Red Sox/MLB 2023 Spring Training Begins- Forbes says Boston Red Sox are worth $4.5 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Looking into getting tickets to a game to take my nephew who hasnt ever been. Are monster seats worth it?

It's all based on your budget. I did Standing Room Only (SRO) and it was great so I assume seats are even better. Beautiful view. Concessions aren't as long and bathrooms are a quick walk away.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
just realized Keith law can’t even spell Niko Kavadas correctly yet a segment of the fan base wants to put all their eggs into his basket…..ok
I don't know who is putting all their eggs in his basket. I asked this before, have other outlets released their preseason rankings? Nobody should be faulted for citing Keith Law. You can't say he's a respected evaluator and then clown him for this. It's a prospect ranking. Every prospect ranking is a crapshoot. You can disagree and think he'll be proven wrong but it's not some great offense that he has a different opinion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looking into getting tickets to a game to take my nephew who hasnt ever been. Are monster seats worth it?
Did it once. Watched Tony Batista hit a bomb over me and watched them lose to the orioles. Was still pretty awesome. Would recommend, but it won’t be cheap (not that Fenway ever is)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Dodgers announced they're retiring Fernando Valenzuela's number this year. And it stunned me to find out he hadn't already been retired considering no one has worn #34 since he left, he's iconic among the large Latino fanbase, and he's worked for the organization for a long time as a Spanish language color commentator. I would've thought they'd have retired his number decades ago.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
just realized Keith law can’t even spell Niko Kavadas correctly yet a segment of the fan base wants to put all their eggs into his basket…..ok
I mean he's worth paying attention to in that I'm sure he puts a lot of time and effort into his job, and he's actually worked for an MLB team in the past. And I certainly wouldn't dismiss him over a spelling mistake.

That said, I wasn't terribly impressed with his Top 20 Sox Prospects list.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean he's worth paying attention to in that I'm sure he puts a lot of time and effort into his job, and he's actually worked for an MLB team in the past. And I certainly wouldn't dismiss him over a spelling mistake.

That said, I wasn't terribly impressed with his Top 20 Sox Prospects list.
He went over the top with his hate of the Nick Yorke pick then tried to walk it back when Yorke raked and act like that didn’t happen, haven’t cared about him since

I’ve read that he even mentioned Cam Cannon in the article? That can’t possibly be true. Bizarre if so. Guys not even in the org anymore and hasn’t been a relevant prospect since pretty much immediately after DD picked him

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He went over the top with his hate of the Nick Yorke pick then tried to walk it back when Yorke raked and act like that didn’t happen, haven’t cared about him since

I’ve read that he even mentioned Cam Cannon in the article? That can’t possibly be true. Bizarre if so. Guys not even in the org anymore and hasn’t been a relevant prospect since pretty much immediately after DD picked him

Bet he’s a Yankees fan.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

He mentioned Cannon as a "Fallen Prospect", which I guess is technically true.

And I don't think it's a secret any more that Law loves athleticism. Nick Yorke is not super athletic. I'm not shocked that he's down on Yorke, although I concede that his criticism was probably over the top. That said, Nick Yorke did a fine job of giving him plenty of ammunition for his skepticism last season.

It's fine to disagree with him - as I said, I didn't care for his Top 20 Sox Prospects list. And given that he's got to keep tabs on 30 farm systems instead of just one, I wouldn't expect him to publish a prospect list that has a great deal of meaning. But I just think it's a mistake to dismiss his opinion entirely.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I've always wanted to see a game above the monster, seeing a ball sky over my head while that high up would be pretty sweet.

My recent strat for buying tickets has been getting seats in the 500 level but directly behind home plate. I'm not sure how this would translate to Fenway but it's the best combination of price and quality that I've found. Also, you'll think every flyball is a homerun, takes a few innings to get used to.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Dodgers announced they're retiring Fernando Valenzuela's number this year. And it stunned me to find out he hadn't already been retired considering no one has worn #34 since he left, he's iconic among the large Latino fanbase, and he's worked for the organization for a long time as a Spanish language color commentator. I would've thought they'd have retired his number decades ago.

Think it's all Latino fans, not just the large ones.

Saw him pitch against the Expos in Olympic Stadium. Andre Dawson homered off him, but Fernando went the distance, won 4-3 and struck out the side in the 9th.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I actually kind of like our roster its about time we signed a Japanese position player and like the IF options I am a huge Arroyo fan hes my dude so with Devers and Casas and Story thats the top 4 and Mondesi and Turner are interesting new adds.

Just wish we picked up a real catcher Kellen Winslow Jr and Wong don't do it for me.

Paxson and Kluber I'm optimistic on so if Bello puts it together the starters might be good. (Until Sale picks a fight with a wall or hits 100 innings and needs to be shut down.)

Meh on the bullpen. Might be what sinks us.

The bullpen is deep. Not seeing how that sinks us right now.

I think the catching will sort itself out between McGuire, Wong and Alfaro.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I don't understand the trolling part of this. Trolling Chaim Bloom or Red Sox ownership isn't allowed? But overwhelming praise is?
We get it you can’t stand Bloom or the Red Sox (yawn)

Go to encore sports book grab a cheeseburger next door - put money on the Sox to go under 77.5 and show us your ticket

I’m going over on them and under on the Dodgers

AlEast before camp
Yankees
Toronto
Tampa
Baltimore
Sox

NHL comps
Yankees - Bruins
Toronto - Leafs (that was easy)
Tampa - Penguins
Baltimore - Buffalo
Red Sox- Predators

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Positional AL East ranks CF

1. Cedric Mullins Baltimore
2. Kike Hernandez/Duvall Red Sox
3. Harrison Bader Yankees
4. Kevin Kiermaier Toronto
5. Jose Siri Tampa

Mullins is pretty dynamic although had a huge drop in power from 30 to 16 HR but still strong defensive metrics and stole over 30 bases. Fences moved back took its toll

Siri has top 3 sprint spreed in game last season and has power to center - tools are there. Margot can move over. Siri hasn’t shown he can consistently hit at this level - but Rays will figure out how to maximize his skills

Bader seems made for Yankees -outstanding fielder Defensive Runs Saved are strong - doesn’t hit for average to date but can hit double digit homers and appears to love stage and I believe grew up a Yankees fan. Looks good in uniform

Kiermaier is Foligno and said recently on a zoom on Basebsll Tonight he’s feeling great and healthy - he hits 250 plays 130 games and usual defense Toronto’s happy

Duvall and Hernandez probsbly share - both are olus defenders - ideally Kike in CF and Duvall in right is outstanding-defense/ Kike at SS and Duvall in CF probably what we see

Rafaela could be here second half - better strike zone control he’s a future starter in CF

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Any time you can give a soon-to-be 37-year old starting pitcher a six-year contract extension, you can't pass up that opportunity.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Any time you can give a soon-to-be 37-year old starting pitcher a six-year contract extension, you can't pass up that opportunity.

Peter Seidler is basically going full Steve Cohen. Cost-certainty be damned, he wants the division title. And hell, with Soto and Tatis in the fold, the Padres have the chance to become a massive brand over the next decade, so why not pad it out by throwing extra money at Bogaerts and Darvish.

Also, something I didn't know until now: Seidler is actually Walter O'Malley's grandson. That adds some spice to the Padre-Dodger arms race.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
We get it you can’t stand Bloom or the Red Sox (yawn)

Go to encore sports book grab a cheeseburger next door - put money on the Sox to go under 77.5 and show us your ticket

I’m going over on them and under on the Dodgers

AlEast before camp
Yankees
Toronto
Tampa
Baltimore
Sox

NHL comps
Yankees - Bruins
Toronto - Leafs (that was easy)
Tampa - Penguins
Baltimore - Buffalo
Red Sox- Predators
Nah I'll take the over. 78 wins baby! I root for the team to win games. Sorta the whole point.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Nah I'll take the over. 78 wins baby! I root for the team to win games. Sorta the whole point.
At the end of the day water will find it's level. Given the reaction during the winter classic and fan event, bloom won't survive a 78 year season as GM, this is his make or break year.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
At the end of the day water will find it's level. Given the reaction during the winter classic and fan event, bloom won't survive a 78 year season as GM, this is his make or break year.
Certainly should be.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Yorke didn't have a great year in high A last season, Did very well in winter ball.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yorke didn't have a great year in high A last season, Did very well in winter ball.
Yeah he played through a bunch of injuries and then got healthy and got his swing back to where it was. Wouldn’t surprise me if he reestablished himself next year

Reactions: LouJersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad