Red Sox/MLB 2023 Spring Training Begins- Forbes says Boston Red Sox are worth $4.5 billion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Nah I'll take the over. 78 wins baby! I root for the team to win games. Sorta the whole point.
Glad to hear that

I would hedge at 83-84

They got seems like 2 things going for them this season

1. 24 less games in division against maybe
3 top 10 teams and the Orioles if Grayson Rodriguez comes out ablazing could surprise

2. A shit load of money and media that will be on them

They are hanging above 500 they likely add

I would set line at 82.5

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Glad to hear that

I would hedge at 83-84

They got seems like 2 things going for them this season

1. 24 less games in division against maybe
3 top 10 teams and the Orioles if Grayson Rodriguez comes out ablazing could surprise

2. A shit load of money and media that will be on them

They are hanging above 500 they likely add

I would set line at 82.5

The difficulty with betting over/under is that as you say, if they're in the race by late July they probably buy in at the deadline and go over, and if they're out of it they pack it in and go under. But if they play 162 games with the roster as projected in a total vacuum with no knowledge of where they are vis-a-vis the rest of the division or any outside pressure from the media, I'd peg them optimistically at 85 wins. Anywhere between 82-85 I think.

Reactions: DKH

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
FWIW, Fangraphs projects the Red Sox to finish 82-80, but suggests that their roster is among the most "volatile" in the league, leaving open a wide range of possible outcomes.

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Keith
Depends on the injury. I actually think they've got a decent amount of pitching depth at the moment, for example.
they got depth all over not to be confused with stars

OF - Verdugo can play RF/LF
Refsnyder can play all 3

Duval is legit plus RF and good CF
Hernandez plays CF
Yoshida on turf every game so dictates playing deep and conservative but his reports per Cora of his bud who plays with him are fundamentally good

No more Duran or even Verdugo nightmare in center - they got to go thru 3 guys to get to him

No more Franchie Cordero experiment

This isn’t Tampa where know one cares or is watching

Bloom hasn’t put together Rice-Lynn- Evans but as far as OF he’s got

1. Capable major leaguers
2. Has players who can play defense
3. Legit flexibility

He had a decent acceptable plan out there for this season - last season was a cluster F he probably got to complacenct after 2021 and tried to do the Tampa card shuffle

I’m confident he learned by trial and certainly error

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My postulation is that this year is going to serve as a massive test of Alex Cora's managerial ability. This is the most flexible and versatile roster he's ever had. That doesn't mean it's the best roster he's had, just when he had the 2018 team it was basically the same 9 starters in the same 9 positions all year, with some variations when they'd shuffle Nunez or Holt around to spell the starters. But this year, it's a lot of jelly to mold. He can craft a different defensive lineup per day depending on the matchup, fatigue management, playing the hot hand, etc. or letting the pieces all fall into their optimal defensive alignment

You could have Kike at SS and Duval in CF. Or maybe Mondesi is on a hot streak and you want him in the lineup, then Kike can play CF. If Raffy needs a break, you can DH him and put Turner at 3rd. Or DH Yoshida and have Turner play 1B to give Casas a night off. Or maybe Dalbec is on one of his hot streaks but you want to keep Casas in the lineup, you can DH him or you could put Turner or Dalbec at 2nd. If Duval flops, then you can move Verdugo over and put Refsnyder in right, etc. And Arroyo can play basically every position on the diamond except C.

I think Cora's management could make a difference between them being a 78 win team and an 88 win team depending on whether he makes the right moves or not. All I know is that it's going to be a lot more intellectually stimulating to follow the team this year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
We’ll probably see a different lineup most days. I’ve probably already said this but you could tell me this team wins 75 games or you can tell it wins 90 games- neither would surprise me. I tend to hammer OVER 77.5 tho

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Padres seem to be run by a 15 year old

6 years to Darvish wtf

I thought Bogaerts was bad

Is the owner paying attention ?

Does he think the movie Don’t Look Up is real

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Padres seem to be run by a 15 year old

6 years to Darvish wtf

I thought Bogaerts was bad

Is the owner paying attention ?

Does he think the movie Don’t Look Up is real
great time to be a Padres fan with owners who care about winning. Red Sox FO are light years from that. Darvish also was 16-8 last year with an ERA near 3

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
great time to be a Padres fan with owners who care about winning. Red Sox FO are light years from that. Darvish also was 16-8 last year with an ERA near 3
He’s my Ace on my APBA team this season but paying him $108 M from age 36-43 yikes

I’ll be rooting for him

Attachments

• 125CAB57-EF1A-402E-BE81-BC1F83A66F75.jpeg
    125CAB57-EF1A-402E-BE81-BC1F83A66F75.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: KrejciMVP

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pitchers and catchers report today and nobody in New England cares.

Mets owner Steve Cohen has set the bar with a ridiculous payroll and yet keeping prices at Citi Field reasonable.

:banghead:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Pitchers and catchers report today and nobody in New England cares.

Mets owner Steve Cohen has set the bar with a ridiculous payroll and yet keeping prices at Citi Field reasonable.

:banghead:

To be fair, we've got teams with the best record in the NHL and NBA. If everything goes well, no one will care about the Red Sox until June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad