2023 Tank Thread (Mod post Page 60)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Since it seems the Ducks will likely finish bottom 5 this year, I figured we should have a thread for discussing the implications of where the f***s will finish in the standings. As well as what factors could affect where they finish.

Tonight was interesting as all bottom 5 teams earned 2 points sans the Ducks and the Hawks.

Hey Folks,

Want to clear some of the air here, Tank talk is not an issue, please talk tank to your heart’s content here, totally understand how critical it is for that Future Potential Top pick. The issue is posting in the GDT, like you want the team to lose or make posts that you are angry they are winning or won the game, or bashing the team for not tanking.

The main reason is, to respect your fellow members. The GDT is about discussion of the game on a live basis and then post game discussion and opinions. A lot of fans are not rooting for the team to lose, and everyone has their views and opinions towards tanking, and may not want to discuss tanking in the GDT

If you guys have any concerns, feel free to PM me or another mod, and would be happy to explain more in detail.

Thanks!

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our goal differential is twice as bad as San Jose's. It is honestly amazing we're only 5 points worse than them. There has definitely been some luck involved in us having the amount of points we do.

Luckily, we don't play them again head to head and hold the tie breaker on them

The team overachieves. I find when a team consistently overachieves they consistently improve their luck.

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Sharks currently scoreless at home with Seattle at the end of the first in their own afternoon game

San Jose scores 3 in the second half of the middle period and will take a 3-0 lead to the locker room after 2. But given the Sharks propensity to blow leads, I remain cautious.

EDIT: it should be noted as well that this impressive performance is without Timo Meier and Tomas Hertl. Pretty impressive

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84 and Static

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Unless EK is dealt, I don’t see San Jose finishing worse than us. To me the team that’s most likely to fall under us is easily Chicago

I tend to agree (though San Jose has blown a ton of winnable games this year), but I'm more focused on them having the lowest odds possible at Bedard, so most of my Sharks energy is if they can leapfrog some of the other contenders around their range (Vancouver/Arizona/Montreal, maybe even St. Louis as well if they start to fall apart after selling).

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Unless EK is dealt, I don’t see San Jose finishing worse than us. To me the team that’s most likely to fall under us is easily Chicago
columbus is the team i worry about most. they are truly awful
Huh? How is having the worst goal differential “overachieving?” Overachieving implies having better results than expected. Ducks have the worst results in the NHL.
they've overachieved by managing to stage late game comebacks and get games into OT. i will give them credit for not giving up on games

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Huh? How is having the worst goal differential “overachieving?” Overachieving implies having better results than expected. Ducks have the worst results in the NHL.

- Chicago has 41 points with 12 regulation wins in 55 games.
- Columbus has 41 points with 13 regulation games in 57 games.
- Anaheim has 41 points with 7 regulation wins in 57 games.

Anaheim is the only team without double digit regulation wins. It has the worst goals allowed in the league, second worst offense in the league, and worst goal differential in the league. Yet there they are tied in points with Chicago and Columbus. It appears the Ducks have fulfilled your requirements of overachieving, having better results than expected.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
- Chicago has 41 points with 12 regulation wins in 55 games.
- Columbus has 41 points with 13 regulation games in 57 games.
- Anaheim has 41 points with 7 regulation wins in 57 games.

Anaheim is the only team without double digit regulation wins. It has the worst goals allowed in the league, second worst offense in the league, and worst goal differential in the league. Yet there they are tied in points with Chicago and Columbus. It appears the Ducks have fulfilled your requirements of overachieving, having better results than expected.
Overachieving as far as points are concerned, not as far as on ice play.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Honest question - did you not look at the defensive corps before the season and think “who is going to play defense”? When Vaakanainen went down and they panic signed Beaulieu, did you think “this is fine”? When Drysdale went down, did you nit ask yourself “who the hell on this defense is actually going to play defense?”?

I expected a bottom 5 finish when Verbeek only added Strome and Vatrano. I expected bottom 3 when Drysdale went down. We replaced Lindholm, Manson, Getzlaf, Rakell, and Deslauriers with Klingberg, Beaulieu, Strome, Vatrano, Leason, and McTavish. 100% of those changes are downgrades.

Where did you expect the team to finish after July 1st, then each injury? Honest question, not trolling.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Honest question - did you not look at the defensive corps before the season and think “who is going to play defense”? When Vaakanainen went down and they panic signed Beaulieu, did you think “this is fine”? When Drysdale went down, did you nit ask yourself “who the hell on this defense is actually going to play defense?”?

I expected a bottom 5 finish when Verbeek only added Strome and Vatrano. I expected bottom 3 when Drysdale went down. We replaced Lindholm, Manson, Getzlaf, Rakell, and Deslauriers with Klingberg, Beaulieu, Strome, Vatrano, Leason, and McTavish. 100% of those changes are downgrades.

Where did you expect the team to finish after July 1st, then each injury? Honest question, not trolling.

I expected the D to be better than it has been - because of Drysdale (who I expected to be much improved and pretty solid as a second pairing guy) and I expected Klingberg to be better than he has been. Kulikov is a good bottom pair guy as well (playing too high in the Ducks line up). I figured on of Vak or Hellison could also contribute.

But losing Drysdale was a killer.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I expected the D to be better than it has been - because of Drysdale (who I expected to be much improved and pretty solid as a second pairing guy) and I expected Klingberg to be better than he has been. Kulikov is a good bottom pair guy as well (playing too high in the Ducks line up). I figured on of Vak or Hellison could also contribute.

But losing Drysdale was a killer.
I was concerned that we had no top pairing, because Klingberg needs a defensive partner to cover for him, and…so does Fowler. There was absolutely nobody to clear the crease. Vaakanainen going down in preseason was bad, and unfortunate, because he was looking good. Drysdale going down left us IMO with two 2-3’s who needed exactly the same type of partner, a decent 5-6 in Kulikov, a 6 in need of a faster physical partner in Shattenkirk, and a bunch of 7-9D. I think we have hands down the worst defensive group in the league. We have players who could all mostly contribute on a team playing on the proper pairing with a proper partner, but I don’t thing any of them are on the proper pairings with the proper partners.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I predicted we would be a shit team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It’s time to hold him out for a trade IMO. I can’t imagine the doom and gloom around here if he got hurt in the next 4 games
I'm going to guess you can only do that if there are enough teams showing interest already. Hard to know what PV is getting in the way of calls. We might just be best served by "ride him hard and put him away wet", hoping for the hot streak to continue. Who knows.

Reactions: AngelDuck

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
C9424D67-CB05-4AFD-BDB8-4F32AE32016F.gif

Everyone on team tank right now that the ducks are last

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I expected the team to be bad, but not this bad. I thought the FA signings were window dressing, mainly just to get to the cap floor. When Verbeek didn't resign Lindholm and extended Eakins, I felt like tanking was the plan. Vegas had Ducks over/under at 78.5 and we are pacing for 59. It's not just where Ducks are in the standings, it's how they look on the ice. Disorganized, poor decisions, horrible D zone coverage. You don't need talented players to play the game smartly. Drysdale's injury certainly hurt, but no one should expect an NHL team to go through a season completely unscathed.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad