2023-24 Mike Milbury Trophy (Worst GM)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hindsight. Dipietro was the widely regarded 1OV.

Sorta like 06 when it was Erik Johnson. Then you had a debate of 2-5 of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel - all of whom went on to be much better than Johnson.
And Loungo was just as good if not better prospect. Trade down if you have the opportunity,

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
It's baffling to me that they haven't made much of an effort to split up that core yet. The Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares core is not going to get it done. Too much money allocated into 4 forwards and the resulting lack of depth (and goaltending) kills them every single year in the Playoffs.

Dubas and Shanny refused to make any tough decisions and simply waited until things fell into place.

This is still happening in Toronto, leading leaf fans to believe Shanny is the one truly in charge of the direction.

Once again, leaf’s are waiting for things to fall in their laps’ vs making any real decisions. JT has an expiring contract, as does Marner. They will absolutely look to retain both as that’s easier than making any real sort of change.

Tre truly can’t be a contender for this award for his first season in Toronto. The man was completely handcuffed. No real tradeable assets, no draft picks, and no autonomy to make any real change.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's hard to choose between Dorion, Blake, Treliving, and Kekalainen.

I don't think Dubas belongs on the same level of any of those guys.
Agreed. And that’s really saying something given the EK transaction.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As of today, the Islanders are still paying Rick DiPietro $1.5 million per year... and will continue to so for five more years.

Given this, I think Milbury himself still deserves the 2024 Milbury.

That contract was signed months after Milbury left the team.

Tho there are rumours that the very thought of signing a goalie to a 15 year contract is why Milbury quit. Charles Wang tried to sign that contract in 2005 but the NHL, fresh off a lockout and new CBA, persuaded him not to. So when it came up again a year later, Milbury refused to have any part of it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ottawa?
Offseason expectations were for the playoffs, and they failed miserably.
GM's moves: Korpisalo was a bust. Chychurn was bad. Tarasenko was bad. Bad return on Debricant. Coach fired mid season.
Missed out on GM fired 3 weeks into season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As of today, the Islanders are still paying Rick DiPietro $1.5 million per year... and will continue to so for five more years.

Given this, I think Milbury himself still deserves the 2024 Milbury.
Milbury wasn’t there,

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Treliving's only mistake as GM was allowing everyone to believe he was the GM. His name should be replaced with Shanahan

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think we have a winner...

Blake with PLD was bad, but at least he cut his losses instead of compounding them. Jarmo for the Babcock hiring, but not like they were going anywhere anyways. Dubas is just general levels of suck, but not sure he has the same peak as Dorion above. Treliving, I think also sucks, but hasn't made major bad moves with the Leafs and we're a year late on his peak awfulness with the Huberdeau signing.

If a GM traded Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari and the 37th pick in the draft for Kuemper they'd be #1 for worst GM.

His "cut his losses" move was dumping PLD for a guy with even less upside and ability who was also terrible last year.

The 37th pick alone had more value than PLD or Kuemper does right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad