Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Totally possible that I’m the one overrating Andersson! But I see a 27 year old RHD who has historically had good underlying numbers, can put up 35-40 points, and is solid defensively, all while on a sweetheart contract for two more years (ie enough time to convince him to stick around after it’s up). One of the few players who might be moved that I’d be willing to move #14 for.

Either way, you have to admit that getting Andersson for Bordeleau and Rutta would be highway robbery, no?
I would definitely take Andersson for Rutta and Bordeleau.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
If he's willing to accept a trade and re-sign, absolutely. Otherwise, I'm waiting for him to hit free agency and see if he can be acquired that way.
He’s got two years left on his contract. Why does his willingness to sign factor in? I mean great if he does, but I’d give up a Rutta and Bordeleau for that.

On Bordeleau, it’s not that I don’t like him as a player. He seems to be trending in a nice direction. I just think he’s not a great fit for where Grier seems to want to take the roster.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He’s got two years left on his contract. Why does his willingness to sign factor in? I mean great if he does, but I’d give up a Rutta and Bordeleau for that.

On Bordeleau, it’s not that I don’t like him as a player. He seems to be trending in a nice direction. I just think he’s not a great fit for where Grier seems to want to take the roster.
I probably would as well but I'd probably just look to move him immediately if he's not willing to re-sign. We're not going to contend in the next two years. We're going to need guys that are long term options to let the team build and grow together.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Right, I just don’t see Andersson and Markstrom being with worth what Calgary was getting in that trade. Markstrom might be worth a 3rd. Andersson doesn’t get 14th, Holtz, Bordeleau, and Rutta.
I think we’ll have to disagree on this. I think Andersson is easily worth #14 plus change.

Either way, we can agree that New Jersey isn’t interested in this deal. :laugh:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think we’ll have to disagree on this. I think Andersson is easily worth #14 plus change.

Either way, we can agree that New Jersey isn’t interested in this deal. :laugh:
You’re probably right that he’s worth 14+. I’m being overly patient and cautious about using assets on older players when the core isn’t remotely established yet. That’s skewing my perspective on Andersson’s value.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You’re probably right that he’s worth 14+. I’m being overly patient and cautious about using assets on older players when the core isn’t remotely established yet. That’s skewing my perspective on Andersson’s value.
And I totally agree with that mentality on the whole. I just also think that Andersson is a guy who can still be a high-level contributor in five years when we’re competitive, so he’s one of the few guys who are realistically available that I’d be willing to trade #14 for.

I’ve seen a ton of Bruins fans dumping on McAvoy lately… if they try to run him out of town, I’ll be first in line. Steal another maligned star out of Boston, yes please.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If Draisaitl did sign here would we just be the next iteration of the Leafs? :laugh:

Nylander = Swedish skill forward = Eklund
Smith
Marner = 4th OA highly skilled = Smith
Matthews = 1st OA franchise savior = Celebrini
Tavares = local boy all star = Draisaitl

Draisaitl is a different kind of player than any of the Leafs. Remember when he speared Chris Tierney in the nuts!! In the playoffs! Got suspended and then came back and then owned us the rest of the series. Handshake line with a shit-eating grin on his face.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
they should just use that money to "take care" of the Comcast television contract situation

If this was an option in the market I would be looking to invest!

Seriously, aren’t we about down to two more seasons on that disaster of an agreement? We should be competitive again by then. Hasso’s seeing the end game!

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
IMHO no point in trading for a winger. If anything, trading for a young defender makes sense.

Even better if one or two can be found in the FA. I hope Grier makes some good moves instead of forced moves.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
IMHO no point in trading for a winger. If anything, trading for a young defender makes sense.

Even better if one or two can be found in the FA. I hope Grier makes some good moves instead of forced moves.
I would be open to trading for a winger now...just not using any meaningful assets on such a player. I agree with (what seems to be) the consensus that if in a few years we're on a good trajectory, maybe competing for the playoffs, but need more scoring, that's when you go winger hunting--and the cost likely wouldn't be prohibitive if you've got a bunch of kids already developing nicely.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I would be open to trading for a winger now...just not using any meaningful assets on such a player. I agree with (what seems to be) the consensus that if in a few years we're on a good trajectory, maybe competing for the playoffs, but need more scoring, that's when you go winger hunting--and the cost likely wouldn't be prohibitive if you've got a bunch of kids already developing nicely.
Offer sheet Cole Perfetti

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Pick up Kaapo Kakko on the cheap. Grier and Morehouse are familiar with the player, he’d get a good opportunity to revive his career, and Quinn is no longer coach which if im not mistaken Kakko wasn’t a huge fan of his.

Reactions: OversKy

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m definitely on the trade for Necas train with a few conditions:
1. He’s willing to sign here for at least medium term
2. All 6 of the top dmen are gone by 14

That’s really it. I might overrate Necas a bit (like I do most canes players) but I think he’d be a great player for either of Celebrini or Smith long term. He’d be a staple in our top 6 for years to come. Basically what we hope Eklund is for us, is what I believe Necas is right now.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I know a team that can give him all the minutes and PP opportunity his heart desires.

I love Necas and would be thrilled to see him in SJ but I think someone will overpay for him - assets and $/term.
He's a top 6 winger on a good team. I'd be shocked if someone doesn't give him $8m+ and top line minutes, though. There are a few desperate teams who could afford him.

Not an issue next few seasons but less convinced in the second half of his contract it won't become a problem.

Stay the course, GMMG...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I love Necas and would be thrilled to see him in SJ but I think someone will overpay for him - assets and $/term.
He's a top 6 winger on a good team. I'd be shocked if someone doesn't give him $8m+ and top line minutes, though. There are a few desperate teams who could afford him.

Not an issue next few seasons but less convinced in the second half of his contract it won't become a problem.

Stay the course, GMMG...
He's 25 years old. Even if you give him the max he'll be 33 when the contract expires. Maybe the last year of the contract is a risk, certainly not the entire back half. Who knows what the cap will be by 2032 as well.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sadly he has no trade protection and the sharks arent outbidding a contender for him
But how many contenders have the cap space to sign Necas?

We have plenty of expendable assets that the Canes might value. Ferraro, 14th OA, VGK 1st, Bystedt, Edstrom, Halttunen, Cagnoni etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad