GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
If the Sharks were in the finals, would you be dropping $1500 for a single ticket? Be honest.
I would, if it was a situation where the team is in it's "prime" and there is a big hype. I'll add that I would have to come from Finland, so the costs would be enormous already.

• Wow
Reactions: Star Platinum

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Hmm, well I certainly wouldn’t. That’s way too much money for a potentially devastating experience.

The only Sharks playoff game I have ever been to was game three of the WCF in 2011 against Vancouver. Was incredibly fortunate that was the only game they won that series. But I hardly even remember it, the only thing I remember about the game was that Marleau scored a goal or two and one of the Canucks defensemen almost died (Edler? Ballard?) and we had to stand in silence for like ten minutes while they attended to him.

Hopefully when the Sharks are back in the playoffs you will consider going, if it makes sense financially. Maybe not Cup Finals. I went to many Sharks playoffs games, and I do find them to be incredible experiences.

That said, I have a firm rule for Sharks playoffs games, a rule I think everyone should follow, but ultimately, I don't care if you do, but I certainly do: Putting aside money, I'll attend any Sharks home playoff game UNLESS it is a game where ONLY the Sharks can be eliminated.

Reason being, let's say it's Game 6, Sharks down 3-2 in a series. Sharks win the game to tie the series. You celebrate down Santa Clara St like crazy and have a good time...only for the Sharks to get down blown out 5-0 two days later in Game 7. To me, I feel like all the celebration you did was a waste. Now, yeah, sure, maybe it won't be a waste, but still. I've been to enough Sharks playoff games to know that every playoff win is celebrated like you just won the Cup. To me that rings hollow if you can be eliminated two days later. (and that's the best case scenario, the other scenario is the season ends in front of you)

Game 6 might be an lighter example, but take a series where the Sharks are trying to avoid getting swept and it's Game 4. Again, you celebrate like crazy and it feels hollow because they are still likely to be eliminated at some point.

I had the ability to attend every Sharks home playoff game from 05-09, either through buying tix or my season tix. The only ones I refused to attend were the ones where only the Sharks could be eliminated (06 Round 2 Game 6, 07 Round 2 Game 6, 08 Round 2 Game 5, 09 Round 1 Game 5). I did attend 08 Round 1 Game 7 though with my brother. Amazing experience.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I heard Conn Smythe voting happens now, in second intermission. Despite McDavid's game tonight, I still think he's been the MVP of the playoffs.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
It kinda makes sense that the Florida fans might sell game 7 tickets.. If they are like Sharks fans who would have been fatalistic about a reverse sweep and getting one third to half the next season tickets paid for instead of being devastated. Plus there is always the parade if they win.. not quite the same but sitting there dreading a reverse sweep could be bad for the health
:DD

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I don't know. He's been invisible in the two most important games of the most important series. That's a giant mark against him.

The counter is that the Conn Smythe is MVP of the entire playoffs, not Stanley Cup Finals MVP. He definitely wouldn't be Finals MVP to me.

Separately, I think there should be a Finals MVP award and that is what is awarded when the series ends. And save Conn Smythe for the awards night or whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad