Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I mean if you’re not brining Toews back so you can trade for Lindholm and resign him, you still need to replace Toews and currently the Avs don’t have another top pair d-man to play with Makar. That’s fixing one problem, creating another

Like I said in previous posts, IMO the 2C hole is a significantly bigger problem than the current gap in skill between Toews and Byram. Makar is the best defenseman in the league, he can hang without Toews.

But it's too late. The Avs have made their decision and will most likely finish this core's window without a real 2C.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I just hope CMac has started to work on a contingency plan for RyJo. I wanted it to work, and I still want to give it time because we don't really have a choice. It was a good bet, but clearly we have to get ready to do something if this ship doesn't turn.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Like I said in previous posts, IMO the 2C hole is a significantly bigger problem than the current gap in skill between Toews and Byram. Makar is the best defenseman in the league, he can hang without Toews.

But it's too late. The Avs have made their decision and will most likely finish this core's window without a real 2C.
I swear you're cutting every time I see you post these days.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

They can still fix the 2C if it becomes an issue and RyJo doesn’t do the job. RyJo is only signed for 2 years, so even it doesn’t work this year and next year with him, it won’t be the end of the Avs window. The core will still be young enough to find another 2C and make few more runs

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I swear you're cutting every time I see you post these days.

I'll try to dial the pessimism back a bit, I used to be so optimistic about this org :laugh:

Willingly icing JT Compher as the 2C last year was the breaking point for me. Followed by a summer of hoping that failure would have taught them something - but it didn't, they replace Compher with a different flavor of JT Compher.

I do enjoy watching them play, we're lucky we get to watch superstars like Mack/Makar/Mikko all at the same time. It's just easy to see the corner management painted themselves into since the cup win and it's going to be downhill from here as currently constructed.

However, if they find a way to obtain a real 2C my opinion would flip pretty f***ing fast. 2C is the linch pin for me. But without one they'll be lucky to get out of the first two rounds of the postseason. Same story, different year for the Avs.

They can still fix the 2C if it becomes an issue and RyJo doesn’t do the job

Is it that time of year where we hope and pray the Avs do something at the trade deadline?

Reactions: The Moops

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'll try to dial the pessimism back a bit, I used to be so optimistic about this org :laugh:

Willingly icing JT Compher as the 2C last year was the breaking point for me. Followed by a summer of hoping that failure would have taught them something - but it didn't, they replace Compher with a different flavor of JT Compher.

I do enjoy watching them play, we're lucky we get to watch superstars like Mack/Makar/Mikko all at the same time. It's just easy to see the corner management painted themselves into since the cup win and it's going to be downhill from here as currently constructed.

However, if they find a way to obtain a real 2C my opinion would flip pretty f***ing fast. 2C is the linch pin for me. But without one they'll be lucky to get out of the first two rounds of the postseason. Same story, different year for the Avs.

Is it that time of year where we hope and pray the Avs do something at the trade deadline?
I added my post. Things not working out with RyJo for the 2 years won’t be the end of the Avs. Their core is young enough to go get another 2C in 2 years and make few more runs at the cup if it comes to that

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
They can still fix the 2C if it becomes an issue and RyJo doesn’t do the job. RyJo is only signed for 2 years, so even it doesn’t work this year and next year with him, it won’t be the end of the Avs window. The core will still be young enough to find another 2C and make few more runs

He will be shipped off next off-season if he doesn't work out now.

Sakic has been ruthless with bad playoff performances. He won't tolerate it. Look at Newhook and others who were thrown away, because they sucked. Kerfoot too.

In the end, that's the right attitude. We need players who perform at the key point.

Johansen is known as a good playoff performer. We will have to live with him this season.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
if RyJo continues to play this bad, I find it hard to believe the Avs wouldn’t address the situation prior to the playoffs.

Last year you could argue the team thought JTC had taken a step forward in his game and believed he could perform well as a 2C for a playoff run. There’s no justification for assuming the same about RyJo for this upcoming playoff run after the start he’s had to this season.

It will be difficult and likely won’t be a guaranteed solution, but the Avs will do something about it because everyone with a pair of eyes can see that RyJo is absolutely useless on this team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I definitely thought we would see a little more effort out of RyJo after how excited he seemed to be joining the Avs in the offseason. Hopefully getting benched in an 8-2 win wakes him up a bit.
Did he get benched? Ice time seemed pretty evenly distributed last night.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He will be shipped off next off-season if he doesn't work out now.

Sakic has been ruthless with bad playoff performances. He won't tolerate it. Look at Newhook and others who were thrown away, because they sucked. Kerfoot too.

In the end, that's the right attitude. We need players who perform at the key point.

Johansen is known as a good playoff performer. We will have to live with him this season.
I’m just saying in worst case scenario RyJo is only signed for 2 years. It’s not the end of the world

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
if RyJo continues to play this bad, I find it hard to believe the Avs wouldn’t address the situation prior to the playoffs.

Last year you could argue the team thought JTC had taken a step forward in his game and believed he could perform well as a 2C for a playoff run. There’s no justification for assuming the same about RyJo for this upcoming playoff run after the start he’s had to this season.

It will be difficult and likely won’t be a guaranteed solution, but the Avs will do something about it because everyone with a pair of eyes can see that RyJo is absolutely useless on this team.
Totally true. We can't waste another year of this team's prime, because we didn't have a proper #2 center. Johansen needs to show his worth before the trade deadline OR we need to get a new one.

We don't have time to waste. The time is now.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I added my post. Things not working out with RyJo for the 2 years won’t be the end of the Avs. Their core is young enough to go get another 2C in 2 years and make few more runs at the cup if it comes to that
Unless someone takes a huge step forward to make up for MacK slowing down a run of the mill 2C won't make up for the fact that there will be a 12.6 million dollar C who's aging and doesn't play defense on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad