Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Oh, they are shedding salary and if the player if 30 or over all the better

They are hoping to replicate the President Trophy 2021 122 point Panthers who snuck in the following year

They should be significantly better in 2024-25 for a number of different reasons

Montgomery team now with vets leaving and his calling card is teaching & developing while building a positive locker room

They hired him for what is about to happen

This is exactly it
Wish they would have kept Bruce and extra yr then hire him :sarcasm:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Zacha and Coyle as 1-2 down the middle terrifies me. Zacha is a solid #2, but yeah, that ain't nice.
Like the Patriots at Quarterback from 1993-2019 with Bledsoe and Brady, the Bruins have had the great fortune of the likes of Bergeron, Savard, Krejci as their top 2 centers for a run dating back to 2006-07.

They’ve had the luxury of guys like Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak on team friendly deals.

They’ve retained their starts in McAvoy and Pastrnak, but at pretty close to fair market deals.

The check came due, folks.

Who are you going to get via free agency or trade? What do you have of value to bring in a true number one center via a deal?

They hit the jackpot with the Senators choosing Redden over Chara in 2006. Savard fell into their laps, but he was sort of one dimensional with Atlanta.

You’re not getting Marc Savard in free agency this time around to replace Thornton.

So what do you do? You’re stuck.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I expect massive pain going forward. But it's life. While we'd all rather watch a winning team than a losing team, gotta say I remember being on message boards for the Dave Lewis era and in some ways it was some pretty fun memories, the gallows humor to get through it, the fans who survived that became closer-knit compared to the big bandwagon boom during the 2009-2014 years.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Like the Patriots at Quarterback from 1993-2019 with Bledsoe and Brady, the Bruins have had the great fortune of the likes of Bergeron, Savard, Krejci as their top 2 centers for a run dating back to 2006-07.

They’ve had the luxury of guys like Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak on team friendly deals.

They’ve retained their starts in McAvoy and Pastrnak, but at pretty close to fair market deals.

The check came due, folks.

Who are you going to get via free agency or trade? What do you have of value to bring in a true number one center via a deal?

They hit the jackpot with the Senators choosing Redden over Chara in 2006. Savard fell into their laps, but he was sort of one dimensional with Atlanta.

You’re not getting Marc Savard in free agency this time around to replace Thornton.

So what do you do? You’re stuck.
Change that to "You suck" ....not you personally lol...the Bruins next year

Reactions: Gordoff

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I expect massive pain going forward. But it's life. While we'd all rather watch a winning team than a losing team, gotta say I remember being on message boards for the Dave Lewis era and in some ways it was some pretty fun memories, the gallows humor to get through it, the fans who survived that became closer-knit compared to the big bandwagon boom during the 2009-2014 years.
I had a blast the Dave Lewis year.

Went to the opener against Calgary for Chara’s first game.

Went to a bunch of games that season.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I must have met 50 members here at games because few cared, building was half empty and you could afford tickets

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Like I said, they hit the jackpot with Savard last time the Bruins dipped into free agency to fill a first line center void.

Last time the Bruins scored a second line center in free agency?
1687903278104.jpeg

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I would be greatly surprised at this point if they do not trade Ullmark. They do not need and cannot afford both Swayman and Linus. He is their best chip, and will bring the best return. Cap relief and, likely, draft replenishment.

At first I thought this was nuts. But thinking about it over the last while, it makes the most sense. If you have 1 and 1A, but choose one or the other when the playoffs commence, what's the point? You're not only carrying a luxury but his five million contract.
The counter to that is HelleBuyck, Gibson, Varly, etc are available and Ullmark's value may not be much, even after winning the Vezina. Furthermore,two solid goalies may be the only thing keeping the team modestly competitive. Best year I have seen for goalies in at least twenty years.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wish they would have kept Bruce and extra yr then hire him :sarcasm:
Bruce is a veterans coach - he was great when Chara & Krug ran that room

Bruce would lose his shit coaching this years team

It’s like many here who raised kids in their 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s and after 50 want no part of babies up to teens unless they are grandchildren

Tenkrat, Zinovjev, the Dave Lewis Diary.

Truly it was the best of times, it was the worst of times
Ha ha so well said. Love it

Reactions: 22Brad Park

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wow, I would have thought MB would have fetched at least a 4th round pick.

I'm surprised they got anything. Blackwood has a .897 SV% with a -22.1 GSAA over the last 3 seasons. He had a QO of $3.4 million (which he wasn't worth). He was likely going to not get a QO and become a UFA.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Like I said, they hit the jackpot with Savard last time the Bruins dipped into free agency to fill a first line center void.

Last time the Bruins scored a second line center in free agency?
View attachment 722231
Zhamnov was emblematic of MOC's lack of plans during the 2005 offseason. They wanted Modano. They put all their eggs int he Modano basket, brought him here, wined and dined him, while every other center went off the market, then after stringing it along for a few days, Modano goes back to Dallas, leaving the Bruins completely screwed. At that point Zhamnov was the only center left and MOC panicked and gave him a silly contract.

But they hit the jackpot when he broke his ankle in a million pieces and had to retire since it not only cleared the cap space and a roster spot going forward, but it allowed them to drop further in the standings that year and draft Kessel (and we also were fantastically lucky to get the #5 pick because Mark Hartigan of the Columbus Blue Jackets scored a last-second goal to send their meaningless game 82 into OT and give them the point to leapfrog the B's in the standings).

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Zhamnov was emblematic of MOC's lack of plans during the 2005 offseason. They wanted Modano. They put all their eggs int he Modano basket, brought him here, wined and dined him, while every other center went off the market, then after stringing it along for a few days, Modano goes back to Dallas, leaving the Bruins completely screwed. At that point Zhamnov was the only center left and MOC panicked and gave him a silly contract.

But they hit the jackpot when he broke his ankle in a million pieces and had to retire since it not only cleared the cap space and a roster spot going forward, but it allowed them to drop further in the standings that year and draft Kessel (and we also were fantastically lucky to get the #5 pick because Mark Hartigan of the Columbus Blue Jackets scored a last-second goal to send their meaningless game 82 into OT and give them the point to leapfrog the B's in the standings).
Brad Isbister….. Dave Scatchard

(Shiver)

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
We should target Jonathan Drouin as a UFA, give him a 1M " show me" contract. He has a ton of skill, just hasn't put it altogether yet.
Domi would be a nice pickup as well. He played really well for the Stars in the playoffs. Would he sign for somewhere around 3M?
If Bergy comes back at the same deal as last year, you can move Zacha back to the wing.

Marchand Bergy JDB
Zacha Domi Pasta
Frederic Coyle ??
Lauko Drouin Greer

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
We should target Jonathan Drouin as a UFA, give him a 1M " show me" contract. He has a ton of skill, just hasn't put it altogether yet.
Domi would be a nice pickup as well. He played really well for the Stars in the playoffs. Would he sign for somewhere around 3M?
If Bergy comes back at the same deal as last year, you can move Zacha back to the wing.

Marchand Bergy JDB
Zacha Domi Pasta
Frederic Coyle ??
Lauko Drouin Greer
Drouin has been in the league for 9 seasons....aside from a couple decent years...I'm not holding out on him "putting it together."

Reactions: bbfan419

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Assuming we are priced out - but Ryan Graves seems to be available.

Top four of

Lindholm - McAvoy
Graves - Carlo

Would be pretty nice
That pairing should probably be illegal, as it would lead to several board members here having their heads explode, witnessing Carlos many perceived sins and Graves's stupidity concurrently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad