Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XI: Trade Deadline March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How does Ullmarks NTC work? Does the team know who's on that list from day 1 of the season or does he submit it only if they ask?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1709055182766.jpeg

Reactions: bbfan419

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How does Ullmarks NTC work? Does the team know who's on that list from day 1 of the season or does he submit it only if they ask?

not knowing his specific contract it’s typically prior to season start.
from NHLPA

IMG_1114.png

but that doesnt mean he cant be approached to accept another situation later. His call.

Reactions: Gordoff

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
We're at the point now as a fanbase where we get excited to see one of our players facewash another guy. "WHAT A RESPONSE!" - Last night Brandon Carlo pushed someone and many were all like "LOVE THAT FROM CARLO, HE LOOKED PISSED!!!"

I always get a kick of the "NHL Rivalry Night" where they show clips of hard hits, fights, etc from years past and then they come out and play that game the exact opposite. It's quite the contrast.
It's not that enjoyable of a product without intensity. Getting sick of hearing how great it is that we at least got a point. Goalies have shown more push back than any of the players. Honestly to the point where I'm also not as inspired to watch the games. I watch every game and have for decades

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

▪ Some advice for Bruins president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney: Don’t go overboard at the March 8 trade deadline investing in this bunch of B’s after selling out during last year’s record-setting season.

We’ve been blessed with a pleasantly surprising season sur glace in the wake of the retirements of stalwarts Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. The Bruins have exceeded expectations, jockeying for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. However, they are teetering in their last 11 (3-3-5), having concluded their four-game Western swing with a shootout loss to Seattle.

Sorry, these are the Bridge Bruins. They’re the hockey version of the Isaiah Thomas-era Celtics, an overachieving team with some high-end talent but not enough, which manages to excel in the regular season. When intensity and effort levels equalize in the postseason, their advantage evaporates and their talent isn’t enough to punch above their weight and win it all.

No additional early-round draft picks or prized prospects like Matthew Poitras or Mason Lohrei should be harvested or harmed to augment this admirable team. It’s pucks pyrite; regret will seep in come summer. Moving pending free agent Jake DeBrusk, he of the cold-case scoring touch, or breaking up the stellar goalie tandem with Linus Ullmark under contract for just one more year is allowable. Mortgaging more future assets isn’t.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
You're not getting this for goaltending today in my opinion.
A 37 YO Marc Andre Fleury netted a second round pick a few years ago and he was no where near as good at LU and almost 7 years older.
The Kings got 2 x third round picks and Trevor Moore, who may score 30 goals this year for Jack " soupy" Campbell after posting a .900 SVPCT and 2.85 GAA before he was traded....no where near the stats LU has.
You are way undervaluing a top goalie, who won the Vezina last year.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
A 37 YO Marc Andre Fleury netted a second round pick a few years ago and he was no where near as good at LU and almost 7 years older.
The Kings got 2 x third round picks and Trevor Moore, who may score 30 goals this year for Jack " soupy" Campbell after posting a .900 SVPCT and 2.85 GAA before he was traded....no where near the stats LU has.
Well then the Bruins would be absolute idiots not to be moving him in a few weeks if that's the case.

I don't think I'm undervaluing him when a young, stud player is coming in a return.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Very quietly we might be in a year with a record amount of sellers for the cap era? A few losses fall the right way here and the 8 in the East and maybe 9 in the West are all but set. Everyone else sells.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Very quietly we might be in a year with a record amount of sellers for the cap era? A few losses fall the right way here and the 8 in the East and maybe 9 in the West are all but set. Everyone else sells.
Seems like a TON of teams are tight for space. I definitely think you'll see a lot of movement, most likely teams trying to shed $$$

capecodder

Jan 16, 2020
It's not that enjoyable of a product without intensity. Getting sick of hearing how great it is that we at least got a point. Goalies have shown more push back than any of the players. Honestly to the point where I'm also not as inspired to watch the games. I watch every game and have for decades
I only watch them once in a while now. Quite a few friends stopped entirely.

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
They went all in last year. They are who they are. Looking at strictly wins and losses, I think they are 17-19 over their last 36 games. That's almost 3 months of the season. They are where they are because of the hot start and the OTL point. Everything they do should be geared towards what will help next year (when they have cap and assets) and beyond.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I only watch them once in a while now. Quite a few friends stopped entirely.
Not sure I can physically stop watching all together but it's a tough product as far as entertainment goes. Scares me a bit that ya they could go out and grab a gritty bottom 6 guy but in the end the players in the team should have more intensity but seem to be going through the motions.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If the Bruins trade for any upgrades, the sum of any/all the deal(s), will likely have to be near dollar for dollar.
The problems on the roster, 1C and 3D would be high salary and thus would need to be addressed this off-season.
I'll be floored if anything drastic happens this trade deadline.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Any chance they Bruins would dip into Providence again and sign Abate? Is he terrible? I've seen him be pretty mean. Kuntar is another guy I would like to see before the season is up.

If the Bruins trade for any upgrades, the sum of any/all the deal(s), will likely have to be near dollar for dollar.
The problems on the roster, 1C and 3D would be high salary and thus would need to be addressed this off-season.
I'll be floored if anything drastic happens this trade deadline.
They could deal say Jake for picks then use said picks in something for Hanifin as well. Those kinds of deals.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
One thing I'd like to be more knowledgeable about is the salary cap and LTIR. In reference to that, being as tight as we are to the cap today, can we add someone on LTIR, call it a 7 million dollar player and go over the cap that much? For example, take on Jakub Voracek and his 8.25 million dollar expiring contract, place on LTIR and then add a player of equal or lesser amount?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Marc Andre Fleury was traded to Minnesota for a second round pick, the year after he won the Vezina......and he didn't have a NTC.

The NTC limits a team's leverage in getting the best deal for an asset, and you have to discount a player's trade value accordingly.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Goalie trades are rare, ususally in the offseason and for picks.
Yup, only modifying factors I would add for this season are:
1. Ullmark is the reigning Vezina candidate.
2. The market among contenders for goaltenders is higher than its been for quite a long time.

We should get a better than normal return for Ullmark. A larger return for Swayman due to his age and progress.

I just dont see it happening this TDL unless a team makes us an offer we cant refuse.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

In the NHL, there is a thin line, either blue or red, between a funk and an all-out hot mess.
At the moment, after a club-record six consecutive overtime games — including three losses on a road trip that ended 1-0-3 Monday night in Seattle — the Bruins are straddling that line.
How to move beyond it?
“We can’t start looking ahead to the playoffs,” said team captain Brad Marchand following another blown third-period lead, resulting in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Kraken. “There’s a lot of time left to get it done down the stretch.”
Mathematically, Marchand is absolutely correct. The Black-and-Gold have 22 games to go before the puck drops on the second season, some six weeks to get their sticks together, summon a finishing kick, and possibly clinch the top spot in the Eastern Conference or even the dreaded, cursed hardware that is the Presidents’ Trophy.

However, the road trip through Edmonton (6-5 OT win), Calgary (3-2 OT loss), Vancouver (3-2 OT loss), and Seattle (4-3 SO loss) should have served as a concerning kick to their Stanley Cup dreams.

Frittering away third-period leads is no way to engender the kind of confidence needed to grind through a seven-game series — never mind four of them.

“Consistently play to our identity,” said coach Jim Montgomery, asked what message he’ll send to his sagging lot when they return to practice Wednesday in Brighton. “You have to continue to teach, even though you’re in the final home stretch, you’ve got to continue to teach.”

There was no practice time on the four-game trip. It was a six-night, pack-and-play grinder in varying time zones. Even for a bunch of millionaires who travel by charter planes and stay in luxe hotels, that pace can be daunting. Mistakes are left to be corrected on the fly, in-game, and that usually leads to deferred maintenance, leaky faucets and all.

“If you don’t have that practice time, you’ve got to have video time, and guys have to focus,” said Montgomery. “And we have good habits and details that we believe give us good opportunities.”

A club that consistently builds leads over 40 minutes is not that far off from success. But a club that can’t close out games is doomed. The Bruins had the ultimate closer in their lineup for most of the expanded arc of Patrice Bergeron’s career. In times of trouble — say, third-period fires on the scoreboard — Bergeron was often the glue that kept things from falling apart.

They don’t have that guy in the lineup anymore. Frankly, a couple of dozen NHL teams can’t boast a Bergy knockoff.

Bergeron was a one-of-a-kind Hall of Famer, and the Bruins of late have shown they desperately need someone who can be at least half of No. 37′s equal, needed to exhibit the will which says to them: “Hold on!” in times of trouble. (Yes, a Rudyard Kipling alert way down here in On Hockey.)

The slow drip to third-period chaos has been the sleepy starts out of the break at 40:00. In the propofol-like starts to the third, the Bruins have become the hump they can’t get over.

“I think the attitude in there is that we’re a good hockey team,” said Montgomery, asked the mood of his team upon the end of the trip. “But we have areas that we have to continue to grow in.”

“We had the opportunity to have a much better road trip,” said Marchand, a man who knows the dips and challenges that are part of every regular-season slog. “Into the third period with a lead, we expect to win games, and we have to. We’re coming down the stretch. We have to do a much better job of not sitting back.”

It soon will be that time of the season, the best time, when every shift is charged with emotion, and 15 other teams try to convince themselves that each tick of the second hand clocks the time left on their hockey souls.

Those who dare even think to sit back too long are left to sit for the summer.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

▪ Some advice for Bruins president Cam Neely and general manager Don Sweeney: Don’t go overboard at the March 8 trade deadline investing in this bunch of B’s after selling out during last year’s record-setting season.

We’ve been blessed with a pleasantly surprising season sur glace in the wake of the retirements of stalwarts Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. The Bruins have exceeded expectations, jockeying for the top spot in the Eastern Conference. However, they are teetering in their last 11 (3-3-5), having concluded their four-game Western swing with a shootout loss to Seattle.

Sorry, these are the Bridge Bruins. They’re the hockey version of the Isaiah Thomas-era Celtics, an overachieving team with some high-end talent but not enough, which manages to excel in the regular season. When intensity and effort levels equalize in the postseason, their advantage evaporates and their talent isn’t enough to punch above their weight and win it all.

No additional early-round draft picks or prized prospects like Matthew Poitras or Mason Lohrei should be harvested or harmed to augment this admirable team. It’s pucks pyrite; regret will seep in come summer. Moving pending free agent Jake DeBrusk, he of the cold-case scoring touch, or breaking up the stellar goalie tandem with Linus Ullmark under contract for just one more year is allowable. Mortgaging more future assets isn’t.
I agree with this take from Christopher 100%.

If we deal any prospects or picks this TDL I will take a hiatus.

I can live with a first round departure if it ends up that way this year. I was prepared for a possibility of missing the playoffs this year, so this is all gravy.

However, I do not believe for a moment that this team will catch lightening in a bottle and run for the Cup. Could it happen? Of course it could and wouldn't that be glorious. Should we mortgage more of an already mortgaged future betting that there is a player or two away chance of it happening????. Absolutely not IMO. Definitively, absolutely, for the love of all that is holy.... NO.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
He has a 16 team no trade list. The Bruins would ask him to submit his list of teams that he does not want to be traded to, then the Bruins are free to trade him to the other teams, or work out a deal with him to go to one of the teams on his list, which is his call.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I agree with this take from Christopher 100%.

If we deal any prospects or picks this TDL I will take a hiatus.

I can live with a first round departure if it ends up that way this year. I was prepared for a possibility of missing the playoffs this year, so this is all gravy.

However, I do not believe for a moment that this team will catch lightening in a bottle and run for the Cup. Could it happen? Of course it could and wouldn't that be glorious. Should we mortgage more of an already mortgaged future betting that there is a player or two away chance of it happening????. Absolutely not IMO. Definitively, absolutely, for the love of all that is holy.... NO.

100% agree with you on all points. Getting in this year and see what happens . But if there are deals to be made to improve the team next year and beyond then Im for giving them much thought. Invest in tomorrow in my opinion. Be it TDL, draft or FA period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad