankier | Beck | Othmann
Fantilli | Dean | Dumais
Schaefer | Dach | Roy
Bolduc | Kidney | Greene
How the lines look for the second game will be more more significant. From those lines, as posted by Masters, I'd say that each line has at least one player who is likely to make the team.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Could this World Juniors team genuinely be the best team we’ve had since 2005?

Tournament Point Comparison
Patrice Bergeron = Dylan Guenther (13pts)
Ryan Getzlaf = Shane Wright (12pts)
Jeff Carter = Logan Stankoven (10pts)
Sidney Crosby = Connor Bedard (9pts)
Corey Perry = Adam Fantilli (7pts)
Andrew Ladd = Joshua Roy (7pts)
Nigel Dawes = Brennan Othmann (6pts)
Mike Richards = Zach Dean (5pts)
Colin Fraser = Zack Ostapchuk (5pts)
Clarke MacArthur = Nathan Gaucher (4pts)
Anthony Stewart = Zachary Bolduc (4pts)

Kidney, Beck, Greene, Dumais, Bankier, Schaefer, Dach.

The 2005 Canadian team didn’t really have much point production except from Dion Phaneuf. This team has Brandt Clarke, Olen Zellweger, and Carson Lambos, among others.

The 2022 World Junior Winter Team was an extremely strong team too it’s too bad it was cancelled man. The Summer team was good, but it really wasn’t a real tournament.

This 2023 Team can shine especially without the pressure of Russia. It should be an easy road until the semi-finals. Some people believe USA roster is a little disappointing but I would disagree, though I think Sweden has the next strongest roster, Finland is good too. But Canada..? This will be a fun squad to watch! Connor Bedard probably could get more than 9pts too. He had 4 goals alone against Austria. Let’s see what happens!

Cuts will be made right after Mondays game? Interesting, I suppose their first game is the 19th and you’d want your squad picked a week prior.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Boo it is 2022 you can get live stream of random U11 hockey games online and they can't get a stream of this game.
You know full well that they CAN stream this game (as they’ve been doing for years), but that politics have interfered with the coverage. Hopefully by next year they don’t have to pretend to keep their distance from full coverage of this tournament. The reality is that TSN loves this sh!t as much as we do.

Reactions: novisor

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...you know there are some considerations that must be followed that limit sonevof the guys from making the team :

1.For political resons they must include some Q guys ...especially Quebec or Maritime franco players.
It will never be an alk "English" team.

2.Returing vets rarely get cut .. So consider alk such as "locks"..

3.They probably do not want to overload the prospects draftees of any 1 NHL team..

So considering all of this...if the 3 Blackhawks dmen (Korchinski i,Del Mastro and Allan all make the team as expected it probably means Cokton Dach and Ryan Greene have virtually no chance of making the team..

2 of Dumais or Roy or Bolduc probably check the Q -franco boxes for 2 spots among the forwards..

If they feel the team needs 1more big body winger then maybe Schaefer or Dach makes the team...maybe Dach has the advantage in that case because he also can play both LW and C..

Ryan Greene would have to be sensational at camp to make the team.p

But as I said....I doubt there will be 4 Blackhawks draftees on this team let alone all 5 invited...My best guess is only the 3 Blackhawks dmen prospects make this team.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Well...you know there are some considerations that must be followed that limit sonevof the guys from making the team :

1.For political resons they must include some Q guys ...especially Quebec or Maritime franco players.
It will never be an alk "English" team.

2.Returing vets rarely get cut .. So consider alk such as "locks"..

3.They probably do not want to overload the prospects draftees of any 1 NHL team..

So considering all of this...if the 3 Blackhawks dmen (Korchinski i,Del Mastro and Allan all make the team as expected it probably means Cokton Dach and Ryan Greene have virtually no chance of making the team..

2 of Dumais or Roy or Bolduc probably check the Q -franco boxes for 2 spots among the forwards..

If they feel the team needs 1more big body winger then maybe Schaefer or Dach makes the team...maybe Dach has the advantage in that case because he also can play both LW and C..

Ryan Greene would have to be sensational at camp to make the team.p

But as I said....I doubt there will be 4 Blackhawks draftees on this team let alone all 5 invited...My best guess is only the 3 Blackhawks dmen prospects make this team.

That post :huh:

Of course, Roy didn't deserve his spot last year, so wouldn't Dumais and/or Bolduc if they make it. They're only invited because you know french and politics. :skeptic:

FYI, Roy and Gaucher already check these boxes of yours as returnees and french speaking players.

Last edited:

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I think they must be in full out tank mode. Probably tried to lend out Keller, Chychrun, and both their goalies too. :laugh:

Tourigny said on Montreal Radio that they want Guenther to have a opportunity to win. It's rare in Hockey to have that expectation. Want him to be the leader as well

It was the decision of the GM but Tourigny agreed 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad