GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
There's a lot of interesting guys at this point in the draft.

As always, lots of talent but each player has a clear flaw. Dragicevic, Cristall, Hrabal, Heidt look to have plenty of upside, but all three have reasonably high bust upside as well. Feel like in Smith and Musty we got two pretty high upside, lower (not no) risk top 6 forwards. I wouldn't mind going for Cristall. If his skating is fixed he could be a high end top 6 player. Very risky though.

Wonder if we can package both thirds for a late 2nd so we can maybe grab a goalie. I swear I'm allergic to sharks third round picks.
We only have one third this year (#94 from Hurricanes). Ours was traded with Leonard for Kunin.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
8 minutes and counting folks. Kinda feel like it could be Danny Nelson or Brady Cleveland at 36. Big bodied kids who i think would make this team tough to play against in the future.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT Michkov and the possibility of where he wants to play......

Hannes Hyvonen came to California and was not a happy camper. Culture, food, distance from what was comfortable/familiar? All of the above? Sharks let him go.

If Michkov didn't think California was for him, glad they didn't force him. Better to get someone enthusiastic to be there.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
As a San Jose native, it’s rare to hear that someone from damn near any country in the world can’t find some familiar culture or food lol not saying SJ has it all, but ive been to a lot of places in the great U.S. of A and there aren’t a whole lotta places that compare in terms of cultural diversity.

Reactions: Makoshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
While I certainly understand a player wanting some choice over where he gets drafted, I’m not really loving any of the reports about Michkov and how he not-so-subtly let teams know he wasn’t interested in playing them. Just like, comparing that attitude to what I saw from Smith, I don’t know, man — I think ultimately Grier made the right choice.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
PA
Little column A, little column B. Essentially all of the 2018 through 2021 picks except Eklund and Gushchin falling flat certainly makes the more recent picks rank higher in a list like that:

I think there's no denying that the previous 3-4 years the Sharks were one of, if not the worst, drafting teams in the league.

Rusanowsky talked with scout Pat Funk and this was one of the questions discussed in podcast.

Cheers guys, appreciate the responses. It's nice to have some knowledge/help to rely on since social media usually refuses to look at anything besides the absolute most extreme of viewpoints.

I loved Mike Grier as a player, even though he had hands of stone and hit the post on an empty net from the slot one time, and want to see him succeed not just because it means the Sharks would not suck again. It felt weird to think that he maybe has them on the right track because it is the Sharks, so I figured it was my lack of knowledge that fueled that false optimism.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
While I certainly understand a player wanting some choice over where he gets drafted, I’m not really loving any of the reports about Michkov and how he not-so-subtly let teams know he wasn’t interested in playing them. Just like, comparing that attitude to what I saw from Smith, I don’t know, man — I think ultimately Grier made the right choice.
He 100% made the right move. And if he had picked Michkov and then Michkov refused to play for the sharks the same posters would have rationalized it "Well it was a good pick at the time." or even calling for Grier to be fired.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I have no problem with it

I very much appreciate it when people just cut the bullshit and are honest with me, especially if they're calling out a risk that I'm not seeing... I assume positive intent and it's nothing personal

GMMG probably got the sense he wasn't the only team that got that feedback, decided the hassle of trading back to leverage this info for more picks wasn't worth it and just said the hell with it I'll just draft a player who wants to be a Shark and be done with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad