Racing: 2023 Formula 1 Season

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think it's out of the question that Alonso would've had that podium even without Leclerc dropping out of the race.

Reactions: MXD

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
This version of Alonso is genuinely hilarious, especially for people who've followed his career. Obviously an all-time great and incredible talent, but for years a world class prick. One of the best drivers on earth and the last few years before his sabbatical none of the top teams wanted the headache of having him on board. This happy-go-lucky version is both jarring and wonderful.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lance Stroll apparently broke his brain on the bike as well.

He probably shouldn't have done what he did, because it was the first lap and because the AM is somewhere between 2nd and 4th fastest car (as opposed somewhere between 4th and 10th from last season, or plain 7th the season before), but there was room, and Alonso was not there nor even supposed to be there when Stroll committed.

(Again, Stroll did commit a bit too early but that's nowhere near whatever he did in Hungary two seasons ago).

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
It doesn’t look like Max will have much competition, ugh. Just want anyone to make it sorta close

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He probably shouldn't have done what he did, because it was the first lap and because the AM is somewhere between 2nd and 4th fastest car (as opposed somewhere between 4th and 10th from last season, or plain 7th the season before), but there was room, and Alonso was not there nor even supposed to be there when Stroll committed.

(Again, Stroll did commit a bit too early but that's nowhere near whatever he did in Hungary two seasons ago).
I thought Stroll was only focusing on out breaking Russell on his outside and got surprised when Alonso cut back to the inside. Pretty similar if not identical to what Leclerc did in that same corner in the 2020 Sakhir GP.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I just don’t know why Merc doubled down on the no side pod concept, what a horrible decision even AM developed a better car over the winter break

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought Stroll was only focusing on out breaking Russell on his outside and got surprised when Alonso cut back to the inside. Pretty similar if not identical to what Leclerc did in that same corner in the 2020 Sakhir GP.
Nah...
- Leclerc had been there on the inside the whole time and Stroll was clearly and directly behind him; Alonso was ahead of Stroll here, but no directly ahead.
- It was wet so braking performance was much worse
- Stroll was actually on the track today.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nah...
- Leclerc had been there on the inside the whole time and Stroll was clearly and directly behind him; Alonso was ahead of Stroll here, but no directly ahead.
- It was wet so braking performance was much worse
- Stroll was actually on the track today.
This is what I meant.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Extremely hot take: However many points Alonso finishes this race with will be more than McLaren manage all year.

Prior to quali I probably wouldn't have believed you, but between a weak quali and just a disaster of a race you might be right!

The Aston Martin is a fast car. Looks like they'll be fighting with Mercedes this year, not Alpine or McLaren.

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
And for the first time since he left Minardi to join Renault two decades ago, Fernando Alonso will have made a good career move.
Renault to Ferrari ahead of 2010 was also good move. Altough I always tough that Alonso would have won the title in 2012 had he been driving the Lotus.

And FWIW Alonso did not move from Minardi to Renault. F1 teams weren't ''grooming'' drivers in junior category back then when they do today but he was already a signed Renault driver and it was Briatore idea/plan to give him one year of racing at Minardi before he joined Renault as test driver.

But I strongly agree he had his share of bad career moves.

Reactions: JoVel

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Alonso was very much Briatore's man in F1 and signed with Renault before joining Minardi, but he was also managed before him by former Minardi driver Adrián Campos which largely explains his addresses before joining Renault.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Renault to Ferrari ahead of 2010 was also good move. Altough I always tough that Alonso would have won the title in 2012 had he been driving the Lotus.
Renault to Ferrari in a vacuum is definitely a good move, but less so given that reportedly RB had been after Alonso too at that time.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
One of my favourite Alonso moments was in his last race with McLaren and his engineer is trying to push him to fight for 10th by saying "ok Fernando, let's get one last point together" and Alonso saying "I already have like 1,900 points" and finishing 12th.

God that McLaren car was bad.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
IMG_3968.jpg

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad