GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Well I do appreciate him letting the size thing go to take a couple offensive d in Cagnoni and Havelid

And Smith isn’t huge or anything. To be fair, we have Eklund, Guschin, Havelid, Bordeleau, Cagnoni, and an average sized Smith - so it doesn’t hurt to surround those guys with giants, I guess.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hmm, okay, then Grier lied about drafting a goalie. Unless they are going to acquire one of these remaining picks.
Maybe he planned on one in 4 but there was a run. I still think Fowler was the guy.

Feels like the sharks do the 7th for a next year 7th every year, I wonder if that will ever end or if it’s a perpetual 7th
I don’t mind it if there’s always someone they have their eye on. Keep it in the back pocket if not.

Hey. I find this funny.

The smallest guys we drafted were our two decencemen.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
I like Halttunen, Cagnoni and Landen picks. I hope Cagnoni can become our Lane Hutson.
I don`t understand why MG picked #71 Svoboda so high, but probably he traded those picks not for Svoboda? Maybe he wanted to pick Fowler, but Montreal did it right before us with their 69th pick? Just 2 picks before us. Fowler will study in Boston College with Smith.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Overhead shot of the draft table with everyone looking through paperwork, having discussions, etc while Marleau is sitting awkwardly staring into space lmao
“I could probably beat out all these guys if I wanted to. Wait, do I???”

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Overall pretty happy with the draft. Smith and Musty are instantly 2 of our top 3 prospects. Halttunen probably wasn’t BPA but also wasn’t a big reach at all and I like his skill. Svoboda was a bad pick. Especially considering the trade up. Cagnoni was a great pick though. Landen was fine. It’s nice to have a RHD that’s just steady in the system. Seems like they are all offensive. Pohlkamp and Klee both weren’t good picks but late so whatever. Rimashevskiy I like a lot though. He definitely is a bit of a floater right now but dude is very skilled offensively. If they can get him engaged, could end up being a steal.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Sounds like a big kid, poor skater, good offensive instincts, but a long way to develop

We struggled to evaluate Yegor Rimashevsky this season, mostly because
his low motor masked his offensive skill. He was rarely fully engaged in
any of our viewings, especially in the defensive zone.
To say he cheated for offence would be an understatement. Rima￾shevsky often started his course toward the opposition’s end before his
team had even regained possession of the puck. His early breakouts
were a way for him to manage his main weakness, his skating ability.
Rimashevsky needed to move ahead of the play to create rush-scoring
chances for himself.
When he couldn’t get a momentum advantage, he relied on his off-puck
instincts, one of the more developed aspects of his game. Capable of
anticipating the flow of the play and positioning himself well to support
it, he got many shooting chances from the slot this season, and at his
best, he also turned into a decent playmaker himself.
“He struck me as a purely off-the-puck, one-touch shooter for a while,
but then he switched gears and showed that there are some good
playmaking habits hidden in his game,” Russian regional scout Dylan
Griffing wrote. “He is constantly putting pucks toward high-danger areas
and was pretty accurate in doing so.”
To put himself on an NHL track, Rimashevsky will have to improve his
skating and handling skills and his overall effort and pace of play
I have no idea why you draft someone with a review like this lol. Feels like they reviewed a beer leaguer.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Overhead shot of the draft table with everyone looking through paperwork, having discussions, etc while Marleau is sitting awkwardly staring into space lmao
All the nerds with their math and forMs don't know what they're doing. Patt knows you just gotta feel whether you're making the right pick. It should be as natural as firing a puck into the goalie's chest.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Sounds like a big kid, poor skater, good offensive instincts, but a long way to develop

We struggled to evaluate Yegor Rimashevsky this season, mostly because
his low motor masked his offensive skill. He was rarely fully engaged in
any of our viewings, especially in the defensive zone.
To say he cheated for offence would be an understatement. Rima￾shevsky often started his course toward the opposition’s end before his
team had even regained possession of the puck. His early breakouts
were a way for him to manage his main weakness, his skating ability.
Rimashevsky needed to move ahead of the play to create rush-scoring
chances for himself.
When he couldn’t get a momentum advantage, he relied on his off-puck
instincts, one of the more developed aspects of his game. Capable of
anticipating the flow of the play and positioning himself well to support
it, he got many shooting chances from the slot this season, and at his
best, he also turned into a decent playmaker himself.
“He struck me as a purely off-the-puck, one-touch shooter for a while,
but then he switched gears and showed that there are some good
playmaking habits hidden in his game,” Russian regional scout Dylan
Griffing wrote. “He is constantly putting pucks toward high-danger areas
and was pretty accurate in doing so.”
To put himself on an NHL track, Rimashevsky will have to improve his
skating and handling skills and his overall effort and pace of play
Funny how different analysis can be on these guys. Pronman actually said, "His work ethic is good enough. He can kill penalties and gives a strong enough effort to be a bottom six wing in the NHL." Just a small difference in perspective, lol.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Really? Smith has to be #1, but Eklund, Bystedt, and Mukhamadullin should be ahead of Musty right now, no?
I don’t think so. I’m also VERY high on Musty. I have Musty easily over Shakir. Bystedt isn’t far behind Musty but I have Musty’s ceiling a clear step higher than Bystedt’s. My top 5 are Smith, Eklund, Musty, Bystedt, Shakir right now. I also have Thrun right there if we are considering him a prospect.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Funny how different analysis can be on these guys. Pronman actually said, "His work ethic is good enough. He can kill penalties and gives a strong enough effort to be a bottom six wing in the NHL." Just a small difference in perspective, lol.
I’ll be honest Pronman isn’t very good. There’s been a few of his takes that make me wonder if we saw the same guy. Now maybe we didn’t or maybe I’m wrong for sure. But like Rimashevskiy definitely is a bit of a floater.

Reactions: themelkman

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
i don't know if it's saying he's a lazy cheater per say. it seems like it's saying that his skating is such a problem right now, he really has to give up a lot to do anything offensively. so i think there's upside there but it's counting on a lot

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't know how to feel about this draft. If one of them turns into the next Joe Pavelski, I will be happy. If we get like 3 or 4 players who are NHL caliber players, I think that could be a great draft. I would like to see the transition from the old to the young happen sooner rather than later (Even though I know they are hindered by contracts).

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad