Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
People are really sleeping on Dobes, he had a heck of a rookie season all told, his second half was downright stellar, on a team with very little defensive structure to boot. If his second pro season is just as good, he has to be at the very top of any list .
People are still sleeping on Monty! I’ve been saying for most of his time with us that he’s much better than people think. Consequently I was not a big fan of Primeau but he may be turning a corner. Goaltending will end up being a strength for us after the rebuild for sure.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People are still sleeping on Monty! I’ve been saying for most of his time with us that he’s much better than people think. Consequently I was not a big fan of Primeau but he may be turning a corner. Goaltending will end up being a strength for us after the rebuild for sure.

Green Bay Packers always have a QB and Montreal Canadiens always have a Goalie.

Some things are rules in life.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Give Monty a stable defensive group and his save percentage is in the .915 area, he moves well and doesn't give up garbage goals, competes hard and is a good team guy. I like him as a starter.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Give Monty a stable defensive group and his save percentage is in the .915 area, he moves well and doesn't give up garbage goals, competes hard and is a good team guy. I like him as a starter.
Great puck handler and one thing I like about him is that he handles playing in the Montreal market very well, not all goalies can handle that pressure. He has really improved.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Great puck handler and one thing I like about him is that he handles playing in the Montreal market very well, not all goalies can handle that pressure. He has really improved.
He was written off when he got here, mostly because he was a waiver wire acquisition but he kept working hard and got better. As fans, we are often harsh on a struggling player because we expect so much from them but to his credit he didn't crumble and is now a respected goalie league-wide. Plenty of commentators list him as a possible starter for Team Canada which is good to see considering how we got him. Sorry to derail the Fowler thread, apologies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was written off when he got here, mostly because he was a waiver wire acquisition but he kept working hard and got better. As fans, we are often harsh on a struggling player because we expect so much from them but to his credit he didn't crumble and is now a respected goalie league-wide. Plenty of commentators list him as a possible starter for Team Canada which is good to see considering how we got him. Sorry to derail the Fowler thread, apologies.
Don't apologize, Monty deserves many shout outs!

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Montembault has tons of room to grow, and I think it's perfect. He can be THE starter - play the games, play to win - and if he can take his game to the level you describe, he's a great gatekeeper to the starting spot, so Fowler or whoever wants to challenge him has to be better than that. For this particular situation, I think all of our goalies are being given great growth opportunities and appear to properly sheltered.

Monty is best to be a starter
Primeau a backup
Fowler and others in their respective levels

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Prime example of taking your chance and running with it.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Montembault has tons of room to grow, and I think it's perfect. He can be THE starter - play the games, play to win - and if he can take his game to the level you describe, he's a great gatekeeper to the starting spot, so Fowler or whoever wants to challenge him has to be better than that. For this particular situation, I think all of our goalies are being given great growth opportunities and appear to properly sheltered.

Monty is best to be a starter
Primeau a backup
Fowler and others in their respective levels
I can see some future trades involving quality goaltenders going out at some point. Which hasn’t been the case for the Habs for some time. It’s a nice problem to have. I much prefer the current situation than tying up $10 million bucks in one goalie and hoping to god he doesn’t get hurt (which of course, he did). Besides, it’s much easier to move a smaller contract if you need to.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I have high hopes for Fowler but we have seen a few NCAA goalie prospects who play on good teams putter out after leaving the NCAA. I'm holding out getting to excited for the time being. Overall I think Montreal has gathered some great goalie depth and I pretty confident one will pan out as a #1 goalie.

Reactions: Tyson

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Monty is the epitome of mediocre. That’s fine . . . for now. If Fowler can stay on his current trajectory, he’ll be the starter here in 2-3 years, even though he’ll still be very young (by goalie standards).

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Monty is the epitome of mediocre. That’s fine . . . for now. If Fowler can stay on his current trajectory, he’ll be the starter here in 2-3 years, even though he’ll still be very young (by goalie standards).
How can you say he's mediocre when he has played behind a bottom 5 team? You do realize that hockey is a team game and most goalies that are near the top of the league in wins and save percentage are there because the team in front of them is a good one.

I am not suggesting that he will be a Hab forever but I think we need to give him some support before we just call him mediocre.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
How can you say he's mediocre when he has played behind a bottom 5 team? You do realize that hockey is a team game and most goalies that are near the top of the league in wins and save percentage are there because the team in front of them is a good one.

I am not suggesting that he will be a Hab forever but I think we need to give him some support before we just call him mediocre.
No, I never realized that hockey is a team game. Thank you for educating me regarding same.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Yeah you will get alot of respect from posters here showing that arrogant tone.
Devastated. I believe his talent level is meh (by NHL standards, obviously). He gives up a bad goal pretty much every couple of games. And he’s not that young anymore. But he’s way better than Primeau, that I’ll grant you.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad