Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Info (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He was always going to be a boom/bust sort where the boom wasn't that high. Avs have a clear tendency to get enchanted with big guys who can fly despite other flaws. His whole game upon getting drafted was receive the puck on an outlet pass, head down and skate as fast as possible towards the net, make a low percentage shot. And that just never evolved... injuries didn't help. He was pretty low percentage to begin with. Guys like Blake, Lilliberg (who Arizona stupidly decided not to sign), Ufko, Duke, and Roy all going within a round or so later hurts.
Drafting based on size.

This board takes a firm stand against that practice!

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm sure the Avs offered Sward an ELC, 100%. But they can't force him to sign it. For whatever reason, Sward seems to be comfortable re-entering the draft this year. No clue why, but I can't imagine why CMac wouldn't have tried to get it done with him (Zhigalov not getting an offer is easy to imagine).

Reactions: AvsFan2123

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
^ That’s what I’m hoping too. I’m hoping they at least tried to and offered him one. Not like we’re flush with prospects and straight up ignored him. Maybe he didn’t want to sign with Colorado. There’s openings with the Eagles next year. Only Ahcan and Middleton are signed, and one of Behrens/Malinski will likely be there. Maybe we continue searching elsewhere?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm sure the Avs offered Sward an ELC, 100%. But they can't force him to sign it. For whatever reason, Sward seems to be comfortable re-entering the draft this year. No clue why, but I can't imagine why CMac wouldn't have tried to get it done with him (Zhigalov not getting an offer is easy to imagine).
Is this the reason why or is it your theory?

Personally speaking, if Avs were the reason why they did not want to sign Sward, there has to be a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE disconnect between some of the scouting staff and other front office Avs personnel. It goes back to multiple failures of picks like trading up for Silas, drafting Colby Cohen in the 2nd round, drafting Mitch Heard in the 2nd round, drafting Connor Bleackley in the 1st round, drafting Aman and then letting him walk, drafting effing Saigon, drafting Jost, drafting Siemens, drafting Greer/Meloche, drafting Magyar who freakin' retired when he was in the OHL, drafting Kaut, drafting Newhook, drafting Stienburg, drafting Buyalsky, drafting Zhigalov, drafting Ishimnikov, drafting Hanzel (which looks like they were not going to sign based on some rumours), and others.

I get that listing 7th-rounders like Zhigalov is probably unfair, but it is nonsense at this point because we've had three head scouts the past 10-12 years yet the same problems keep popping up. I only listed Ivan not because he was ever becoming an NHL calibre goaler, but due to how much of an utter disaster his career has been since the Avs drafted him. Klippenstein is the bloke who drafted Buyalsky that high and even though he was an interesting risk, you had a highly hyped player in Red Savage go in the 4th round and look like a steal. Dillon Duke is another one in the 4th round and was fairly hyped entering his draft year as well. There are much better interesting prospects to draft in the middle and later rounds, but Avs just don't like picking them. It has to come down to philosophy or something from somebody higher up because these same occurrences keep happening where you're not even drafting good ECHL talent, you keep drafting trash like Saigon who's getting by as a bottom 6 ECHLer.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Personally speaking, if Avs were the reason why they did not want to sign Sward, there has to be a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE disconnect between some of the scouting staff and other front office Avs personnel. It goes back to multiple failures of picks like trading up for Silas, drafting Colby Cohen in the 2nd round, drafting Mitch Heard in the 2nd round, drafting Connor Bleackley in the 1st round, drafting Aman and then letting him walk, drafting effing Saigon, drafting Jost, drafting Siemens, drafting Greer/Meloche, drafting Magyar who freakin' retired when he was in the OHL, drafting Kaut, drafting Newhook, drafting Stienburg, drafting Buyalsky, drafting Zhigalov, drafting Ishimnikov, drafting Hanzel (which looks like they were not going to sign based on some rumours), and others.

I get that listing 7th-rounders like Zhigalov is probably unfair, but it is nonsense at this point because we've had three head scouts the past 10-12 years yet the same problems keep popping up. I only listed Ivan not because he was ever becoming an NHL calibre goaler, but due to how much of an utter disaster his career has been since the Avs drafted him. Klippenstein is the bloke who drafted Buyalsky that high and even though he was an interesting risk, you had a highly hyped player in Red Savage go in the 4th round and look like a steal. Dillon Duke is another one in the 4th round and was fairly hyped entering his draft year as well. There are much better interesting prospects to draft in the middle and later rounds, but Avs just don't like picking them. It has to come down to philosophy or something from somebody higher up because these same occurrences keep happening where you're not even drafting good ECHL talent, you keep drafting trash like Saigon who's getting by as a bottom 6 ECHLer.
fire Sakic!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
fire Sakic!
I don't think it is Sakic, it is somebody who has major power and who's probably been with the organisation for like 10 to 15+ years. It could be MacFarland, it could also be Brad Smith who's been here a long time (likewise with that bloke who just left last season for a job with the Rangers IIRC).

Reactions: Alienblood

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't have any inside info there, it's just logical deduction. The Avs traded for Sward, obviously they wanted him. It makes no sense for them to specifically ask for him in a trade only to not bother to offer him a contract three months later and lose his rights.

Since Sward isn't signed, that means that the refusal to play ball has to have come from the player's side. You can't force somebody to sign a contract. And that means that for whatever reason, Sward would rather re-enter the draft than sign what the Avs offered him, because he is going to be draft eligible again this year as a CHL prospect.

That's the only explanation that makes any sense. Beyond that, I have no clue what the reasons are behind it.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought part of the reason Nashville even got rid of Sward is because he didn't want to sign there? Maybe the Avs thought they had a shot at signing him? Honestly not sure what Sward has to gain by going back in the draft.

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Sward is too old to re-enter draft as he turns 21 before the end of the year. He is a free agent now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sward is too old to re-enter draft as he turns 21 before the end of the year. He is a free agent now.
Been a minute since I’ve read this section, but I think it is 21+ are not eligible if they haven’t been selected before. If they have been selected, I think they need to be 22 to be ineligible for the draft.

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Been a minute since I’ve read this section, but I think it is 21+ are not eligible if they haven’t been selected before. If they have been selected, I think they need to be 22 to be ineligible for the draft.
Looking at the CBA I think you are correct. The previous draft claim throws in a wrench. Should he go unclaimed I think he would then become a free agent.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't have any inside info there, it's just logical deduction. The Avs traded for Sward, obviously they wanted him. It makes no sense for them to specifically ask for him in a trade only to not bother to offer him a contract three months later and lose his rights.

Since Sward isn't signed, that means that the refusal to play ball has to have come from the player's side. You can't force somebody to sign a contract. And that means that for whatever reason, Sward would rather re-enter the draft than sign what the Avs offered him, because he is going to be draft eligible again this year as a CHL prospect.

That's the only explanation that makes any sense. Beyond that, I have no clue what the reasons are behind it.
Sward was a development camp invite in 2021. They were very familiar with him and passed then. Teams don’t really circle back on camp bodies they moved on from. They didn’t even give him a game with the Eagles on his tryout this spring. If they had any interest they would have done that. It’s much more logical that they never had intentions of signing him. Maybe it was just for trade optics since so much was going out the door. They don’t like to acquire rights on guys that need decisions right away. A guy like Bardakov is much more their MO with the indefinite rights and intent to wait and sign him.

I don’t think this draft loophole matters much. If a team was interested they could have given the Avs a low pick for his rights, maybe that’s what they were hoping for. I doubt he gets claimed again and then he can be a free agent. I also highly doubt Sward declined. He’s an overager about to turn 21, he needs somewhere to play next year and would likely jump at the chance of a pro contract. He probably gets an AHL deal somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad