2023-24 Senators Prospect Watch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
These are comments from @GermanSpitfire who was at the game.
Was at the game here were the standouts

Red:
Bradley Nadeau: was the single most dynamic player on the ice. Him and Cowan had instant chemistry. Is going to be a big part of the team this year if he continues to play the way he did.

Tanner Molendyk: By far the best defender on the ice for both teams. Showcased confidence, speed and skill. Is going to be Canada’s #1 this year

Matthew Wood: Was straight up dominant in front of the net. Is really starting to put himself in positions to utilize his size and it stood out in a big way on the second goal for Red where his presence made 3 defenders rush to cover him leaving Catton open on the door step for a tap in after the puck bounced to him.

Noah Chadwick: Very quietly effective, showed some impressive instincts in the offensive zone and was consistently shutting down white in the first 2 periods. Sleeper to make the team.

White:
Beckett Sennecke: was whites best offensive player throughout. He maybe was trying to do too much at times but he was the only guy able to consistently generate chances for White on a shift to shift basis.

Porter Martone: Unfortunately he didn’t get to play much but when he did I thought he was fantastic. Using his size and skills well to get to the net amd was able to get a good deal of chances. I’d like to see more of him because he played very few minutesz

Caden Price: Was Whites most steady defender, great defensive positioning - strong play getting pucks out of his zone while his partner really struggled. Could be this years rock.

Sam Dickinson: Quiet for the first period then turned it on after that. Showing his dynamic skillset and skating. Was jumping into plays and thwarting tons of chances with his strong stick and positioning.

Brayden Yager: I might be wrong here but Yager might be this teams best two way player. Was excellent on the backcheck and consistently made smart defensive plays. Was really impressed with his game

Parekh was very good, was consistently getting into the play and directing his teammates, was very vocal. Got caught a lot but Minhyo and one of his foe was always back to cover for him for him to make a play on the backcheck. Was getting outmuscled physically and was afraid of the corners but was very impressive all things told.

Yakemchuk was mostly invisible, got a lot of ice but not a lot came of it. Was chasing the game a lot and was constantly caught flat footed and forced to pivot not being able to correctly gauge the pace of the game. I expected more, personally.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
That's pathetic, why even participate if you're gonna send in a bunch of guys who have no future in this organization?
They don't really have any choice.

Last year they sent a 29 player team and 19 of them were undrafted invites. This year it will probably be much the same.

Some years you have a deep group, some years you invite a 25 year old guy who was playing Division III NCAA hockey to fill out the roster.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
They don't really have any choice.

Last year they sent a 29 player team and 19 of them were undrafted invites. This year it will probably be much the same.

Some years you have a deep group, some years you invite a 25 year old guy who was playing Division III NCAA hockey to fill out the roster.
Should be a little bit more filled out this year.

Yakemchuk, Ellinas, Andonovski, Pettersson, Donovan, Hamara, Halliday, and Toure will all likely be there. At least a few of Kleven, Ostapchuk, Boucher, Merilainen, Nordberg, Rees, Daoust, Chiasson, and Bourgault will be there too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
very limited highlights
Canada outshot the Swedes 46-21 including 19-5 in the 1st period.
Canada scores 6 on 5 to tie it. Parekh with the assist but no credit in the stats. End up losing in a shootout.

Yakemchuk also made it on the highlights again.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
very limited highlights
Canada outshot the Swedes 46-21 including 19-5 in the 1st period.
Canada scores 6 on 5 to tie it. Parekh with the assist but no credit in the stats. End up losing in a shootout.

Yakemchuk also made it on the highlights again.
He needs to improve his agility, he's caught flatfooted in the defensive zone on the cycle and off the rush a lot.

That was one of the issues I had. His stops, starts and his pivots in the defensive zone is going to be an issue, and I'm not sure how much improvement we can expect, comparitively to the NHL.

It's only the summer showcase, not the end of the world, but I'm not sure what you're going to take him for in a tournament like this if you aren't using him on PP1. He has massive upside longterm and that's caked into his NHL profile and where he was drafted, but in a short 2 week tournament, I think there are better options for Canada.

(I do think he will be on the team)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He needs to improve his agility, he's caught flatfooted in the defensive zone on the cycle and off the rush a lot.

That was one of the issues I had. His stops, starts and his pivots in the defensive zone is going to be an issue, and I'm not sure how much improvement we can expect, comparitively to the NHL.

It's only the summer showcase, not the end of the world, but I'm not sure what you're going to take him for in a tournament like this if you aren't using him on PP1. He has massive upside longterm and that's caked into his NHL profile and where he was drafted, but in a short 2 week tournament, I think there are better options for Canada.

As someone who hasn't seen him a lot but is being patient on is development, this is still unsettling to read.

Pivots and agility don't seem to be something that is easy to make big strides in for a mature player. There is general improvement to be expected, but this isn't great to read.

I will need to look at more video of him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

More likely than not on the team.
His overall fundamentals are raw at this point. He is an intriguing package with a combination of traits to be excited about as he continues to develop. We want the end result to include strong defense.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
As someone who hasn't seen him a lot but is being patient on is development, this is still unsettling to read.

Pivots and agility don't seem to be something that is easy to make big strides in for a mature player. There is general improvement to be expected, but this isn't great to read.

It depends on how much attention has been paid to it in the past. If his stride hasnt been examined and worked on closely, a mechanical change and some practice might be enough to make a significant difference. If hes already done that work, there is less room to improve

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

In fairness, despite Yakemchuk being one of the oldest players in the draft, he's still considered somewhat raw.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

But he corsschecks and apparently gets misconducts? Actually our own scout didn’t even know if that’s where a huge chunk of his penalties came from

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
In fairness, despite Yakemchuk being one of the oldest players in the draft, he's still considered somewhat raw.
True, but he is old enough to be drafted in the NHL, which is more what I was trying to say.

However, if he has been growing a lot the last few years, he could well simply need to get stronger and more adjusted - there is certainly room for improvement in any scenario.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No mention of Matthew Andonovski seems like a big oversight.
They only cover the top 10, so I could see no writeup, but no mention in the "other prospects" section makes it pretty clear they just forgot about him...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sucks USAHockeyTV takes the rights to the wjss and charges ridiculous prices to watch.
But now we get to watch some future prospects hockey.
HlinkaGretzky Cup U18 tournament starts. This is a good early view at some of the top players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Seems about right. 17th in the 2024 draft class. Very close to mid teens. 6th out of the top 6 ranked D is consistent.

Hopefully he has a big year and establishes himself as one of the best D prospects. We really need this one to work out after 3 consecutive fiascos (Boucher, DeBrincat, Chychrun)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hopefully he has a big year and establishes himself as one of the best D prospects. We really need this one to work out after 3 consecutive fiascos (Boucher, DeBrincat, Chychrun)
We can hope. A lot will be up to him on where he focuses his development this year. Sens dev staff will help but the Junior team needs are going to come first wrt the messaging there. I hope he can get some coaching focused on his skating and his defensive awareness.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1