Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Info (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How does his rating work? 3A?
I can't really remember, I believe the number is the potential upside (1 is best) and the letter is how likely he considers that upside to be reached. So 3A would be middling upside, but overall likely to reach it. I don't think he counts goalies (goalies are voodoo), so he's mostly basing that off the skaters. I could be wrong though. I tried to look up where he explained the rating system but I couldn't find it.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
No, you delete.
1723132562789.png

• Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Guly ain't got time for the AHL.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Guly ain't got time for the AHL.

I can understand his thought process but still don’t overly care for that mindset. I wouldn’t want to buried in the AHL either if I had a talent like his but if he struggles after coming over it’s not necessarily a slight to spend a bit of time in the junior league to adjust as needed.

Reactions: henchman21

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I can understand his thought process but still don’t overly care for that mindset. I wouldn’t want to buried in the AHL either if I had a talent like his but if he struggles after coming over it’s not necessarily a slight to spend a bit of time in the junior league to adjust as needed.

We'll see if he changes his tune in a year or so. I'm not sure he'll get much PP time in Avangard again this year, so he's kind of stuck in a purely ES role.

Not accepting AHL time is probably the difference in him coming over in 27-28 vs 26-27.

This is another in a long list of reasons why I wish the NHL would sponsor a European version of the AHL (rules, rink size, language, etc).

If there was an 8-16 team European Hockey League that used NHL sized ice, rules, and everything was primarily in English then these guys could stay closer to home instead of traveling halfway around the world to make $60-80k and ride buses across North America in a language and culture that many don't understand to learn a new style of hockey.

I think this is also the biggest reason why the NHL has a dearth of European coaches, GMs, and referees/linesman.

Not to mention that the biggest growth market for the NHL is in Europe where there is a huge base of millions of established hockey fans.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This is another in a long list of reasons why I wish the NHL would sponsor a European version of the AHL (rules, rink size, language, etc).

If there was an 8-16 team European Hockey League that used NHL sized ice, rules, and everything was primarily in English then these guys could stay closer to home instead of traveling halfway around the world to make $60-80k and ride buses across North America in a language and cutlure that many don't understand to learn a new style of hockey.

I think this is also the biggest reason why the NHL has a dearth of European coaches, GMs, and referees/linesman.

Not to mention that the biggest growth market for the NHL is in Europe where there is a huge base of millions of established hockey fans.
I know the NHL has explored the thoughts of trying to get a European Conference or at least Division at times. Never thought about establishing a developmental league in Europe though. I always figured Europe's leagues were good enough for that. However, if this new league could get different transfer agreements and allow anyone drafted in the NHL to play in it, that could really help players like Ritchie who probably won't learn a thing by sticking in Juniors other than maybe relying on his natural skill too much, but he's also probably not quite ready for NHL yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avsfan1921

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know the NHL has explored the thoughts of trying to get a European Conference or at least Division at times. Never thought about establishing a developmental league in Europe though. I always figured Europe's leagues were good enough for that. However, if this new league could get different transfer agreements and allow anyone drafted in the NHL to play in it, that could really help players like Ritchie who probably won't learn a thing by sticking in Juniors other than maybe relying on his natural skill too much, but he's also probably not quite ready for NHL yet.
When it comes to Ritchie or any other player in the CHL they are contractually obligated to play in the CHL if it’s not the NHL. It doesn’t matter what other alternatives are out there.

Aside from that there’s nothing stopping the NHL from utilizing a Euro team as their unofficial affiliate. The Avs sort of have this with MODO but aren’t sending prospects at the start of their pro career there as it should be used. The AHL should only be for the players who have a very realistic plan to at least split the year between AHL and NHL. If anyone is years away they should be elsewhere including Europe. This is what’s best for Gulyayev.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

If there was an 8-16 team European Hockey League that used NHL sized ice, rules, and everything was primarily in English then these guys could stay closer to home instead of traveling halfway around the world to make $60-80k and ride buses across North America in a language and cutlure that many don't understand to learn a new style of hockey.

It would be an absolute nightmare to get pushed through and all the local leagues would have a major protest about it. As of now, these leagues get to keep their players until they are near ready for the NHL (if they ever get to that point). They get nice transfer funds, and they get better players for their teams and league. It arguably hurts development, but it is better for all the leagues financially to do it this way.

I do wish a European league would start though. The KHL was on that path for a while before finances got in the way and with geopolitical situations on going now, there is basically no way it can happen. It would be better though.

When it comes to Ritchie or any other player in the CHL they are contractually obligated to play in the CHL if it’s not the NHL. It doesn’t matter what other alternatives are out there.

Aside from that there’s nothing stopping the NHL from utilizing a Euro team as their unofficial affiliate. The Avs sort of have this with MODO but aren’t sending prospects at the start of their pro career there as it should be used. The AHL should only be for the players who have a very realistic plan to at least split the year between AHL and NHL. If anyone is years away they should be elsewhere including Europe. This is what’s best for Gulyayev.
Death. Taxes. TV hating the AHL. :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
...of established teams, on several levels of leagues.

Not to mention that there is virtually no interest in international European leagues, unless they replace the top national league as in some smaller countries.

Last edited:

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
...of established teams, on several levels of leagues.

Not to mention that there is virtually no interest in international European leagues, unless they replace the top national league as in some smaller countries.
I understand this view point if one looks at the current European layout. What is missed in this perspective is that major cities such as London, Paris, and Milan have tremendous potential as a market for a premium hockey league. A city does not have to be a traditional "hockey hotbed" to offer significant market potential from a media/ticket sales perspective. Just look at the NHL's rise in popularity and market-value by focusing on large markets in the USA.

Yes, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Prague would be great markets in this type of league but so would Copenhagen and Vienna. , Cologne and Munich, possibly among a few other German cities, would be elevated as well into the top tier league.

A team in Stockholm for example would likely be better off as a "new" team and not AIK or Djurgarden for the very provincial reasons that exist in those national leagues and to not disrupt those traditional leagues; just like Jokerit leaving for the KHL years ago; but in this case it would be aligned with the NHL.

The point is to replicate the NHL style of play as an "AHL level" league but hosted in Europe; the players wouldn't just be country-specific although that would have some benefits for ticket sales it wouldn't be "forced" on the teams. Perhaps the European teams would even have some shared affiliation with NHL teams to be a finishing school for their players to be closer to their homes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I understand this view point if one looks at the current European layout. What is missed in this perspective is that major cities such as London, Paris, and Milan have tremendous potential as a market for a premium hockey league. A city does not have to be a traditional "hockey hotbed" to offer significant market potential from a media/ticket sales perspective. Just look at the NHL's rise in popularity and market-value by focusing on large markets in the USA.

Yes, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Prague would be great markets in this type of league but so would Copenhagen and Vienna. , Cologne and Munich, possibly among a few other German cities, would be elevated as well into the top tier league.

A team in Stockholm for example would likely be better off as a "new" team and not AIK or Djurgarden for the very provincial reasons that exist in those national leagues and to not disrupt those traditional leagues; just like Jokerit leaving for the KHL years ago; but in this case it would be aligned with the NHL.

The point is to replicate the NHL style of play as an "AHL level" league but hosted in Europe; the players wouldn't just be country-specific although that would have some benefits for ticket sales it wouldn't be "forced" on the teams. Perhaps the European teams would even have some shared affiliation with NHL teams to be a finishing school for their players to be closer to their homes.
It takes an absurd amount of investment to make that idea work, and while there is plenty of money in those cities... that money is not hopped up on hockey. And traditionally, most sport ownership in Europe has been less about joining an exclusive club... where in NA getting a NHL team is a status symbol and sets the path to ownership in other leagues.

Reactions: UncleRisto

MartinBe

Dec 1, 2021

And no Djurgården or AIK fans would go watch team Stockholm in a AHL level typ of league and that is about all the hockeymarket in Stockholm. For the record I am a season ticketholder for Djurgården.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
And no Djurgården or AIK fans would go watch team Stockholm in a AHL level typ of league and that is about all the hockeymarket in Stockholm. For the record I am a season ticketholder for Djurgården.
I appreciate that perspective; but in the long run a league built as a European "feeder" league to the NHL doesn't need "NHL economics" to survive. We need more NHL coaches, referees, linesman, and management from Europe; not to mention a better lifestyle than playing in the AHL for $60k while riding buses and long travel between North American cities. The only way to get that is if there is a European league with NHL rink sizes, rules, playing style, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad